Geist Cheap (in case you didn't know)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Geist Cheap (in case you didn't know)

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 am

eyeknow wrote:I don't know how much I'll use it or how stable it is but I figured for 53 and change (had to pay CA tax) shipped it's worth it. Demoing now, confusing but interesting.
It's stable here on OSX, and FXpansion are far more PC centric as a company so. :)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:47 am

Someone (you know where) was mentioning a crash. That reminds me, where do you check what version you are running (this is the demo)

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Be sure to check out the tutorials: it's a very deep app. Things like the zoom to start or end buttons make chopping breaks (in my case) a breeze, and there are tons of other little features like that. Definite no brainer, I hope it means an update is on the way. The only thing geist lacks is a hardware controller, I prefer it to Maschine in many aspects.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Schmidi wrote:Better features that both MPC and Maschine.
how so ? i mean which features?
what does it bring to the table if i'm already using Live... Maschine2... and Battery?

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Since I'm not from the us... Anyone know if or were to buy it as a download version?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:30 pm

so it's shipping only?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Plus if you like you can send MIDI out to your other drum synths etc.
Unless you use Logic. NOT POSSIBLE. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:05 pm

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Plus if you like you can send MIDI out to your other drum synths etc.

Is that a flaw in Logic or FXpansion at this point? I've heard that AU have the ability to do MIDI out but Logic doesn't, so developers don't implement it for AU. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:

Is that a flaw in Logic or FXpansion at this point? I've heard that AU have the ability to do MIDI out but Logic doesn't, so developers don't implement it for AU. :x

I don’t know what the technical reason is but at this point its Logic's fault. You can’t send MIDI from any third party plugin to another track. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:43 pm

beats me wrote: I don’t know what the technical reason is but at this point its Logic's fault. You can’t send MIDI from any third party plugin to another track. :x
I agree, Logic, or the old Emagic team, and Apple are responsible for the Audio Unit Standard, and IMO although I mostly use AU over VST, it's fallen behind VST in functionality. Basically until Logic does MIDI out no third party plug in developer is going to bother to implement it in AU.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 pm

3dot... wrote:so it's shipping only?
I believe so. However, I don't know if there are other 3rd party vendors reducing their price as well. If so, one of them may have the downloadable version for sale.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: I don’t know what the technical reason is but at this point its Logic's fault. You can’t send MIDI from any third party plugin to another track. :x
I agree, Logic, or the old Emagic team, and Apple are responsible for the Audio Unit Standard, and IMO although I mostly use AU over VST, it's fallen behind VST in functionality. Basically until Logic does MIDI out no third party plug in developer is going to bother to implement it in AU.
I recall Urs from u-he making a similar statement, that the AU spec allowed for it but it was not supported by Apple.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Because of Logic’s BS I’m really curious about the upcoming new Trigger Finger because it has a built-in step sequencer that is done on the hardware end. If Logic just sees it the same way as a person tapping in beats with their fingers on any controller then that should work nicely.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:30 pm

UncleAge wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
I recall Urs from u-he making a similar statement, that the AU spec allowed for it but it was not supported by Apple.
Yeah Urs is the one who confirmed it. To be precise Apple created the AU spec, and do allow it, the Logic team at Apple however haven't bothered with it, and I suppose it could be a limitation of Logic? what that does though is make any other AU only device not be able to use the spec because plug in developers aren't going to spend time writing code that Logic can't use.

To be fair I don't think Digital Performer can send MIDI from a software instrument even with VST? I'll do some checking on it, but the way DP handles MIDI is very different from other DAWs so I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't? If that's the case then I get why plug in developers wouldn't bother, that's the two biggest DAWs that use AU besides Live.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:15 pm

But it would make sense if Apple offered their own solution to some things people want to do, but they don’t. You can’t even use the Ultrabeat step sequencer to drive anything except Ultrabeat.