Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
RD444

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by RD444 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:33 pm

ronmen wrote:ok. but in general LP95 is made for playing chords (pushing more than one button) ?
I play chords all the time on LP95

its one of the best features
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"
The bigger the project the more out of time it will be.

ayodio

Post by ayodio » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm

I don't have anything special to say but thanks, this is awesome.

It renders the launchpad so much more useful.

Thanks

dengelman

Post by dengelman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 am

mots wrote: i worked on integrating launchpad95 with Launchpad95Colour a little more.
for now we have custom colours for stepseq note editor and in instrument controller. still missing : mixer mode (not easy one), and note selector+loop selector in stepseq. but i guess that will help you a lot already !

For now i left the colours to the default in Launchpad95Colour script. i let you change them, as i am not colourblind myself i dont really know what would be the best for you. if you provide me with updated script i will happily update it on my site.
Hey mots, thanks so much for caring about the colour issue.
Unfortunately,I have not been able to get this working.
Can you please clarify the integration and setup for Launchpad colour?

I cannot get this working. Have copied all folders (Launchpad95, LaunchpadColour and Launchpad95Colour) to Midi Remote Scripts folder

In Ableton settings - if I select Control surface as:
- LP95 - works as intended (except I can't use as colourblind)
- LPColour - works as intended (my current default setting, as I can see which clip is playing in session view (flashing))
- LP95Colour - totally broken, do not even get red box and cannot use LP at all.

Hopefully I am missing something simple; perhaps could add extra line to the instructions?

Thanks in advance on behalf of the many colourblind LP users!

volumetric

Post by volumetric » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for this great script, having lots of fun with it, unfortunately one problem I keep encountering occurs when I cycle through the step sequences (user 2). Quite often after finishing building a pattern, hitting the user 2 button causes the pattern to disappear, I can get it back by hitting undo, but needless to say, this makes live use impractical. Using the latest version from your site and have been through the docs a bunch of times. Cant seem to figure out why its doing this. Seems to happen pretty randomly, some times I can spam the user 2 button and its fine, other times i'll press once after building a clip, and its gone. Thanks for your help/time.

EDIT: on closer inspection, it doesn't delete all the notes in the clip when I hit user 2, it seems to delete some notes and move others, to be honest I've no idea what its doing, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Also, it seems to do it more often just after I have edited or changed something in the clip, and then it usually happens with the first press of the user 2 button.

mots

Post by mots » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 pm

dengelman wrote: In Ableton settings - if I select Control surface as:
- LP95 - works as intended (except I can't use as colourblind)
- LPColour - works as intended (my current default setting, as I can see which clip is playing in session view (flashing))
- LP95Colour - totally broken, do not even get red box and cannot use LP at all.

Hopefully I am missing something simple; perhaps could add extra line to the instructions?

Thanks in advance on behalf of the many colourblind LP users!
Hello,

i just fixed the script Launchpad95Colour. download it again from my site.

cheers
Last edited by mots on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mots

Post by mots » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:16 pm

volumetric wrote:Thanks for this great script, having lots of fun with it, unfortunately one problem I keep encountering occurs when I cycle through the step sequences (user 2). Quite often after finishing building a pattern, hitting the user 2 button causes the pattern to disappear, I can get it back by hitting undo, but needless to say, this makes live use impractical. Using the latest version from your site and have been through the docs a bunch of times. Cant seem to figure out why its doing this. Seems to happen pretty randomly, some times I can spam the user 2 button and its fine, other times i'll press once after building a clip, and its gone. Thanks for your help/time.

EDIT: on closer inspection, it doesn't delete all the notes in the clip when I hit user 2, it seems to delete some notes and move others, to be honest I've no idea what its doing, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Also, it seems to do it more often just after I have edited or changed something in the clip, and then it usually happens with the first press of the user 2 button.
Hello

this has to do with the fact the melodic step sequencer, while loading a clip, will keep only the notes that are in the selected scale (plus some other tricks...). i will have to figure something out to avoid that.

meanwhile, as workaround, you can select a blank clip slot before leaving the step sequencer. this should avoid the problem you describe.

dengelman

Post by dengelman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:26 am

mots wrote:
dengelman wrote: Thanks in advance on behalf of the many colourblind LP users!
Hello,
i just fixed the script Launchpad95Colour. download it again from my site.
cheers
Works! Thanks! Will be donating!

maylortaylor

Note Repeat?

Post by maylortaylor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Hey Mots!

I'm curious, is there a 'note repeat' function in the User2's Combined Mode?

I see this feature on the Push and it really helps to build interesting hi-hats quickly. Especially when you switch the quantize while holding the note down.

I dont really see how this could be done with the slightly limited Launchpad setup but i'm sure you've thought of implementing it before. I am just curious if it was on your agenda for the future or if i should try and come up with my own way of emulating this feature from the Push.

LOVE your work!

senn

Post by senn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 am

Hi there
This script looks great.

I want you to tell me one.
Velocity default is set to 127 in the Instrument Controller Mode, but anywhere in the script may be rewritten in order to change the 110?

Or is there a way to manipulate from the launchpad?

thank you.

ronmen

Post by ronmen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

I m quite interested in another new walkthrough video. Is there anything online, except the original old one from '13 ?

maylortaylor

Post by maylortaylor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:09 am

senn wrote:Hi there
This script looks great.

Velocity default is set to 127 in the Instrument Controller Mode, but anywhere in the script may be rewritten in order to change the 110?

thank you.
You could use the MIDI effect "Velocity" to change the velocity input.

maylortaylor

Post by maylortaylor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 am

Possible bug:

Half of the launchpad's screen changes from usermode 1 (diatonic mode) to usermode 2 (combine mode) when you start a [record] clip on any track

(perhaps it is whenever you press the [session record button])

senn

Post by senn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:43 pm

maylortaylor wrote:
senn wrote:Hi there
This script looks great.

thank you.
You could use the MIDI effect "Velocity" to change the velocity input.
I tried the "velocity" midi effect, but the answer I wanted was not obtained.

MIDI tracks can not resolve the difference between the velocity of "step input" and "real-time input" for one.

It is OK.
I make only one midi truck "For real-time input"
and Will be distributed using the "MIDI To"

Is there a better way?

mots

Re: Note Repeat?

Post by mots » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 am

Hi all,
maylortaylor wrote:Hey Mots!
I'm curious, is there a 'note repeat' function in the User2's Combined Mode?
nope. i checked the code for the one from push, it uses custom hooks in the C api, totally undocumented. i prefer not to rely on a push only hack...

senn wrote: Velocity default is set to 127 in the Instrument Controller Mode, but anywhere in the script may be rewritten in order to change the 110?
this is the one thing that is really missing in live python api, mapping of note-in velocity... not doable as far as i know in the script.
maylortaylor wrote:Possible bug:
Half of the launchpad's screen changes from usermode 1 (diatonic mode) to usermode 2 (combine mode) when you start a [record] clip on any track
(perhaps it is whenever you press the [session record button])
i tried reproduce this one without success. maybe my version has some additional fixes. i will release it soon !
volumetric wrote:Thanks for this great script, having lots of fun with it, unfortunately one problem I keep encountering occurs when I cycle through the step sequences (user 2). Quite often after finishing building a pattern, hitting the user 2 button causes the pattern to disappear, I can get it back by hitting undo, but needless to say, this makes live use impractical. Using the latest version from your site and have been through the docs a bunch of times. Cant seem to figure out why its doing this. Seems to happen pretty randomly, some times I can spam the user 2 button and its fine, other times i'll press once after building a clip, and its gone. Thanks for your help/time.
bug is fixed in my source.
i will release a new version in the coming days.

cheers

Epi Ego

Post by Epi Ego » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:56 am

I am teaching a kids class using launchpad95 and kudos it is absolutely awesome! I have all the kids plugged into a usb hub with their own launchpad mini and they all run into one ableton live program that I am controlling and they see themselves on their own track on the big screen. Is there any way to lock each controller so that when I have selected a track they can keep playing whatever instrument they have loaded on their own controller does not change? I can't seem to figure that out.