Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmreal04

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:10 pm

You forgot the new Ableton Live 9 template.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:11 pm

cmreal04 wrote:You forgot the new Ableton Live 9 template.
Yes I did. :D
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:07 pm

You also forgot:
  • The new Grit kick engine for the drum synth ("a modern, versatile electronic kick drum – great for IDM and electro styles.")
  • The new Shaker Performer creates tweakable, natural-sounding shaker patterns automatically.
  • The sample recording screen now lets you sample directly to different pads.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:17 pm

delicioso wrote:You also forgot:
  • The new Grit kick engine for the drum synth ("a modern, versatile electronic kick drum – great for IDM and electro styles.")
  • The new Shaker Performer creates tweakable, natural-sounding shaker patterns automatically.
  • The sample recording screen now lets you sample directly to different pads.
That too! :D It's a great update!!!! This is still all new to me. I just got Maschine about a week ago.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

panten

Post by panten » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 pm

That shaker Performer is dynamite; really nice swing.

This update seems really solid.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:12 am

deva wrote:Good thing there is different stuff for different people.

I love my Push and I have zero interest to work in a second computer based DAW environment (Maschine). If I were to try and get more mouse free, I'd go more computer free as well and get an Octatrack.

I purchased Komplete 9 last year cause it was an absurdly cheap price and the box has sat here for months. I finally opened it and installed today and then spent hours trying the various instruments out. I have some interest to explore the Reaktor user library a bit... otherwise I would uninstall it tomorrow and sell it. It's all good stuff, but I'm not gonna use it. Everything in there I have other plugins that cover that ground that I like better or in the case of Kontakt, I just have no interest in.
Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at with things. I always found the octatrack very appealing, but the trigger finger pros is where my money's at, and should allow me to stay in Live exclusively. The only reason I'm outside Live at all is to use my "standalone" step sequencer piece, so this should work out nice!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:43 am

I dunno. I keep thinking about updating maschine but I'm kinda outta space and kicked the controller off the porch after getting push.

deva

Post by deva » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:36 am

cmreal04 wrote:I always found the octatrack very appealing, but the trigger finger pros is where my money's at, and should allow me to stay in Live exclusively. The only reason I'm outside Live at all is to use my "standalone" step sequencer piece, so this should work out nice!
For that price, why not save and get a Push? Better step sequencer... and of course it is designed to work with Live and has 64 pads...

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:56 am

deva wrote:
cmreal04 wrote:I always found the octatrack very appealing, but the trigger finger pros is where my money's at, and should allow me to stay in Live exclusively. The only reason I'm outside Live at all is to use my "standalone" step sequencer piece, so this should work out nice!
For that price, why not save and get a Push? Better step sequencer... and of course it is designed to work with Live and has 64 pads...
I do own push, but that's not how I work with drums...just a personal workflow preference.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:47 pm

cmreal04 wrote:
deva wrote:I purchased Komplete 9 last year cause it was an absurdly cheap price... I have some interest to explore the Reaktor user library a bit... otherwise I would uninstall it tomorrow
+1

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm finding all kinds of little improvements with this update that were not even mentioned, like the prehear level now being remembered.

Maschine 2.1's Live 9 templates are much improved as well, especially visual feedback where on some of the pages (display/knobs), you now get parameter name and value feedback from Live. The navigation in session view is improved, and some functions that were previously exclusive to Push are now available from Maschine as well, such as changing a Live clip's start/end/loop directly via the encoders. Even with Drum Rack there's more LED feedback so the pads with samples/instruments loaded light up. Now instead of moving up a whole octave it moves up one row of pads. It's worth checking out all the changes in the new manual addendum.

deva

Post by deva » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm

cmreal04 wrote:
deva wrote:
I do own push, but that's not how I work with drums...just a personal workflow preference.
How do you work with drums? Or, what would you do with TFP that is different from Push?

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 am

I use my rhizome for drums/percussion. I use the step sequencer to make a drum pattern, add variations, chain all 4 parts together, 16 bars total, and export to Live. I'll use the trigger in the same fashion, but without having to export and creating variations more on the fly as I expand on my melody etc via push.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 am

cmreal04 wrote:I use my rhizome for drums/percussion. I use the step sequencer to make a drum pattern, add variations, chain all 4 parts together, 16 bars total, and export to Live. I'll use the trigger in the same fashion, but without having to export and creating variations more on the fly as I expand on my melody etc via push.
Of course, do what you wish... but that seems like a lot of money to spend for the TFP just to do what Push already does...