Abandoning the computer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RSJ

Re: Abandoning the computer

Post by RSJ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:55 am

I'd rather no computer at all. I want something I can just pick up and play with. Having something I can stick in a backpack and use when I travel is also appealing.
If I was you then I would get an Elektron Analog Four

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gww3D6c4kyA

Have Fun

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:38 am

I know the "no bloody computer" feel, it's a returning crisis peak in a musician's life. Been through it more than once.

So one gets a MIDI workstation or groovebox instead (which is a Windows computer too, BTW, it just doesn't tell you), then a second, than hooks the two together one day, then gets a computer eventually anyway to record them, then before you know suddenly Ableton is back... that's life.

Or, I heard they now sell some thingus called Electronic Octatruckulator... supposedly that's not a computer at all, it's powered by tamed hamsters inside.

Well, there is always the acoustic guitar (or ukulele) and singing... :-)

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:33 pm

RSJ wrote:
I'd rather no computer at all. I want something I can just pick up and play with. Having something I can stick in a backpack and use when I travel is also appealing.
If I was you then I would get an Elektron Analog Four

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gww3D6c4kyA

Have Fun

the workflow seem to be great but i dont like the sound.

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:41 pm

So which of the elektron boxes offers the best all in 1 solution?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:58 pm

OT,definitely.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:40 pm

GreatExpectations wrote:No recommendations for the OP-1? After watching lots of vids I think this thing looks great. The only thing I'm hesitant about is the 4 track tape recorder thing, but maybe that's part of the charm.
you can't be serious... :roll:

deva

Post by deva » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:45 pm

GreatExpectations wrote:So which of the elektron boxes offers the best all in 1 solution?
Octatrack

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:30 pm

There is no 'all in one solution' so forget what people are saying only if you want to spend hours in front of a tiny screen trying to program. Before computers musicians use to record to tape. Thankfully, things have progressed a little but what you need is a guitar, drum machine, synth and a Tascam DP-32

As it says on the tin "The TASCAM DIGITAL PORTASTUDIO DP-24 and DP-32 are the best and most affordable way to remove the mind-numbing glow of the computer screen from personal recording."

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:26 pm

MPC 1000 with jjos would probably be my 2nd choice to the Octatrack.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Outside of pursuing the joke, the OT is mentioned over and over for good reason.
It's very close to an all in one solution.
It's not analogue, nor does it provide typical synthesis.
It does have, 8 Audio Tracks, 8 Midi Tracks, with variable sequencing lengths, plocks, recordable incoming midi, sampling using 3 different techniques, great effects.
You can do so much with the OT by itself, which makes me think it's a good starting point when ditching the computer.
This also makes it a strange device to get used too. It's complex when learning how to sample, and the relationship between Banks Patterns and Parts can be tricky to completely understand.
Not everyone jives with it.
I got one about 5 months ago. I'm about a year into ditching the computer as a part of my music creating rig, for the same reasons you stated.
Everything really came together with the OT.
I tried the controller thing for years and still ended up clicking away at my inspiration till it seemed gone.
Granted the OT is not a whole lot different, and even though it's complex, it does offer limitations, which for me was necessary to get out of the black hole of limitless options using software.

For me the hardest part in putting the computer away, is the withdraw of the comfort zone I had established with it.
Live offers some amazing ideas with routing midi and audio tracks, and I had also become addicted to a few reaktor devices that cant be replaced in a piece of hardware.
I tried incorporating the Laptop back in a couple times until I reached the point of no return.

deva

Post by deva » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:10 pm

I could not do without the computer cause I love some of my softsynths too much to give up... especially Bazille...

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 pm

OK, so to sum things up

1. Why spend $500 on a vertical computer brick whose interface many can't stand
2. We are here to solve the OP's problem no matter what is costs him, so...
3. ...try this $1000 horizontal computer brick whose interface many can't stand... :D

(Sorry, just couldn't resist)

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 am

mrdelurk wrote:OK, so to sum things up

1. Why spend $500 on a vertical computer brick whose interface many can't stand
2. We are here to solve the OP's problem no matter what is costs him, so...
3. ...try this portable $1000 horizontal computer brick whose interface many can't stand... :D

(Sorry, just couldn't resist)
Fixed.

To the OP. I hope you return here after you make your decision with feedback on how it is going with your new solution. Esp if you get either the OP-1 or Octatrack.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 pm

mrdelurk wrote:...try this $1000 horizontal computer brick whose interface many can't stand... :D
I could get nitpicky and say some instead of many. The OT forums and countless videos posted seem to indicate many people love interfacing with it.
Octatracks still sell for an average of $1000 years after it's release.
So if your not satisfied with it after a year or so, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it, or very close.
I dont think I could get half of what I paid for my computer a year after purchasing it.
Cost is relative.
If the OP was already considering an OP-1, I assume he/she can afford it, so offering a $1000 solution does not feel so "no matter what" to me.

alexdecker

Post by alexdecker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm

I did the Octatrack thing for a while, for the same reasons as the OP stated. I realised though, that it wasn't sitting in front of the computer that killed my creativity – it was using the computer FOR ALL OF IT that killed my creativity. Soft synths, composing with a midikeyboard, staring at the screen, clicking away to add effects and such. That's when I decided to move out of the box. I got myself a drum synth, two hardware synths and a piano (check the post on page 342 in Setups/Sexycats to see it), and I used those to compose on. My computer suddenly just became a glorified tape recorder, that I could tape my ideas into. Much the same as I did with Octatrack. But for that, the computer is a lot more fleksible though.

What I miss in the Octatrack though, is that incredible MIDI sequencer, and in general, the timing of the thing is waaaaaay better than Ableton.

Anyways, just something for you to consider.

– Alex