Severe memory problems!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
elemental

Severe memory problems!!

Post by elemental » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:17 pm

I'm working on a track I started in Live 4

Disk + CPU so high its unworkable

I check memory in task manager - its like 1.3Gb!!!

So I delete kontakt hoping to free up mem ... it hen jumps to 1.47 .. then load kontakt again ... jumps to 1.68 Gb ... then live runs out of memory

I also got this just by openeing kontakt to delete some instruments

Any ideas on how to free up this memory, and is this a memory leak somewhere?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:22 pm

ive noticed several live issues with memory leaks. there is a very noticable one involving Trilogy & Stylus. I dont use many other VST's so I have not noticed it on them.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:09 pm

I had some very wierd memory activity recently with a toshiba laptop that had had a new install of XP with SP2.
One by one tried deleting plugs and my midi floorboard and longer clips, no dice. Same problem, CPU usage was jumping to 300%. Then I went in to the XP advanced system properties page and switched performance option pref from Programs to Background Services and the problem disappeared.

I remembered this tip from a previous setup for audio on a PC.

Hope you get yr prob sorted.

Best
Chris

amd 2600, 1gig ddr333 ram, samsung spinpoint 160 7200rpm HD, m-audio firewire 410, xp pro sp1
which works a lot better than toshiba laptop with 756mb ram and unspecified probably 5400 HD....................

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:15 pm

ok this is getting silly now

I am working on another tune, which also need to be finished soon, loaded from fresh and mem use went up t 1.2 Gb ... swapped windows ... 1.4Gb ... back to Live ... now 1.62Gb ... WTF!???

EDIT: then went up to 1.81Gb and my comp groung to a halt!

If anyone has a good way of reducing mem use, or anything in particular I can
do to help this, would be much appreciated.

Nod

Post by Nod » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:32 pm

elemental wrote:ok this is getting silly now

I am working on another tune, which also need to be finished soon, loaded from fresh and mem use went up t 1.2 Gb ... swapped windows ... 1.4Gb ... back to Live ... now 1.62Gb ... WTF!???

If anyone has a good way of reducing mem use, or anything in particular I can do to help this, would be much appreciated.
Sorry if it appears like I'm hijacking, as opposed to suggesting solutions, but I've mentioned something similar in this thread:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25352

AdamJay, amongst others, also contributed some strange figures as regards RAM usage, virtual mem and paging file activity. Any chance of one of the Abe's looking into this and giving us some source stats for the application?

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:30 pm

update:

it seems just the simple act of switching to task manager to check memory usage increases Live's memory usage!

without doing anything else, the set i'm working with, which starts with total mem used (by the system, not just Live) at 900Mb .... switch back 1.2Gb, again 1.4 ...... u see where this is going... its very strange. With Live on its own with an empty set total mem use is at about 300Mb,

At least I have managed, through freezing/bouncing and getting rid of unneeded tracks / plugins, I can just about work on this tune I need to finish. But boy is it frustrating!! This sort of stuff just kills inspiration dead.

Nod

Post by Nod » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:49 pm

elemental wrote:update:

it seems just the simple act of switching to task manager to check memory usage increases Live's memory usage!

without doing anything else, the set i'm working with, which starts with total mem used (by the system, not just Live) at 900Mb .... switch back 1.2Gb, again 1.4 ...... u see where this is going... its very strange. With Live on its own with an empty set total mem use is at about 300Mb,

At least I have managed, through freezing/bouncing and getting rid of unneeded tracks / plugins, I can just about work on this tune I need to finish. But boy is it frustrating!! This sort of stuff just kills inspiration dead.
Hope you get it finished man - I've got a sizeable production job that I'd really like to take over to 5 but due to the memory issues I'll stick with 4 just for the legroom. I got 200+Mb for an empty set in 5 - compared to 40Mb for 4.

Could someone from the Abe's please acknowledge the issue? Please don't think I'm expecting or demanding immediate solutions here - but there's definitely a problem for some users.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:29 pm

Yeah, just checked on my system and this is happening too. Try running a live project and opening Task Manager, switch to performance tab. You can literally wathc the amount of Available Physical memory decrease slowly but steadily. This is with no plug ins and only a couple of small loops repeating too.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Live "glitching" sometimes when triggering only a clip or two, swapping memory with the page file?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:26 am

hey guys, just noticed this thread so i'll post a link to mine.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25273

Basically, ive got the same issue as all you guys. The only way i found to get around it was to switch audio drivers to asio4all instead of my motu drivers... other than that, i neeeed to finish these projects and i absolutly don't want to mix through my laptops internal soundcard :D

-tim

miscreat

Post by miscreat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:18 am

i used to have stuttering from (seemingly?) lack of memory in v3 occasionally, but usually only after i'd left the machine for a while and the screensaver kicked in, or after using it for several hours. Reboot usually fixes it. The time thing made me think it most likely a memory leak.

now in v5 it sometimes happen after i boot up and open live straight away. Even closing and re-opening live doesn't fix it, full reboot required.

It sometimes happens if i switch from ableton to firefox (and other apps) then back aftera few minutes. admittedly i have loads and loads of samples in the set but CPU never hits more than 15-20% max, seems to be a memory problem, as if the samples aren't being stored in memory. but it's not just an initial stutter while it loads the sample it keeps on repeating. i have 1Gb ram but Ableton takes about 1/3 of that and there's nothing else running but zonealarm...

AMD 2500+
1Gb RAM
Soundblaster Platinum Live + Live Drive
kx Audio Drivers (however I had the problem mentioned above in v3 before i used the kx audio drivers).

Anyone get any answers on this..?

cyclyk

Post by cyclyk » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:47 am

it started to annoy me too, on Xp home, 768Mo RAM.... never have so much memory problems before....

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:02 am

just to edit my last post... it isnt only with the Motu drivers like I thought. It happens with all ASIO drivers after a certain project size is reached.

I also get a C++ runtime error sometimes with REWIRE.DLL as the culprit.

I renamed all rewire.dll's on my machine and the problem still happened even after a reboot, so I'm assuming the dll is compiled into the live program...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:17 am

timothyallan wrote:just to edit my last post... it isnt only with the Motu drivers like I thought. It happens with all ASIO drivers after a certain project size is reached.

I also get a C++ runtime error sometimes with REWIRE.DLL as the culprit.

I renamed all rewire.dll's on my machine and the problem still happened even after a reboot, so I'm assuming the dll is compiled into the live program...
yes and also windows keeps backup versions of DLL's in case they get corrupted, they will reinstall..

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:25 am

Yes, system DLL's. Rewire by default isnt installed by windows so xp doesnt care if it gets renamed etc... Also, if the DLL was located in DLLCache or the other cached folders, i would have got it as well ;)

-t