Waves Kramer Master Tape plug-in

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TheNobleNemesis

Waves Kramer Master Tape plug-in

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Utterly amazing. If you haven't tried it out yet, i'd definitely recommend it.

H20nly

Re: Waves Kramer Master Tape plug-in

Post by H20nly » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:34 am

still on sale?

TheNobleNemesis

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:59 am

Nah, but Waves won't refuse if you offer to buy it for $30. Sale ended last week and I managed buying it yesterday for $30.

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 am

Really wish I would have caught that sale the other day.

Anyway, how do you like to use it?

braduro

Post by braduro » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Does this plug-in fit the niche of an exciter? How does it weigh against other dedicated options?

Honestly, I a/b'd the settings under a youtube review, as well as watched the 1hr long seminar with it's creator. Granted a highly compressed audio file will not reveal the subtleties of a high res. audio signature, and I could hear the obvious presets that are intended to color the sound or to impact a solo instrument. Nonetheless, I wonder if this isn't just a sugar pill that makes people feel like they enhanced their master?

Can you personally hear "the coldness" of digital now that interfaces are made with good pre-amps and a/d conversion, bit-depth and sample rates can accommodate dynamics, and while jitter can be mitigated with good clock? Is Waves Kramer an emulation of an 1/2", 30 ips flatbed reel-to-reel? I think even Bob Katz might argue that analog has it's own constraints, and if you are compromising your tape choice and nonetheless still comparing it to a good digital system, then all bets are off.

As a follow up, if you do hear the difference without it, do your ears appreciate the marginal advantage of using this plug-in over native ableton devices? Aren't there other ways to make a mix sound more warm, or vital and vibrant? Is this worth the processing cost of taking on another plug-in to your workflow, particularly if you are a Live Live player?

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:31 pm

I got it in the sale. On bass, for example, I slap it on and adjust to taste. I then level match and close my eyes while clicking on the on off button to do an A/B. Invariably it sounds better with KMT. It's a soundgoodizer for me.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:52 am

braduro wrote:Does this plug-in fit the niche of an exciter? How does it weigh against other dedicated options?

Honestly, I a/b'd the settings under a youtube review, as well as watched the 1hr long seminar with it's creator. Granted a highly compressed audio file will not reveal the subtleties of a high res. audio signature, and I could hear the obvious presets that are intended to color the sound or to impact a solo instrument. Nonetheless, I wonder if this isn't just a sugar pill that makes people feel like they enhanced their master?

Can you personally hear "the coldness" of digital now that interfaces are made with good pre-amps and a/d conversion, bit-depth and sample rates can accommodate dynamics, and while jitter can be mitigated with good clock? Is Waves Kramer an emulation of an 1/2", 30 ips flatbed reel-to-reel? I think even Bob Katz might argue that analog has it's own constraints, and if you are compromising your tape choice and nonetheless still comparing it to a good digital system, then all bets are off.

As a follow up, if you do hear the difference without it, do your ears appreciate the marginal advantage of using this plug-in over native ableton devices? Aren't there other ways to make a mix sound more warm, or vital and vibrant? Is this worth the processing cost of taking on another plug-in to your workflow, particularly if you are a Live Live player?
I find it more useful as an effect, as tape has an interesting distortion to it, which I like to use as a total contrast to the precision and clarity of digital. Not sure how useful it would be on masters (I got it in the sale as well), unless you were aiming for that sound.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:18 am

braduro wrote:I wonder if this isn't just a sugar pill that makes people feel like they enhanced their master?
yeah, it's a sweet plugin on any track, master, whatever...
Is this worth the processing cost of taking on another plug-in to your workflow, particularly if you are a Live Live player?
yes

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Actually, shoving it on the master is a lot of fun! Crank up the settings and its instant 60's garage. :mrgreen: Time to put the synths down and pick up the cheap guitars.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 am

I bought it sight unseen for 29 bucks and quite like it.

For that price the throw on master sugar pill is quite nice :mrgreen:

Fav setting? Big and open.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:27 am

Yep. Nice saturator plugin. Cheesy interface though

TheNobleNemesis

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 pm

re:dream wrote:Yep. Nice saturator plugin. Cheesy interface though
As opposed to the Waves interfaces that look like they were made in the 90's? :lol:

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:18 pm

you should check out U-He´s "Satin"

Best Tape Emulation i tried - super musical presets and a lovely glueing/saturation effect - highly recommended

http://www.u-he.com/cms/satin

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:12 pm

The name really makes me think of Kramer from Seinfeld, lol. Wonder if it there is any relation to the Kramer from Kramer guitars?

Anyway, the wow and flutter function is what I want to play around with on this thing. Does it make your audio sound like your tripping on mushrooms?

Throwing it on the master is what I want to try too.

Hope it goes on sale again.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Nick Shepherd wrote:you should check out U-He´s "Satin"

Best Tape Emulation i tried - super musical presets and a lovely glueing/saturation effect - highly recommended

http://www.u-he.com/cms/satin
exactly! best ever