Global Tuning & Scales

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Division Monarchy

Global Tuning & Scales

Post by Division Monarchy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Not sure if this has been requested, but a Global Tuning which would allow A at 432Hz instead on 440Hz, along with different tempered scales such as the option to choose between Pythagorean and Equal Tempered... I realize that a M4L patch can achieve some of this, but it would be a better implementation in Global Parameters, such as how Logic does it.

ansolas

Re: Global Tuning & Scales

Post by ansolas » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:00 am

This is what I am also looking for.

Its so hard to play with other musicians which tune their instruments NOT to 440Hz
Last edited by ansolas on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Interesting article about the 432Hz Tuning:
http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... -to-432hz/

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am

Thats how it should looks like in Live either, there is even Hermode Tuning (HMT) which we all loved so much from the Access Virus:

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 am

Exactly. That is the specific reason I want 432Hz tuning. It is mathematically more correct & is more in harmony with nature & such (providing one believes in the theory, although one would have to be insane to argue with Tesla) ... I personally find it more soothing.

How I wish those screenshots were a real thing in Live right now. Ableton is hands down the most creative program & this feature would open up so many more doors. It's implemented very well in Logic, but I just don't want to go back to Logic (Apple has dropped the ball with Logic I think)...

In the meantime, maybe I can try to learn enough M4L to write such a patch, but it's such a complex program for me to grasp in many ways. But it might be the best option for now...

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:33 pm

See also here:

"Pure tuning for that extra punch": Cubase 7 will be featured with Hermode Tuning, available since Dec 5. 2012.
(CUBASE 7 - THE PRODUCER'S CHOICE)
http://www.hermode.com/index_en.html

Arturo Gil

Post by Arturo Gil » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:46 pm

bump

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:46 pm

+1.

I'd love to see this in Live.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm afraid the issue is not on host site, it's VST side. VST plugins receive midi information and only then translate it to frequency internally.

So unfortunatelly Live or any other host has nothing to do with it, unless you use only built-in instruments... which you do not.

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Warmonger wrote:I'm afraid the issue is not on host site, it's VST side. VST plugins receive midi information and only then translate it to frequency internally.

So unfortunatelly Live or any other host has nothing to do with it, unless you use only built-in instruments... which you do not.
Logic is a host and comes with this feature even for VSTs

Jorge3

Post by Jorge3 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 am

Warmonger wrote:I'm afraid the issue is not on host site, it's VST side. VST plugins receive midi information and only then translate it to frequency internally.

[...]

A host may not be able to set (e.g.) "A4 = 432Hz" for all VSTs, but it should be able to set "A4 = -32 cents" for all VSTs to achieve the same result.

AL could have an improved version of the MIDI Pitch effect capable of handling cents, combine it with the transpose mechanism that is already used for audio clips, connect this unit to every track by default, and put its interface somewhere in the top bar.

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 am

Jorge3 wrote:

[...]

A host may not be able to set (e.g.) "A4 = 432Hz" for all VSTs, but it should be able to set "A4 = -32 cents" for all VSTs to achieve the same result.

AL could have an improved version of the MIDI Pitch effect capable of handling cents, combine it with the transpose mechanism that is already used for audio clips, connect this unit to every track by default, and put its interface somewhere in the top bar.
In logic you can even tune each single key !

Kruzi

Post by Kruzi » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:04 am

I would also be interested in this micro-tuning feature being implemented in Live.
How complex would it be to engineer though?
Judging by the number of people on this thread it doesn't seem like demand will reach critical mass anytime soon...
Has anyone come across a new viable alternative, maybe a home made M4L device?
:?:

driven

Post by driven » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:58 am

Me too. It's inexcusable to have both tuning and temperament hard-coded in an $800 music software package. It's a disqualifying defect for anybody interested in making ancient, experimental, or simply non-standard music. Make this happen!

I could actually see me going to a competitor over this. And trust me this is going to be a more and more popular feature in the coming years. Somebody said Logic has this nailed?

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:21 am

Division Monarchy wrote:Exactly. That is the specific reason I want 432Hz tuning. It is mathematically more correct & is more in harmony with nature & such (providing one believes in the theory, although one would have to be insane to argue with Tesla) ... I personally find it more soothing.
Placebo?

Feed your instrument tracks a -10 to -40 cent PB offset looking at spectrum and tuner until you hit desired result. Duplicate on all tracks then you have 432 calibration.