Custom browser categories for VSTs in Push

Discuss Push with other users.
fistikuffs

Custom browser categories for VSTs in Push

Post by fistikuffs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 am

Hi, I know it was possible on an earlier version of Live 9 to use a de-compiled BrowserComponent.pyc and the Virtualfolders.cfg file to hack the browser into something more useful (as in the Djlimbs hack) but my understanding is that this doesn't work in 9.1.2 or am I mistaken? Can I use the de-compiled file from the earlier version of Live to do this hack or do I need to find an updated version.

Seriously, while I don't think the new browser totally sucks, i do think it's ridiculous not to allow some customization, the default categories are mostly useless.

Thanks

phyxia

Re: Custom browser categories for VSTs in Push

Post by phyxia » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:08 am

This is how I have mine set up in Live 9.1.1:
Places at the top of Push browser.

Places -> VST name -> Category (Bass or W/e) -> Preset

Live 8 Library, User Library, Packs all at the bottom of places.

Drag your VST instrument racks into Places on the left hand side of Live and create a folder structure however you want to show up in Push. The racks have to be located in your user library folder.

This also includes the drum pad categories hack. Backup your push midi remote script folder first.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:32 am

phyxia wrote:This is how I have mine set up in Live 9.1.1:
Places at the top of Push browser.

Places -> VST name -> Category (Bass or W/e) -> Preset

Live 8 Library, User Library, Packs all at the bottom of places.

Drag your VST instrument racks into Places on the left hand side of Live and create a folder structure however you want to show up in Push. The racks have to be located in your user library folder.

This also includes the drum pad categories hack. Backup your push midi remote script folder first.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web
This is fantastic thank you! I'll give it a go tonight and I'll report back. Thanks again!

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 pm

No joy. :| Maybe it's broken in 9.1.2. When i put the virtualfolder.cfg and the browsercomponent.py in their respective folders the browser breaks on Push. Blank display and lights out on the buttons below the LCD. Any suggestions?

phyxia

Post by phyxia » Sat May 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Here's some modified files that I pulled from the latest beta. See if they work with 9.1.2. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Sun May 04, 2014 5:57 pm

phyxia wrote:Here's some modified files that I pulled from the latest beta. See if they work with 9.1.2. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web
Thanks dude, that seems better, the browser works, Places is on the top of the Push browser but the Current Project is still there, under User library. It hasn't picked up my custom folders yet but maybe I need to go back to the original tutorial to look into that.

Thanks again

phyxia

Post by phyxia » Sun May 04, 2014 11:58 pm

For VST presets, create a folder named VST in /Users/YourName/Music/Ableton/User Library/ and put your presets inside. Then drag each folder inside of the VST folder to the left hand side of Ableton under where it says "Places".

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Tue May 06, 2014 9:20 am

phyxia wrote:For VST presets, create a folder named VST in /Users/YourName/Music/Ableton/User Library/ and put your presets inside. Then drag each folder inside of the VST folder to the left hand side of Ableton under where it says "Places".

Thanks again, I'll try that this evening and will report back.

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Fri May 09, 2014 7:43 pm

phyxia wrote:For VST presets, create a folder named VST in /Users/YourName/Music/Ableton/User Library/ and put your presets inside. Then drag each folder inside of the VST folder to the left hand side of Ableton under where it says "Places".
This worked a treat! Thanks :D