Proper PDC for Automation

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
2bus

Proper PDC for Automation

Post by 2bus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:37 pm

I know it's an old gripe .. but when working with projects that contain a lot of heavy processing where latency is high the automation curves are not
in sync with the audio. This means that any automation curves/points are always out of sync by whatever the currently PDC value is.

Shocking really :)

2bus

Re: Proper PDC for Automation

Post by 2bus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Anybody encountered this problem?

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:09 pm

yes +1. ....but ableton is not alone. some other daws have this too.

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:58 pm

I still have a big issue with this bug, too.
Yes, ableton is not alone here, but I don't compare live with the "bad" competitors, but with the usable ones, and they actually do it very well. It is still very annoying and there hasn't been any little progress since a whole year now.
As soon as I reach the submix workflow or need to do automation in live, I can just forget about my projects. I cannot finish them, it's a hazzle! Still the only true message is: If you use 3rd party plugins with remarkable delay like 50ms+ within a track, forget about automation, forget about metering and forget about the song position. So forget about making music. And forget about fun. Sorry.
Bitwig 1.0, Live8 Suite Boxed, Studio One Professional, Melodyne Assistant
Komplete Ultimate, Sylenth, Ozone5

Delie

Post by Delie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Yup, this is annoying.

It's not actually a bug, more of a missing feature to be fair, but it makes it pretty much impossible for me to work with Ableton Live with the plugins that I use.

Hurry up + add this feature please :)

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:22 am

And another year is over and this very annoying bug that is blocking me from using live is still not fixed. If i read the beta test discussion of live9, its even not fixed in there.
I really feel being ass kicked by ableton. It cannot be that this company is not willing to fix those bugs.
Instead of adding some instruments in live9 i would have expected that automation delay compensation, metering sync and position locater sync can be fixed in 2 years. A good development team can fix this is a week!
Ts ts ts :-?

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:16 pm

+1 year

yudhisthira

Post by yudhisthira » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:46 pm

please tell us something ableton ffs

yudhisthira

Post by yudhisthira » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:09 am

bump

wineburgler

Post by wineburgler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:33 pm

It would be very nice if Ableton addressed this very REAL issue.

Rold

Post by Rold » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 am

Bump

This should be fixed as soon as possible.

unix23

Post by unix23 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Bump.

shinito

Post by shinito » Tue May 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi there, Ableton Live users and developers:

After some years with this issue I've tested by myself following this method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tstw68U-24w

In that video you can see how unacceptable is the PDC in Ableton Live and how Bitwig works the same matter out, and I've got exactly the same results.

So, as Ableton Live is a live performing oriented DAW and noticing how important is PDC for that purpose, and being that Bitwig's outhere now apparently doing a good job on it (meaning that it is indeed possible to solve it), it's just UNBELIEVABLE that Live, around version 9 and 13 years old now what means a little while of development advantage, hasn't addressed this issue yet. And of course, Ableton team is aware about this issue and the fact that Bitwig, being that young, has addressed this properly from its birth.

I posted to support team, and they told me so, and added that they "feel that, despite this difference, Live is still an optimal tool for live performance, as well as studio productions", and I partially agree (otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it). But the truth is that it's been really disappointing having such an important limitation to use this tool, especially in live situations, being committed to use rendered audio to avoid problems. It's frustrating that the only way to get accurary in Live is using it as a multi loop/track player as if it was MLR, and not as the actually real time modifiable devices setup that it was intended and announced to be, and I came for to.

Please, Ableton Live developers, this is a high priority (already owed for years) address in near future updates!!!

Rold

Post by Rold » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:57 am

Sometimes I think that they just don't know how to fix it. Hope they will hire someone who can solve this problem.

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 am

Rold wrote:Sometimes I think that they just don't know how to fix it. Hope they will hire someone who can solve this problem.
Thats what i think too:
they have no code brains for the engine. They do some dev outside the core product. Ie instruments, ui stuff etc. But they dont touch the engine. Poor.