Abandoning the computer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Abandoning the computer

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:29 pm

He has his own forum now, Nebulounge.

continuous

Post by continuous » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:23 pm

GreatExpectations wrote:Received my analog four yesterday. Having great fun so far, twisting knobs and pressing buttons. The main thing I haven't got my head around so far is the filing system (sounds, tracks, projects etc.). If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
Conratz - it's VERY ADDICTIVE! I've had one for a few weeks and and really digging it!

I have also found the file structure confusing. I posted up on the Elektronauts forum recently regarding this and received some good help and clarification. My issue was that I thought my kits were disappearing! A file structure diagram that a forum user posted helped me understand a bit better (it's in the manual).

There is a learning curve (for me at least) but that was, to some extent, why I purchased the A4 - to challenge myself to build my own sounds from init and to take a break from the computer.

enjoy

edit: GreatExpectations did you receive any kind of response after registering online?

deva

Post by deva » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Tarekith wrote:Unless he was hired in the last few months, nope. A lot of companies use power users at trade shows, our own Neb presented for Ableton at Namm once.
I hope he gets some compensation for all those demos... I'm sure he has sold lots of Elektron boxes...

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm loving the A4 so far... though now I want a machinedrum too...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:55 pm

deva wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Unless he was hired in the last few months, nope. A lot of companies use power users at trade shows, our own Neb presented for Ableton at Namm once.
I hope he gets some compensation for all those demos... I'm sure he has sold lots of Elektron boxes...
he got an Elektron Octatrack

you should too.

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi Tarekith,

What's the best way for me to link up the machinedrum and my A4? Run the machinedrum into the A4? I'm concerned that this then costs me 1 of my four channels/tracks on the A4.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 01, 2014 1:00 am

Never had an A4, no idea :)

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu May 01, 2014 2:50 am

Yea Dataline and Cuckoo music are just power users. I've been on the RYTM forums watching Dataline push the device to the limit. Sooner or later my retail preorder will come in and i will go ape.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

estibi

Post by estibi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Old thread, but I need to share my thoughts on this :)

I ordered A4 recently. The device is really what I needed, no longer tweaking a synth patch using mouse..
Live/Push in a next version should probably work in a same way, to be able to switch patches instantly and to create everything without a looking at the screen.

deva

Post by deva » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:10 pm

I have an Analog Keys now and the Rytm is still on order. The AK is excellent sounding... and saves cpu... not trying to be computer free, just freer. Elektron is the sh*t

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:09 am

Wait'll you get your hands on the APC40 Mk2.....
Well, ok, and the Akai APC Key 49 ..... :)

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:25 pm

These things get on the pricey side when you step away from a computer.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:49 am

Much more than just writing software, though Elektron stuff is admittedly still sort of in the boutique range, i.e. not low quality and you pay for it.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:20 pm

I´m using a vintage Game Boy with LSDJ.

Doesn´t get much more compact and powerful at the same time. It´s also cheap.

It´s not analogue or great sounding in the traditional sense but if you like chiptune and the sound of the Game Boy you´re golden.

And if you learn the workflow it´s crazy what you can do. :mrgreen:

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 pm

I also wanted to get rid of my computer to make music. First I went from Ableton to Maschine.... but the computer kept on sucking. Now I use Elektron Rytm & Four. Maybe a little bit too much, I mostly use Rytm... to get the workflow up and running... slowly start to add synth lines...

It is really nice! Nothing distracks me from making music. I really started to get nervous of sitting in front of a computer screen for more than 10 hours a day.

Also the sound is amazing. Much better than ever expected. Especially because of the layering with sample technology on the rytm. So easy, so simple, and so effective. Unfortunately the synth engines are a bit limited on the rytm. On the other hand, the filters, amps, distortion and reverb are very very nice. Don't really understand the delay though.

I think soon it can be connected to Ableton (overbridge by elektron). Then I can make music without... and record with a computer.
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8