is Push now considered 'feature-complete' ?

Discuss Push with other users.
siliconarc

is Push now considered 'feature-complete' ?

Post by siliconarc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:03 pm

apart from bug fixes and tweaks to the current feature set, is Push now considered 'feature-complete'?

eyeknow

Re: is Push now considered 'feature-complete' ?

Post by eyeknow » Thu May 01, 2014 7:07 am

I dunno if it works with bitwig or not.

panten

Post by panten » Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 am

Patience young Padawan

Also, depends on who you ask. Noone outside the circle knows what Ableton have planned for Push; if anything.

Ask me and I still consider these things important before they push new hardware.
  • Sample Recording/Chopping workflow. <-click
  • Arrangement Record Workflow & Tools Similar to PXT-Live.
  • Browser Sample/Instrument Preview.
  • Browse & Insert MIDI Clips from hardware.
  • Assign other parameters to the Touch Strip.
  • 64Pad DrumRack Mode
  • Monophonic Melodic Step Sequencer. <-click
  • Per Step Automation for Effects on Audio Tracks.
  • Control over more than 16 Bars (drumRack) & 8 Bars (Melodic) Step Sequencing.
  • Much better use of existing buttons:
    • in Session View, hold Duplicate & Click a pad to select a clip.. click another pad to copy to that pad.
    • in DrumRack, hold Delete & press a Loop Length Control button or a range to delete only MIDI notes within that range.
    • Accent Button, press to access a Mode (similar to pressing Scales) which brings up a page of controls for customising Accent Mode. This mode is quite in depth and requires more explanation than this but any user of PXT-Live will understand what I mean.
  • Realtime Swing mode per track, using the dedicated Swing button.
  • Integration of the fantastic Parameter Mapping changes made by TomViolenz & co <-click

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu May 01, 2014 12:15 pm

heh yea tried that out the other day. works pretty well! a ways to go yet, but looking good.
panten wrote:Also, depends on who you ask. Noone outside the circle knows what Ableton have planned for Push; if anything.
i know, silly me... i was thinking there was a sliver of a morsel of a chance we may get a response from ableton with news of great things to come for Push :x
can't help feeling that this is it, though. it's a wrap. maybe Live 10 will bring a couple of those features you've listed...

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Thu May 01, 2014 3:12 pm

"in Session View, hold Duplicate & press a pad to select a clip.. press another pad to copy to that pad."

should have been there from day one...

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri May 02, 2014 5:33 am

I will NOT buy any controller for Live unless nativeKONTROL has a script for it!!!

It's a damn shame that Ableton doesn't update their scripts with new versions of Live even after people like Stray, Hanz and I thing Julian (although I have not downloaded any of Julians stuff YET...). You would think Ableton would at least have updated the scripts for 'Ableton Branded' controllers like Apc40 and Launchpad after seeing 3 years of scripts made for them. Yet nativeKONTROL is still releasing and updating scripts for 4 year old products like Apc40 without charging anybody for updates.

PXT for Push is an amazing script and provides many of the features on that list and SO much more, So if anybody want's to know the real potential of push, you really need to look to third party script developers.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri May 02, 2014 6:41 am

I haven't really needed that. But then again, I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to needs. I have a blast with live/push though. It's expensive but it's been a nice journey so far.

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Sat May 03, 2014 1:22 am

PXT-Live is only 20 dollars. It adds most of the functionality that should have come with the controller. if you have a Push you owe it to yourself to get PXT-Live.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Has anyone made an m4l instrument that lets you 'play' the knobs by strumming them and holding pads for note values etc?? (Or play them like marimbas/percussion. One interesting idea also is that if you hold a 'note' / knob, maybe you can augment it as it is being sustained via knob twisting )

Or chess: http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/chess-for-max/

Edit: okay okay, hear me out. This is only recently becoming more sorted in my head. Imagine that the knobs are to be strummed. But can be twisted to change timbral quality per string. And the velocity would be controlled by pad pressure, as the pads would be held like a fret board. Yeah

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Sat May 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Don't forget the ability to re-purpose the touchstrip on that list...

panten

Post by panten » Sun May 04, 2014 1:32 pm

'tis already there sir :)

What isn't:
  • Back to Arrangement (All & Individual tracks)

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Sun May 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Would love to see a arpeggiator integrated in push. Where you could choose steps on/off, pitch, volume, and note length with the encoders. It would be so much more user friendly than using the old arp in live.

A chord memory function would also be nice.

nightscope

Post by nightscope » Sun May 04, 2014 3:32 pm

In PXT-Live Shift + Volume Triggers Back to Arrangement.

panten

Post by panten » Sun May 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Indeed but I am dumbfounded that Ableton didn't have the fore-sight that people would want to trigger Arrangement Record, lay down their performance, experiment further in session view and jump back and forth.

It's great that Stray provides ways to do these things but it's slightly annoying to jump to user mode trigger it then jump back. These button combinations aren't used on default Push anyway.

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Mon May 05, 2014 7:52 am

i'd love to see SOMETHING for audio clips.
push has lots of features for midi tracks,
but when when it comes to audio tracks,
there's not much going on on push...

imagine
- monome style control over clips;
- fixed length audio recordings
- endless possibilities!

whenever have an audio track is selected,
push is basically a 64 button matrix that does nothing.