Latency removed from looper recording

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
baseinstinct

Latency removed from looper recording

Post by baseinstinct » Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 pm

When a looper is appended to a string of fx and a loop gets recorded, the playback features no latency.

However, if you drag the loop to a new track, the audio is visibly and audibly postponed by several miliseconds.

Has anyone noticed that? It has been the same in previous versions, like 8, 7, too.

Orbit-50

Re: Latency removed from looper recording

Post by Orbit-50 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 pm

I decided to try it out today and I discovered this problem myself. I'm sniffing around for information.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Welp, as usual there's no information on a workaround anywhere to be found so I did my own research. I found out that before you record, you have to adjust your audio buffer size to basically nothing. Then the dragged audio loop from Looper with be right on the money! This work around kind of sucks, but at least it's possible to get tight loops out of Looper. I'm happy for that!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Find it incredible the issue has not been noticed more widely - been there from looper's day 1.

If such manipulation with latency would be necessary as a workaround, a simpler way which proves effective surprisingly often is to record in one take two or three repetitions in a row and loop one of them. Then, move the start marker to the first transient. Obviously does not work with phrases which do not start precisely on 1.1.1; then you can record a click and later remove it ;)

What is the strangest is that the recorded loop is perfectly intact with the song when still in the looper. Apparently, it uses latency compensation on the playback process and not on recording, which seems so ease to fix.

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:06 pm

baseinstinct wrote:What is the strangest is that the recorded loop is perfectly intact with the song when still in the looper.
That's the part I found very strange also. Hopefully they will fix it next week after they read this thread. :lol:

.-.