NEED ADVISE mixing/mastering of this retro electronica track

Share your tracks with other users.
kev herb

NEED ADVISE mixing/mastering of this retro electronica track

Post by kev herb » Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi all i needs 2nd opinions on the mix and master. whats good about it and whats not so good.

The tune: Is a retro electronica track called Candy Sunset.

Thank you very much for your time!

https://soundcloud.com/kev-herb/candy-sunset
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

Pere Wallace

Re: NEED ADVISE mixing/mastering of this retro electronica track

Post by Pere Wallace » Wed May 07, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm new to music creation, so my advise may not be very helpfull.

I liked it. The only thing I would have done is taking a snare a little more higher in the pitch with a little reverb.

Cheers.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Just my thoughts:

- Snare's a touch too loud, sounds great though.

- Bassline could use a little more on the low end, around 90Hz, just a dB or two. Then lower the overall volume by the same amount.

- Kick sort of feels like it's getting alost behind the bassline, maybe a dB or two up.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks a lot both of you for your feedback nice that one of you usually charge for your advise:)
Re the snare it can be turned down and I will thanks.

Re the bass bit of a tough one for me as just on rokit 5s and getting used to my focal spirit pro headphones. I mixed most of this on my iMac speakers I blush to say but I will take your advise thank you.

Re the kick. I tried bringing it up but it did fight the bass. There is at present no sc comp on the bass and I was trying not to but may just a touch of track spacer may do the job but I don't want it to notice at all then maybe the Kick can come up a notch without ill effect. Again thanks for the advise in this freq range and not surprised that two of the three advisories were down there.

Ill be revisiting this on the weekend as I have a change I want to make in the arrangement also. Ill have re adjust some mastering settings after changing the mix but to be honest the mastering is gentle on this apart from the limiting ha ha about -6db nothing retro about that!

Thanks a lot.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

Army Ant

Post by Army Ant » Sun May 11, 2014 1:22 pm

I really can't see any problem with the kick. It has enough presence for this particular track,if it was any louder it would be shitty mix. It's good this way.only thing I would mention is synth stabs that start at 2:00 .Too hard. they need to be a tamed a little. Many various ways to get that done.