Does anyone else have a problem with the FCB1010 and Looper?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JoshG567

Re: Does anyone else have a problem with the FCB1010 and Looper?

Post by JoshG567 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:29 pm

I had issues sending/receiving MIDI with the editor when I used my BCR as the interface for some reason. I switched the FCB to MIDI in/out on my soundcard and it worked fine. Your MIDI interface may be wonky too; it's worth trying another if you have one.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 pm

I've only got my Scarlett 18i6.

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed May 07, 2014 12:45 pm

It sounds like you are mapping the button to a cc message instead of a note message. Check in the midi mapping window after you map the button. It will show if you have accidentally mapped to a cc. The button will get mapped to the last midi message received and from memory i think the fcb sends a cc when the pedal is released. You might need to click on the midi mapping button, select the looper button you want to map, press the fcb foot pedal down and then deselect midi mapping before releasing the pedal. Then check that the looper button is mapped to the correct midi message by looking in the midi mapping window.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm

One of the first things I did was make sure that it wasn't sending the standard CC message. So it's not the way I have my FCB1010 set up. It's not supposed to be sending CC, yet it is.

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed May 07, 2014 8:32 pm

It doesn't matter what the fcb is sending as long as you make sure the looper button is only mapped to the message that you want.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:32 am

For some reason, when the Looper is stopped, and I try to use the multitransport button to clear it (by pressing it down and holding it), it starts, then clears. It's annoying AS HELL. Though I've worked around that by using three different pedals - one for the multitransport button, one to undo, and one to clear.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Yeah, that's default behavior for the multi button unfortunately. I too find it annoying at the prospect of reprogramming my softstep to send separate CCs for that and clear. Case closed?

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Seriously? That's the default behavior? Urgh. That's terrible.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:29 pm

With that kind of button I suppose it's that way otherwise it wouldn't start playing immediately when you pressed it once. It would be great to parameterize the latency for the long hold, the static 2 sec default is pretty damn long.

athanlive

Post by athanlive » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:47 am

Better late then ever... So I recently bought and FCB1010 to use it with the Ableton Looper. The pedal does send a CC message unfortunately between the notes but that is not really causing an issue. What it is causing an issue is the fact that you can not use CC messages (instead of notes) to control the looper. Not sure if this is an Ableton issue or an FCB1010 issue. With notes, all the 4 loopers i have work great but when i switched all my pedals to CC, although the first time it works and records everything, when I clear the loop and do a new one, it mixes it with the old one! How is that even possible??? Its not like i hit undo or anything like it, i mapped all the pedals separately (pedal, undo, stop, clear), yet this keeps happening. I wanted to use the CC for the loopers so I can use notes for a keyboard instrument but it doesnt seem to be possible. Any idea anyone why the looper is not working with CC commands and messes up like that?
Just to be clear, when sending CC to the looper, first recording starts just fine, after I clear it and start a new one, half is the new one and then mixes in the old one!
Let me know if anyone has a solution.

With the notes it works great! ...you do need a separate button for clear unless you have an expression pedal mapped on the looper output (feedback) to mute it and then clear it by holding the multi-pedal.
I use separate tracks for 4 looping channels (taking input from a group channel, guitar/keyboards/vocals). The 1st master loop has one of the expression pedals controlling the volume fader, and the other 3 loops go to a group which is controlled by the second expression pedal.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:40 pm

In case you're looking for a new convenient hardware solution to control and monitor Live's Looper, I just launched a Kickstarter campaign for a new controller.
You can check it here.
Have fun !