Cthulhu VST

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
loydb

Re: Cthulhu VST

Post by loydb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:08 pm

A little bit of thread necro, but has anyone gotten Cthulhu to work with an external synth MIDI track? I can't figure out if I just don't have the routing correct, or what. Ableton's built-in arp plays fine...
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 am

This looks like it could act as the chord rack I was suggesting in another thread, particularly with a Push.
Or use a Push to play melody and a Launchpad to play chord accompaniment....

Very interesting....

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed May 07, 2014 4:37 pm

loydb wrote:A little bit of thread necro, but has anyone gotten Cthulhu to work with an external synth MIDI track? I can't figure out if I just don't have the routing correct, or what. Ableton's built-in arp plays fine...
Yeah you'll need two midi tracks.

One hosts Cthulhu
Second hosts the external instrument device. Set it's midi from box (io) to the track containing Cthulhu and the box underneath to Cthulhu. Set Monitor to IN.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 am

Another useful tool for the tool box. I bet combined with Push this could create some very quick and inspiring tunes. Might have to give it a go.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 am

ikeaboy wrote: Yeah you'll need two midi tracks.

One hosts Cthulhu
Second hosts the external instrument device. Set it's midi from box (io) to the track containing Cthulhu and the box underneath to Cthulhu. Set Monitor to IN.
And thats the main disadvantage for this programm. (And all the other midi editing vst-programms out there)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 am

Timbeaux wrote:

One hosts Cthulhu
And thats the main disadvantage for this programm. (And all the other midi editing vst-programms out there)
Why is this such a disadvantage?

No more hassle than creating a multi output drum rack or multi output instrument rack. At least with something like this you shouold be able to input a single midi note and record the chord notes out into the actual instrument track. once done it could be removed from the project and you are left with what it generated for you instead of having to have it always in the chain like a midi effect.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 pm

I just gave this a test drive and this is what I created from a complete blank canvas in literally 10 minutes (if interested):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/190 ... 20Fire.mp3

Project consists of:

2 x Sylenth
1 x EZ Drummer
1 x Omnisphere
1 x Trilian

Just a rough sequence but could almost pass for a completed simple track. Haven't even figured out how to use this thing and already it is a very fun ride. Thumbs up for this suggestion.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Fri May 09, 2014 7:12 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Timbeaux wrote:

One hosts Cthulhu
Why is this such a disadvantage?

No more hassle than creating a multi output drum rack or multi output instrument rack. At least with something like this you shouold be able to input a single midi note and record the chord notes out into the actual instrument track. once done it could be removed from the project and you are left with what it generated for you instead of having to have it always in the chain like a midi effect.
+1, just setup and save a group to your user library. Simples. ;)

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 am

indeed i could do that. but that not how i want it to work. I want an effect on the track where i want to have the effect and not a "workaround". But this advantage/disadvantage (whatever u wanna call it) has every external midi effect in live.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon May 12, 2014 2:26 pm

It's a tough life..... :)
Timbeaux wrote:indeed i could do that. but that not how i want it to work. I want an effect on the track where i want to have the effect and not a "workaround". But this advantage/disadvantage (whatever u wanna call it) has every external midi effect in live.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm

i need a initial-note on the cc-miditrack i put onto ctuhluh-channel to start the sequence.
same is it with reaktor (traveliser f.ex) - it seems auto/in mode don`t change that.
I´ve heard from others they just start the transport - do i something wrong ?

also i need to put a new note on the line on every patternchange i initiate via automation-curve.

greets

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon May 12, 2014 11:25 pm

Tagor wrote:i need a initial-note on the cc-miditrack i put onto ctuhluh-channel to start the sequence.
same is it with reaktor (traveliser f.ex) - it seems auto/in mode don`t change that.
I´ve heard from others they just start the transport - do i something wrong ?

also i need to put a new note on the line on every patternchange i initiate via automation-curve.

greets
Sorry, Not quite understanding what you are saying there.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Mon May 12, 2014 11:47 pm

if i want
that cthulhu
trigger another vst
i need to put one initial triggernote
into the clip on the track
which hostes the cthuluh plug-in

the same is with reaktor-plugin (sequencers)
or traveliser - no sound come out from these without at least
one little note in the first clip.

fE. i start the first clip via apc scenelaunch or push and it contain a trigger note
then the second clip without trigger not via scenelaunch all is running. but pressing stop
and lauch scene 2 - no sound is coming - missing trigger-note-syndrome.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 am

cthulhu isnt a sequencer, it needs a note input to tell it which chord set to play. Thats expected behavior

The switch at the top next to the speaker is the latch, so that will hold whatever key you last hit, but theres no way to just trigger one automatically, how would it know which one you want to use? The latch is only going to run as long as the sequencer is running (or run until you hit play->stop if you started it while it wasnt running), once you stop playback its going to go back to a default state, so from that point its like starting over, it wont keep playing the last one you hit since nothing is running

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

oh! in that case i used it total different until now.
in the chord-area i programmed the scale which the arp
should play and that was preatty handy so far:
https://soundcloud.com/goabase-producer ... nic-crysys
for me it worked sofar like a programable arp :lol: