Where to get pink noise?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zstur

Where to get pink noise?

Post by zstur » Tue May 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Hey, I heard pink noise is great for mixing. Where can I get some pink noise for Ableton 9? Does it have some built in? Or would I need to download somewhere? I just get worried about downloading stuff from random sites. Even though I imagine there's few hackers out there adding virus's to pink noise files.

naujpablo

Re: Where to get pink noise?

Post by naujpablo » Tue May 13, 2014 10:51 pm

it's better if you get a synth that makes pink noise. some analog emulations have noise generators, or presets for that. z3ta+2 comes to my mind, or NI monark I think has it too. just don't use samples.

and btw, I don't know why pink noise is great for mixing. sure, it can be used subtly in order to make a mix more "full", but in that case you might want to use a nice reverb on some tracks, or even 2% or 3% reverb on the master. but as i said, you could just find some sounds on a synth to do the job, something like a pink noise, but if you do them on a synth you can adjust the note, type of sound and even sidechain it to your kick drum, in order to make it more musical.

x

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue May 13, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm pretty confident that if you are not sure where to get/generate pink/white noise that it wont add any benefit to your mix.

It can certainly be used to good effect but for it to work well the listener should not even know it is there. Not a simple case of just taking noise and mixing it with a track.

The song Equinox by Skrillex comes to mind which uses a sweeping noise on the snare hits which makes the snare sound like a crisp reverb. It is swept in leading into the snare and tails out. I quite like the effect in that track. He uses that effect quite a bit (along with many of the same synths and samples) and in some tracks you can actually hear just the noise sweep without the snare which makes it rather obvious.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue May 13, 2014 11:44 pm

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed May 14, 2014 1:38 am

Beginner users are not trolls. I have seen a number of his questions already and they are legit (or a very well disguised troll).

zstur

Post by zstur » Wed May 14, 2014 2:33 am

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if you know what I'm thinking about. This video is a perfect example of what I'd use it for. I don't want to add it to my track. I just want to use it for mixing, then delete it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0WPXf8d-W8

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 am

Interesting.

I'm no expert in this area but I am sure this would be along the lines of using dithering when going between bitrates? Might see what the more experienced mixing guys can offer about this process.

zstur

Post by zstur » Wed May 14, 2014 2:46 am

infernal.machine wrote:Image
Who's the troll now? :D

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Wed May 14, 2014 4:03 am

zstur wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if you know what I'm thinking about. This video is a perfect example of what I'd use it for. I don't want to add it to my track. I just want to use it for mixing, then delete it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0WPXf8d-W8
This is one of the more annoying things I've ever heard. :lol: I can master tracks just fine without hearing this headache, so I'll pass. If you're still at the stage where you say phrases like "Where can I get some pink noise for Ableton 9?" in total seriousness, you should probably be working on less obscure techniques.

zstur

Post by zstur » Wed May 14, 2014 4:10 am

Sorry man. I'm just playing. I don't want to be rude or ignorant to you. I am a total newbie/troll, I won't lie. I'm sorry if it's a dumb question. I'm still curious though about where I can find pink noise? I think other newbies one day might wonder the same question and want a quick answer. I think trolls should be allotted at least five dumb questions. I know I've used up two or three already. I was just wondering if there's an industry standard or something, even if it's a stupid question. I'll just look online and download something, but I was hoping for some friendly help.
Last edited by zstur on Wed May 14, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 am

I was referring to the constant pink noise in the video, not you ;)

zstur

Post by zstur » Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 am

:D

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed May 14, 2014 4:38 am

Last edited by re:dream on Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

zstur

Post by zstur » Wed May 14, 2014 4:42 am

Thankyou!

jseales

Post by jseales » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 pm

When I want to grab some pink noise, I go to Audacity. Look in the Generate menu, Noise.

Btw, it isn't a waste of time for a beginning audio engineer to use pink noise in the way OP described; it can really help train your ears.
And, I came to this forum because I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way to make pink noise in Ableton that I may have overlooked. It wasn't even remotely helpful to find posters calling it a stupid question. Why not just answer the question, or move on?