The very best method for browsing samples using Push?

Discuss Push with other users.
Daniel_S

Re: The very best method for browsing samples using Push?

Post by Daniel_S » Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 pm

I've had this on my to-do list for sometime now, but when I do eventually come round to do it, I will definitely just be creating a library of 128 samplers which I call into an drumrack on the fly.

Seems unnecessary to have a fully bloated drumrack in your project when you are most likely only accessing a fraction of it anyway.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Fri May 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Yeah, you make a good point. Would all those samples slow down a Live set?

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri May 16, 2014 2:08 pm

I've never noticed any slow down though I do have a fairly well endowed computer. If it feels better for you to not have a bunch of unused samples in your project, by all means do it differently. Beyond the computer specs and how you want to load your 128's, the point is that it's a great way to come up with drum parts very quickly, Push or otherwise.

I usually extract the drum chains eventually anyway so I can experiment easier with dropping individual sounds in and out and also for simplified mixing and grouping. I also like to freeze/bounce things to audio quite often so my project ends up getting very lean by the end anyway. It's just a habit I picked up from my early days of computer production when my single core 800MHz computer needed all the processing power it could get.

So the details are up to you and how you work. I personally like having a full-ish drum rack of 128's ready to go so I don't even have to think about loading anything, I just make drums happen :mrgreen:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Fri May 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Airyck wrote:
Analog4Science wrote:what is a 128? sorry i'm not familiar with this slang.
A 128 is a collection of 128 samples distributed evenly across each of the 128 sample selection positions of Ableton's sampler. It allows you to quick flip through a bunch of samples in context by turning a knob rather than loading samples one by one.

here's an article on them and how to make them

http://www.bketech.com/bkeblog/beat-mak ... eton-live/
Thank you!

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 am

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue May 20, 2014 3:00 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried out this hack for modifying the Push Browser for Drum Hits:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192022

:?:

Would be cool if I could use that, without it interfering with all the other hacks that I have put in place to load my own third party VSTs. Hard to believe that after spending SO much time revising the browser for Live 9, that it turned out as shit as it did.

SORT IT OUT ABLETON!

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Wed May 28, 2014 8:04 pm

re:dream wrote:My own take.

Rather than build a whole drum rack out of 128s, it makes more sense to develop a library of dedicated 128 samplers that you can load into a drum rack as needed.

So in my user library I have sections for kick sounds, snares, high hats etc. And in each of these I have a number of multisamplers loaded with 128s (thus: soft, brushed snares, techno kicks, etc etc)

Then in my template, I simply have an empty drum rack with all the effects that I want already linked.

I drop 128s on the cells to create the drum racks as I go.

The advantage of this is that my basic template to begin with is very small and that I can make my drum racks flexibly on the fly. Each rack only contains the sound palette relevant to that song.
I like the sound of this. I spent a long time building 8 cell 128 drum racks for my Goldbaby samples and while they work great, its not very flexible. Gonna give this a shot for sure!

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Just wondering if the advocates of the 128 approach have tried using a hack such as DJ Limbs hack for browsing user samples?

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192022

... Would appreciate some perspectives on the pros and cons of either approach. Is there the possibility that a hack such DJ LImbs might not work if Live is updated?

8O