Novation remote SL mk2 (not) automapping to big vst synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ciw

Novation remote SL mk2 (not) automapping to big vst synths

Post by ciw » Thu May 22, 2014 5:58 pm

So, just picked up a second hand remote SL. I was under the impression that you could predefine mappings for your favourite synths. So for example, in massive you could automap the macro controllers 1-8 to bank 1 of the 8 automap knobs, and then put some other stuff in bank 2, etc.

But Ableton seem to have other ideas :( The automap software isn't used within ableton, and as VSTs with large numbers of parameters have to be mapped using that 'configure' button + a lot of knob wobbling, there seems to be no way to predefine a preferred mapping for my favourite vst synths. I could of course make racks containing each of my vsts, but that would only allow mapping 8 parameters per device.

Is there a way around this problem? Downgrade automap? Custom controller scripts?

(ps - Also the speed dial doesn't work - should it?)

Thanks...

SLEEarts

Re: Novation remote SL mk2 (not) automapping to big vst synths

Post by SLEEarts » Thu May 22, 2014 6:59 pm

The act of automapping happens in the automap software, not in Live. It works great, and allows you to load custom parameter mappings with each VSTi. I'd recommend taking a look at the automap manual, as it gives good specific instructions on how to do this. Alternatively, you could save a custom macro mapping to keep everything within Live.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:48 pm

There are two manners in which the mk2 works to automatically control things.

1. As a 'Control Surface', which is set up in Live and uses one of the default templates in the controller. To use this mode you make sure that the automap button on the controller is turned off/unlit. There are steps somewhere on YouTube, but I think since Live 9 it automatically sets itself up.

There are a couple advanced tricks with this.

-a. You can save racked vsts and instead of mapping things to the macros, just save the rack where there is an expanded version of the vst with all the controls showing. After that you'd still have to map the control bar of that specific vst. There is also an options.txt which lets you autopolulate vsts but it is messy, or leave Configure on while you change the vst's presets a few times, most parameters will pop up. Then you need to reorganize them if you can figure that out.

-b. There are some customized control surface remote scripts that give the mk2 functionality that it didn't originally have out of the box. One is in development by a dedicated user who likes the challenge of making the display function close to that of Push (including browsing devices and loading them via the controller)

2. There is Automap. Automap is Novation's software. It has a few modes. Instrument, FX, DAW, User. Live itself works best with User (because it is So open in some ways, it is closed when it comes to pre-defined DAW support, so the DAW mode does nothing for Live). But, vsts are meant to be 'wrapped' by the Automap software and used as Instrument or FX. I'd suggest st least giving it a shot. To use Automap, you turn on the Automap button ok your controller. (Another handy feature of Automap in User mode is that you can assign qwerty keys)

As of a few versions ago Automap no longer supports the dial for automatic control.

Also, sometimes people use a Control Surface script that is written to function theough Automap.

drez

Post by drez » Fri May 23, 2014 5:35 am

Yur2die4, that was very kind of you to answer the questions with such detail. Bravo!
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri May 23, 2014 10:23 am

Hi, thanks for replies all

Those of you who say automap can happen outside of Live, what version are you using? I thought as of v4 all automap happened inside live?

When I press the 'automap' button it tells me no automap clients are connected even though Live and the automap server are running, is there a way to fix this?

I will definitely look up that options.txt :)

ciw

Post by ciw » Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 am

So I found the Options.txt command

-_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=-1

Which solves some prolems and creates others, still, I'll stick with it for now - great - cheers!

Still can't get the automap software to recognise Ableton, though, press automap on the remote and it says no client is connected (though controls ableton fine through the ableton host template otherwise).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:18 pm

You have Automap installed? Do you open Automap before you open anything else? I've found that for best results it helps to actually open the Automap software first and make sure it is recognizing the controller. And then open anything else.

ciw

Post by ciw » Sat May 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Yeah, Automap is installed, open and recognises the controller. What version of automap are you using? I have a feeling they may have changed how it works

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Okay. When you use Automap, on your controller the Automap button is lit. Also, four buttons on your controller should be available that say User, FX, Instrument, etc.

The one ideal for Live is 'User', because Live does not have any predefined layout for Automap. But when using various vsts that are wrapped in Automap, then you use te Instrument or FX 'pages'.

The Mixer button does not work with Live at all.