Maschine Expansions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TheNobleNemesis

Maschine Expansions

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Wed May 28, 2014 2:07 pm

When I bought my Maschine, it came with three expansions - "Drop Squad", "True School", and "Transistor Punch". I have enjoyed these expansions but I was hoping something more -
have you guys ever bought any expansions yourselves? What did you think of them?

tkarmakid

Re: Maschine Expansions

Post by tkarmakid » Wed May 28, 2014 7:17 pm

KevWestBeats does some pretty good reviews of these on Youtube, you should check them out.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Helios Ray is great if you like Dilla,Flying Lotus type sounds.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I have the Halcyon Sky & Marble Rims. Both are awesome. Not so much into the trance/harder techno sounds. I like to limit all my sounds in general as well, too many options for me is not good. I love the way the expansion packs are integrated into Maschine.

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:04 am

Expansions for Maschine (and other NI software) often are just new presets. Very useful if you're looking for idea generators...

...or even outright "appropriation". NI's EULA allows the use of their presets or sounds in your musical content, even if it's for commercial use. There's not even a blurb that says you have to make a significant change to the sounds.

Ableton does have such a clause in the Live EULA, which I think can be an unnecessary impediment to the creation process. I mean really...what changes are you going to make to the kick, snare, high hat, or toms in an Ableton factory preset if all you need is an average drum kit?
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:20 pm

I never payed attention to that, but I find it ludicrous that you buy a 500€ software and then still have to jump through hoops to use the provided material in your commercial work.
How can they get away with that?! :x

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:34 pm

They get away with it because the products sell well. Even I bought Push and Live, and I studied the EULA beforehand.

Native Instruments' language only says what you CAN'T do, whereas I find Ableton's language just specific enough to leave me in doubt about some things.

If you're going to use Ableton's presets, you have to make "material" or "significant" changes to it. To me, that probably means using my own presets and maybe even my own sound samples (or samples from other software) in some cases.

It always pays to read the licensing BEFORE you buy, so that you'll know what your restrictions are.
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.