"All MIDI channels" in from i/o selection not working

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
jayemell

"All MIDI channels" in from i/o selection not working

Post by jayemell » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi there,

I have a MIDI controller that I want to use with M4L. It sends data on multiple channels.
I would like to route those channels individually in my patch, and do whatever with them separately.

I am finding that I am unable to see any data in on channel 7 (for ex) when I enable the "All Channels" input on my MIDI i/o settings for the track that my M4L instance lives on.

If I choose 1 or 7 separately (in the "channel selection menu"), I get data flowing through my patch on each, respectively. Unfortunately, I do _not_ see the channel number changing correctly (midiparse), but it seems like if I ignore the channel altogether and choose the correct channels via Live's "channel selection menu" below "MIDI from", it works. I am using midiparse/midiselect to attempt the filtration of the data.

Can anyone tell me if this is supported in M4L? If not, why? A MIDI stream can easily contain multiple channels, and the menu in Live allows for "All Channels" to be selected.

What gives? 8O

Thx,
jml

dataf1ow

Re: "All MIDI channels" in from i/o selection not working

Post by dataf1ow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:05 pm

I was able to see midi on all channels in my device, but it is all converted to one channel as soon as it enters a device.
I am sure that this has something to do with Live's midi handling. i.e. you cant send midi out of a track on different channels.
It's a bummer for sure, but there are workarounds.

jayemell

Post by jayemell » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 am

To be perfectly honest, I'm tired of workarounds w/ M4L. I have enough workarounds in Max alone.
For this particular problem, my solution is to have more tracks that allow me to select specific channels that are valid. Pretty ridiculous.

Thanks for your response,
jml

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:37 am

Live sets a limit of 1 channel per track for a weird reason and honestly i don't understand, since you can select "all channels". I remember some max externals (ln_midi or something like that) that might be allowing that.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1