Synthesizer Recommendation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Threads

Synthesizer Recommendation

Post by Threads » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 am

Hi, first off I would just like to say I'm completely new to music production. I purchased Live 9 intro a few days ago and have started to get to grips with the basics. My aim is to try and create Dnb and maybe venture into dub step or something in the near future.

So basically my question is, should I buy operator or stick with the instruments that Intro offers? Or is there other software I should consider? Any and all advice would be great and thank you in advance.

Fossiel

Re: Synthesizer Recommendation

Post by Fossiel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:14 am

In my opinion Operator is not easy to program. So if you don't want loose your musical motivation, look for an easy to program (and free) synth.

Check out Synth1 and Triangle II (for basslines) for example:
http://www.musictech.net/2013/10/freewa ... -the-best/

The interface may look extremely cheap, but for starters you only want 2 things: easy programmable, and great sound.

9white5

Post by 9white5 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 am

If you're new to synthesis i'd suggest a standard subtractive synth; theyre the best way to get used to synthesis basics and are the easiest to get good accessible sounds out of (basses, leads, pads etc)

I'd recommend Sylenth1 (obviously), Spire, Twin 2, Predator or Saurus. All pretty easy Synths to get your head around, all very capable of making very professional sounds, especially for dance music. (Theyre all used by countless professional dance producers.)

My advice would be to buy one of them and learn it inside out; then use the knowledge you've picked up from the one you have to learn others.

Threads

Post by Threads » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:55 pm

All sounds like good advice, ill be sure to check out all your recommendations and decide what i like the look and feel of. Obviously I need to be going with something easy to use to start with. Ill let you know what I decide to get. Thanks for the replies

login

Post by login » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:17 pm

My recommendations for beginner synths:

1.- Fabfilter twin, its simple but the graphical user interface makes it clear to understand what is happening very easy and you can "deconstruct" presets easily. This would be my choice for educational purposes.

2.- U-he Tyrell.- Free, simple, and good sound. Probably one of the best freebies around.

3.- If what you are looking is for a really good sound and more flavours, but keeping it mores simple: U-he Diva. it's basic substractive with few modulations options to keep interesting but a superb sound that will make you synthesis learning very pleassing.

4.- FAW circle, Similar to twin in interface, very clear to knwo what is going on, with a widder sound palette thanks to digital waveforms, kind of cheap. Proble it is a bit CPU intensive for it's sound.

Other option if you want to learn also is Synthorial, it is a software designed to elarn synthesys with lessons and challenges and includes a synth you can use as VST.

I would not recommend complex synths (Zebra,massive, alchemy, anything modular) and those synths with overcrowded GUI's such as those by image line, sugarbytes, DCAM, d16.

Threads

Post by Threads » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Synthorial sounds ideal for my situation. I'll definitely give that a go.

I'm going to try out some of the free ones before I decide which to spend money on as id like to understand what I'd be spending my money on, if that makes sense.

I really had no clue there was such a wide variety of free software out there as well.

Thanks for the recommendations though, they'll all certainly be considered once I cen get to grips with some of the free software.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Another option is to pick up a copy of Computer Music magazine. Make sure it has the DVD attached. Every issue comes with a healthy dose of plugins.

Threads

Post by Threads » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:41 pm

UncleAge wrote:Another option is to pick up a copy of Computer Music magazine. Make sure it has the DVD attached. Every issue comes with a healthy dose of plugins.
Oddly enough I bought it yesterday :D