Collecting stuff

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Collecting stuff

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Anybody collect anything that doesn't really serve any purpose other then you like collecting it? So I'm not talking vinyl that you are DJing or music plugins because you have no impulse control. I'm talking art, stamps, toys (literal), etc.

slatepipe

Re: Collecting stuff

Post by slatepipe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:46 pm

i'm rather partial to coloured vinyl and/or double/triple albums in big gatefold sleeves. i don't dj them. i got about 8 merzbow albums in colour vinyl i guess. and knackered old 7" singles from car boot sales, the odder the better. i don't dj them either.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:02 pm

I can see vinyl as a collector’s thing. I’m mostly saying things that don’t really have a second purpose and claiming to be a collector just because you have a lot of it. Digital music libraries aren’t collectables.

Back in the early 00’s I was a big Todd McFarlane figure collector (Spawn, Movie Maniacs, etc.) They are no longer on display and now are in a couple large boxes at my parents’. I bust the boxes open every so often to look at them and they are still badass. I just don’t have the space or decor to accommodate them at my place.

Right about now I’m thinking it would be great to have a hobby where just the acquisition and ownership is the entire purpose, unlike music which is a lot of work. :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm the opposite, everything that could weigh me down must go. My last move from city to city was by train with a few boxes in the luggage department. That's how I like it. Worldly possessions are not real.
I make an exception for books that mean a lot to me, but even there I regretted it a little when I had to carry those boxes to and from the train station.

The only thing I seem to be collecting now is Midi controllers, ha! But I use most of those.

Oh, and broken dreams :x
They weigh me down a lot too, but I haven't figured out yet how to dispose of them...
Last edited by TomViolenz on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njh

Post by njh » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:19 pm

I always wanted to collect things like comic books and toys but would always spend my money on music stuff instead. I had the idea of collecting spawn figures at one time so, I bought the rob zombie spawn and that was it.
What I would really like to collect is all the original ninja turtle toys from the 80s- early 90s. I wanted all of them as a kid and never got them so the desire is still there.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:24 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I'm the opposite, everything that could weigh me down must go. My last move from city to city was by train with a few boxes in the luggage department. That's how I like it. Worldly possessions are not real.
I make an exception for books that mean a lot to me, but even there I regretted it a little when I had to carry those boxes to and from the train station.

The only thing I seem to be collecting now is Midi controllers, ha! But I use most of those.

Oh, and broken dreams :x
They weigh me down a lot too, but I haven't figured out yet how to dispose of them...

I love worldly possessions. In most cases they never let me down, unlike people. :x

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:11 pm

Things with no other use that I collect would be rabbit bones, wishbones of various birds, and crab claw pincers. Bits of animals from my past that I have eaten. I got a load in a display cabinet on the wall

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:34 pm

8O

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:51 pm

I had a bugger collection as a child. I kept it neatly on the side of my bed frame facing the wall...

Then one day my mom discovered it.... 8O

Let's say my life as a collector ended rather abruptly :mrgreen:

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 pm

at the moment I seem to be collecting musical gear/hardware. I am "collecting" it, because after a massive 2 year buying spree, convincing my self that it will all serve an inspirational and creative purpose, I seem to be in the midst of a musical crash/burn-out with little motivation at the moment.
I do have some pressing adult/career issues at the forefront, so maybe my dis-interest is developmentally appropriate for my current life issues at the moment.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:30 pm

aisling wrote:at the moment I seem to be collecting musical gear/hardware. I am "collecting" it, because after a massive 2 year buying spree, convincing my self that it will all serve an inspirational and creative purpose, I seem to be in the midst of a musical crash/burn-out with little motivation at the moment.
I do have some pressing adult/career issues at the forefront, so maybe my dis-interest is developmentally appropriate for my current life issues at the moment.

That’s exactly what I’m NOT talking about. :x :P

I too have an irresponsible amount of controllers realized when I did some recent spring cleaning. I too tried to convince myself I am a collector instead of an unmotivated music producer with a priority problem. :wink:

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I had a bugger collection as a child. I kept it neatly on the side of my bed frame facing the wall...

Then one day my mom discovered it.... 8O

Let's say my life as a collector ended rather abruptly :mrgreen:
a-ha, ok...

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:40 am

beats me wrote:
aisling wrote:at the moment I seem to be collecting musical gear/hardware. I am "collecting" it, because after a massive 2 year buying spree, convincing my self that it will all serve an inspirational and creative purpose, I seem to be in the midst of a musical crash/burn-out with little motivation at the moment.

That’s exactly what I’m NOT talking about. :x :P

I too have an irresponsible amount of controllers realized when I did some recent spring cleaning. I too tried to convince myself I am a collector instead of an unmotivated music producer with a priority problem. :wink:
:oops: :) my bad. I collect statues of elephants. I love elephants. They have a wise, but don't fuck with me demeanor, that I find inspiring.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 am

i've been ramping up my ex-girlfriend collection.