Choosing a stage name

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PLfan

Choosing a stage name

Post by PLfan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:54 pm

My peapals,

I realize that this is sort of a cliche, stupid question, but I'm about to release some remixes that are far better than anything I've ever made, and i need some help. I can't release them under my real name, as it would sound really stupid, so I need to chose a stage name. This is kind of a big life decision for me, and I'm not good at those.

Does anyone have any good tips for choosing a stage name?

I realize this doesn't belong in the production forum, but I didn't know where else to post. Sorry.
"Every sound can be found"

Tarekith

Re: Choosing a stage name

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:16 pm

I just saw this the other day, it's not serious but I thought you might get a laugh out of it in the meantime:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-DJ-Name-That-Isn't-Taken

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Being an artist, means you want to present a whole package that represents you.

Assuming you managed to do this with your re-mixes, you should aim for that with your name too.
Choosing your stage name should be seen as finally getting the name you like. (Not that meaningless collection of letters that your parents found adequate for some reason).

It can be totaly made up, or something that somehow sounds nice, something that you think gets all the ladies interested, or is a character from your favorite book, or personifies all the evil in this world :twisted:

You can be sure it will sound really stupid to some, and totally awesome to others. What's important is that you somehow identify with it!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:54 pm

The more unique your name is, the easier your life becomes in many ways in terms of your online presence. I used to go by the name "rEalm" for years when I first started making music. While I loved the name, it was a pain in the ass when it came to things like web domain names, email address, search results, you name it. Too many people using either the same thing or some variation on it.

In the end I made up my own name to ensure it would be something totally unique to me and me alone. People looking to contact me have no trouble, it's as simple as it can be with tarekith.com, tarekith at some email domain, google Tarekith and you only get info about me (usually), etc.

I don't say that in a conceited way, but as a "brand" if you will, it's what you want, to make things as easy as possible for the fans/clients.

To this day the best artist name I ever heard was DJ Bagofdonuts.

No joke.

djesa

Post by djesa » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm

haha, yeah i had the name "esa" before (i still do on these forums lol), but the problem was that the European Space Agency also had that (so i used "dj esa" just to differentiate).

however now i use my real name "Simon Moldskred" when releasing my music, but that ain't so catchy, so i also use "Mister Mishka" as a sort of stage name. i like having both, one to show my serious side and the other to show my playful side.. :P

TomViolenz said it pretty well, that what is most important is that you somehow identify with it. a name is something personal, so really it all depends on what you what to convey :)

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:34 pm

While a name is only something that is used to identify you and is really not as important as it seems. I know artist that just picked names and became big enough that they couldn't change it anymore.

Whats wrong with your own name? I just go by my own name...

Airyck
and sometimes I use my last name too.

Airyck Sterrett

I've had friends tell me they wish they would have just used their own name from the beginning so they wouldn't be stuck with some moniker.
If it's music from your heart what better way to describe than as yourself?

If you think your name is dumb, that might make it all the better. Could stand out.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:30 pm

My friend and I have a band called Dusty Plankton. :D
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Look
pick whatever you want. unique is good.

couple suggestions though -
pick something unique so it is searchable.
ie dont pick something like "pentagon" for a name...as people will search it and i guarantee your music will not come up first.

don't use any current trends, unless you don't mind your music having a date on it.
for instance don't use:
the letter "K" instead of "C" or "Z" instead of "S"... whenever i hear that i think of the 90's

"V" instead of "A" or any of the lettering people goin for in the "Trap" scene- as once they move on to a new trend, you're basically done.

ghetto lettering - 'PNTGN' instead of 'pentagon' makes me think of 2001.

other than that who really cares. look around, most peoples names suck anyway.

Mike

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:09 pm

PLfan wrote:I realize this doesn't belong in the production forum
why not? seems like for you, this is the last stage of production for those tracks. i bet there's 20,000 or so Live users who wish that was all they had left to do.

what ever you ultimately decided... please, pretty please don't use "The" before it.
Thanks.

3rdCheddz

Post by 3rdCheddz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Michael Hatsis wrote:
other than that who really cares. look around, most peoples names suck anyway.

I agree with this. Most names are cheesy. Paradon the pun. What do your friends call you. Mine call me cheddz or cheddah (because my last name is cheesley) so was easy of me if your mate call you by your real name the jus do somting with your real name.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 am

3rdCheddz wrote: Most names are cheesy.
Huh...?! :?

because my last name is cheesley
Ahhhhh!

Well you have to say that, huh?! ;-)

3rdCheddz

Post by 3rdCheddz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:00 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
3rdCheddz wrote: Most names are cheesy.
Huh...?! :?

because my last name is cheesley
Ahhhhh!

Well you have to say that, huh?! ;-)

Ahaha n most stage names are cheap ngl like where did that name come from noone knows you as that

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:34 am

If you want a chance to appeal to more than a thin slice of music fans out there, choose a name that people of all ages can use at the kitchen table without fear or embarrassment.

This is not me being prudish, mind you. It's practical business advice.

Sure, you might want to use a "bad word" in your name today, but when you do, you make things a little bit harder on yourself and your bandmates (if you're in a band). Your stage name can't be pronounced on over the air radio/television due to some country restrictions (FCC if you're in the US), could raise unwanted police or government attention in strict countries (Middle East, Russia, China), or simply might not be welcome at free county fair or downtown gigs where you could otherwise gain fans and media recognition. Your adverts might not be accepted in schools or on the Guitar Center bulletin board.

Good luck!
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

perez.5

Post by perez.5 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 am

I am looking for the list of celebrities with stage names to rank them according to reputation and popularity. But I agree It is really tough to categorize the full list of those celebrities.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:48 am

H20nly wrote:what ever you ultimately decided... please, pretty please don't use "The" before it.
Thanks.

Yes, whatever you do, please don't use "the"...it has actually become physically draining and mentally tiring just seeing a band/group with that as part of their moniker.