catanya-like pattern based polyphonic arpeggiator

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Thomasch

Re: catanya-like pattern based polyphonic arpeggiator

Post by Thomasch » Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 pm

greaterthanzero wrote:Note, however, that controlling more than two states is a click-and-drag gesture instead of a simple click. It's less intuitive, and usually best avoided. (The way you described it could work w/ a grid controller, but mouse controls are sort of rigidly defined)
deselect the "dialmode" checkbox in inspector of matrixctrl,it should make it "click-without-drag"able. :)

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu May 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Thomasch,

good to see you here. First, to implement the preset storing was really easy for a noob like me. I think greaterthanzero has some other priorities for this at the moment. If you like, i will give you the patch, where the preset storing is integrated. But it´s greaterthanzeros patch, he should decide, what´s coming up next.
Thomasch wrote:
greaterthanzero wrote:Note, however, that controlling more than two states is a click-and-drag gesture instead of a simple click. It's less intuitive, and usually best avoided. (The way you described it could work w/ a grid controller, but mouse controls are sort of rigidly defined)
deselect the "dialmode" checkbox in inspector of matrixctrl,it should make it "click-without-drag"able. :)
For me, the drawing function is the greatest thing on this user interface, it´s too cool so better don´t disable it.
my 50 cent. Quickest way to make great patterns on the fly.

the note length thing is maybe a task for later. But: I was working on sequencer in PD for a while, before I switched to Max for Live thanks tom cosm and greaterthanzero, I tried to implement this Phrase Arp in my PD-Sequencer and it worked well. In my Sequencer, the note length can be set, but in small intervals, does it really make sense, to play notes in small intervals one after another? on my sequencer and by retrying this on the piano, it was really boring, in most cases, you have especially on Chord Patterns small Pauses between the notes. I don´t know, maybe I´m wrong... I really love the super easy and intuitive interface. less is more in some cases...

Cheers!

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Fri May 31, 2013 4:23 am

Actually, Thomasch is absolutely correct about the dial mode. It will still be drawable, and much less strange than what I was describing.

Essentially, there are three states. 0, 1 and 2.

* Click and drag away from a 0 square, and you're drawing in 1.

* Click and drag away from a 1 square, and you're drawing in 2.

* Click and drag away from a 2 square, and you're drawing in 0.

So, 0 is obviously "not playing".

1 and 2 would be "playing" and "playing, with a note end on this beat". I think in that order. So when you drag from a silence, you're creating a long note rather than a string of short notes. Then you can click (and not drag) to break long notes apart. And double-click a broken-apart square to repair it. Or if you're so inclined, double-click-and-drag from a silent square to draw a line of short notes.

That makes total sense.

Understand, we're only talking about inserting note ends at the break between squares. Trying to control how staccato a short note is would require deeper structural change.

...but I think this can be done.

Feel free to trade the preset-enabled version among yourselves while you wait for this. I don't think that we've found the right solution yet, but it's a decent stop-gap, and far better than nothing.

(we need to dissect the Convolution Reverb Pro device, as I think their IR browser is the closest example to what everyone wants...)

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Fri May 31, 2013 8:43 am

Very cool Thomasch and greaterthanzero...

I will check out the Preset Management in Convolution reverb and if I can implement it easy, than I will send you the patch Thomasch ...

good stuff!
best bootykowski

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi again,

now it´s the time, to continue messing around with stepArp. Tried the dial mode enabled. just for looking, how it works. when i use the trackpad, it reacts really slow. with the drawing option, It´s so much faster and more fluid and it´s a lot more fun, than clicking and dragging away per field...

my 50 cent

is there another solution?
cheers!

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 am

Not sure.

Bigger question:
How should the Mira version work, given that it doesn't yet support matrixctrl at all?

http://cycling74.com/products/mira/

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:10 am

This is amazing! Love it. thanks.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent