Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jbw

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by jbw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:46 am

chapelier fou wrote:So...
Just bought a new macbookproblahblahblah. I'll add a +1 to this thread.

but, i once read a 'solution' to this, which was to run live's GUI in non retina mode. How do i do this, please ?
You can change the resolution settings in the Mac OS display settings, but they are less than ideal solutions because while you can get rid of some of the pixelation the text also becomes smaller.

Options are:

1. 1024x640 - Larger Text, not a good resolution for Live, and doesn't remove pixelation.
2. 2560x1600 - Retina, default settings.
3. 1440x900 - Will remove some of the pixelation, but also shrink the text. Zooming in Live only brings back blurriness.
4. 1680x1050 - More Space, same as #3, but shrinks text even more.

None of these are helpful on my 13" model, and until Ableton does something about the resolution of their interface there is no real solution. :cry:

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:08 am

This is absolute shame.
Your advice concerns all apps on my mac, right ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

jbw

Post by jbw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:42 am

chapelier fou wrote:This is absolute shame.
Your advice concerns all apps on my mac, right ?
Yes those are system wide settings, so they effect everything.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:02 am

:(
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

mikb

Post by mikb » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:26 am

pencilrocket wrote:It's not issue.
Thanks for playing, but you don't get to decide what's an issue or not. You can decide what's an issue for you, but that's the end of it.

All other Ableton users are free to think for themselves, without any regard to what you think about their issues.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

mikb

Post by mikb » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:18 am

chapelier fou wrote::? i right-clicked on the live app icon, and the 'open in low resolution' is checked out and greyed out.
don't tell me there's nothing to do about it ...
There's no 'open in low resolution' in OS X 10.9 anyway.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

mikb

Post by mikb » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:26 am

+1.

I want Retina display support. Even though I don't own a Retina display yet, I want to get a new Macbook Pro. Since december there are not just MacBooks but also Mac Pros with 4k displays, a concept that I'm sure will become more and more popular in circles that can afford it, so unless Ableton wants to lose support from Mac-using customers in the long run, they better be addressing this soon. Their timetable of course.

What other Mac software supports OS X 10.9, but not the current hardware? If you don't support current hardware (and the generation before that as Retina is now old) you don't support that platform. If you do say you support Macs — and last I checked Ableton claims this — you will also support different resolutions to naturally expected standards.

It's 2014, not 2004. Even Web sites support Retina-resolution in content. All Mac software developers are reasonably to be expected to support higher resolutions on targeted OS X versions.
Last edited by mikb on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

jbw

Post by jbw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:51 pm

My guess is they are working on a new interface, not simply an upgrade to high resolution, but perhaps something that included things like user customization as well for things like color, section resizing, and other stuff I can't think of at the moment. :?

The upgrade to higher resolution just gives them an opportunity and excuse to come up with a crisp and clean, highly functional interface; a brand new paint job so to speak.

I don't know, just take a look at their main page on Ableton.com on a high resolution screen, and it looks pretty darn good if you ask me. Now apply all that to Live and I think you can get an idea of how everything might look.

Bottom line is I have to think something is in the pipeline, even if it doesn't include any extra customization bells and whistles.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 pm

jbw wrote:My guess is they are working on a new interface, not simply an upgrade to high resolution, but perhaps something that included things like user customization as well for things like color, section resizing, and other stuff I can't think of at the moment. :?
Oh yeah, and possibly finding a way to squeeze Session and Arrangement views onto the same screen.

lvivski

Post by lvivski » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 pm

It doesn't look like they are working on something BIG. They could have shared current progress, or roadmap at least.

I agree that retina support will not make my mixes better, or my kick punchier, but I have to look at Live window for 6-8 hours and my eyes hurt, the text is awful, buttons are blurry. I don't need yet another "looks like a real thing" UI, but I'd like it to look nice and crisp, and right now it looks like if I had some vision problems.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:38 am

jbw wrote:
jbw wrote:My guess is they are working on a new interface, not simply an upgrade to high resolution, but perhaps something that included things like user customization as well for things like color, section resizing, and other stuff I can't think of at the moment. :?
Oh yeah, and possibly finding a way to squeeze Session and Arrangement views onto the same screen.
Maybe a bigger default piano roll as well. :mrgreen:

At this point though, crisp text alone would be an oasis.

jbw

Post by jbw » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:36 am

Come ooooonnnnnnnn 9.1.4...

You can do it, you need to do it... You want to do it.

lvivski

Post by lvivski » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 am

They are either busy with a BIG update, or they've abandoned Live :(

Live 9 was released more than a year ago, the only "major" feature added after the release is "dual monitor support" which is still worse than Logic Pro window management. All other "features" are mainly controllers support.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but it looks like we won't se anything as BIG as Retina support in the near future, and it looks like Live is not Ableton's priority project anymore.

It would be nice to see some official replies in this thread, but I doubt we'll see them.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:10 pm

lvivski wrote:They are either busy with a BIG update, or they've abandoned Live :(

Live 9 was released more than a year ago, the only "major" feature added after the release is "dual monitor support" which is still worse than Logic Pro window management. All other "features" are mainly controllers support.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but it looks like we won't se anything as BIG as Retina support in the near future, and it looks like Live is not Ableton's priority project anymore.

It would be nice to see some official replies in this thread, but I doubt we'll see them.

I'm thinking Live has to be Ableton's biggest project. They don't really have anything else. Everything else they have is dependent on Live. They are just being quiet.

It is frustrating when DAW companies stay quiet but just about every company does it at some point. I guess it has a lot to do with not telling people too much info because of alerting the competition and also they could be working on it but having issues with the implementation and at a certain point they have to decide which version they are going to put it in. I can imagine it is harder than most people expect on what features get to go in version 10 or not.

As big as this issue has become, I'm sure they are aware of it and taking steps to fix it. Fixing it is probably just harder than it sounds and like what others said they might be working on redesigning the interface on a whole.

That said Retina style displays are making it on some newer PC systems as well, so I think this is more than just a Mac issue.

shere.kaan

Post by shere.kaan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:50 am

+1

Please, Retina support without adjusting the Mac's resolution settings would be much appreciated.