Good TV Sci Fi Shows?!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TomViolenz

Good TV Sci Fi Shows?!

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm

All this binge watching of TV shows, led to the sad situation that I think I have already watched all the good SciFi shows, but I'm desperatly craving more :(
So I'm open to suggestions!

Just to give an idea of what I like, here a list of what I watched and liked or disliked:

Battlestar Galactica:
The absolute best (season 3 and the end had its weaknesses though).
That's what I want: believable future developments that are brought to logical conclusions. A different society, but again brought to logical conclusions.
Awesome actors.

Caprica:
Yes it was weaker than Battlestar, but I really enjoyed how they showed the invention of the Cylons and their AI as a emergent property of the Avatars in the virtual realities, they wallowed in so intensely. Absolutely plausible IMO

Doctor Who (2005)
It's adictive :-)
Funny, crazy, emotional, lovable!
Has nothing to do with science, but that doesn't matter here!

Farscape
Good, but far from perfect.
I love the whole whormhole and Scorpio storyline and most of the characters. (That whiny Stark guy and the plant lady are grating though, and the insufferable all American hero....., oh well :roll: )
But it's a fun story with lots of twists and I was sad when it was over.

Stargate Universe
We are getting sucessively worse.
The back drop of the story is great: lost in space, on an empty very advandced alien spaceship, that you don't understand. Cool! But they should not have diluted that with the stones that let them phone home.
(the fact that all the home story lines sucked, didn't help either)
But the characters are just so "American TV action series" 2 dimensional, it gets hard to take at times.
the worst part: the series end was botched! :x
I really wanted to find out what the whole Big Bang means, damn'it (even if the solution would have been fictional:-))

Some I also liked:
Red Dwarf:
Liked the back story and some of the chemistry between the characters, but the constant bickering stopped being funny pretty soon.

Enterprise:
Finally a Star Trek, where something interesting happens and not just a soap opera in space. Also good that their tech was not magic yet, like in the other series'.
But: still too much soap opera and not enough actual exploring of space.

Firefly:
Cool characters and a good movie
But Wild West in space, p l e a s e..... :roll:

Possibly forgot some:

What I hated:
Babylon 5
Stupid looking characters play invented politics on a stationary space station. Who needs that :x

Deep Space 9
Same as above, but not quite as grating. still didn't make it past season 2.

The other Star Gates
Monster of the week action TV
I really don't care

Star Trek (STNG, Voyager)
Soap operas in space
Boring

OK, anyone have any suggestions of shows I may have missed and might enjoy?!
Last edited by TomViolenz on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timbeaux

Re: Good TV Sci Fi Shows?!

Post by Timbeaux » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Okay Tom you are from Berlin, so you should be able to watch german series:

Adolars phantastische Abenteuer - I watched that when i was younger (only 13 episodes) but I still love it (very mindbending, especially the first episodes).

Earth 2 was really really nice (when u find a legal link to this please send me a pm :) ).

Red Dwarf

Amazing storys by steven spielberg

Quantum Leap (also with scott bacula)

Enjoy :)

edit: i forgot : outer limits
Last edited by Timbeaux on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Continuum. Hopefully it will get a fourth season.

I have heard good things about Falling Skies but haven't watched any episodes yet.
Defiance is pretty good, sort of has a Deadwood meets Alien Nation vibe to it.

From your list i would have to say Farscape is my all time favorite, the next being BSG.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Falling skies is so so, just barely good enough that I keep watching. They've sort of settled into a routine where every season is more or less the same.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Cool tips, I'll check them all out. I had never heard of "Adolars phantastische Abenteuer" before, is that something old school?!

And sorry, I'm not big on knowledge about legal links for German stuff. The regular TV Mediatheken are only for short time periods and not libraries of everything they have shown (even though they should, as we already pay them from our Fernsehgebühren :x )

So I usually fall back to the not so legal solutions for the stuff I already paid them for ;-)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Timbeaux wrote:And maybe this helps you :P

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von_ ... ion-Serien
Wow 8O

That should keep me busy for a while :mrgreen:

Still, I'm interested to hear all your opinions on stuff you liked and disliked (and why) to get a good feeling for the shows.
If it's not for the main big secret of the show, I don't really mind spoilers too much either, because SciFi ist mostly cool for the atmoshpere and the world building.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:Falling skies is so so, just barely good enough that I keep watching. They've sort of settled into a routine where every season is more or less the same.
Ok this might just be good enough to be my next binge :mrgreen:

I hope it's not too much the "manly man fighting" and the "the good guys will prevail" angle that gets focused on. But I like the premise.

If it gets too samey samey (I hate too much cliché stories), I'll just drop out early.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 pm

Who remembers...

... the Strangerers?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:01 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Falling skies is so so, just barely good enough that I keep watching. They've sort of settled into a routine where every season is more or less the same.

I hope it's not too much the "manly man fighting" and the "the good guys will prevail" angle that gets focused on. But I like the premise.

If it gets too samey samey (I hate too much cliché stories), I'll just drop out early.
It's more like Walking Dead without the good plot and acting. Lots of dirty people struggling with the end of the world and they cant ever catch a break. They fight the aliens until the aliens find their base, then they run like hell. One of Tom Mason's sons will go missing in the process, and they'll meet some new aliens who offer to help them but never do.

Repeat each season. :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:45 pm

That canadian one, Continuum.

Starts off semi shit, while the protagonist is still trying to get back to the future for her fucking son, but slowly finds its feet and even has a turnaround mid-season moment where the disgruntled audience member (me) appears as a deus ex machina and tells the protagonist "stop whimpering about your damn family and get with the sci fi". Future son is never mentioned again!

From then on it's a better series full of convoluted multidimensional timetravel plot lines.

Graphed satisfaction

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt1954347

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Tarekith wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

It's more like Walking Dead without the good plot and acting. Lots of dirty people struggling with the end of the world and they cant ever catch a break. They fight the aliens until the aliens find their base, then they run like hell. One of Tom Mason's sons will go missing in the process, and they'll meet some new aliens who offer to help them but never do.

Repeat each season. :)
Oh, I see, probably fun if it were a computer game, but for passive entertainment I expect a little more.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:18 pm

Angstrom wrote:That canadian one, Continuum.

Starts off semi shit, while the protagonist is still trying to get back to the future for her fucking son, but slowly finds its feet and even has a turnaround mid-season moment where the disgruntled audience member (me) appears as a deus ex machina and tells the protagonist "stop whimpering about your damn family and get with the sci fi". Future son is never mentioned again!

From then on it's a better series full of convoluted multidimensional timetravel plot lines.

Graphed satisfaction

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt1954347
That sounds cool! Not everyone likes time travel stories, but I do.
So I'll take a closer look.

re:dream: no, I've never heard of it, what is it?!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:20 pm

TomViolenz wrote: "manly man fighting"

Which we know either gets you extremely hot or makes you feel really inadequate. Or both

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:21 pm

I mean, I'm sure the kind of really safe boring as fuck scifi - in which wealth redistribution is the law and laser guns have been outlawed - must be available throughout Europa. Are you really looking for it?

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x