Tips for Mastering Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PlainJaneFrancis

Tips for Mastering Ableton?

Post by PlainJaneFrancis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 am

Hi all.

I'm looking for advice on how to master the Ableton program. I have the live suit version 9, Ableton Push and an LPK25. I know my way around the program a bit, but I'm no where near as good as some of these people in the forums and others I see live and on line.

I would love to know of any tips for building songs to perform live. Like the workflow you go through to make a song that can be easily switched up on the fly.

Also, I've had Ableton for years and have yet to feel comfortable with sampling and warping/time stretching samples. I could do stuff like that without a problem with my MPC 1K and 500. But I don't even bother trying anymore with Ableton. Does anyone have any tips for that?

And lastly, I'm really interested in knowing what you think is the most underrated feature/instrument Ableton has to offer?

BTW my genre is hip hop/rap, and instrumentals. I'm a big fan of Danger Mouse, DOOM, Kanye West, Kool A.d., HIMANSHU, Blu, etc...

Thanks in advance.

http://plainjane.bandcamp.com/
http://leewaymgmt.bandcamp.com/album/cool-cool

jestermgee

Re: Tips for Mastering Ableton?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:04 am

Seems strange you have had Live all these years and have invested now in Push and upgraded to suit but seem to have almost no interest still to learn it?

The best tips would be to spend time just figuring these things out, watching youtube videos on each part you get into and doing it over and over until you just know. No amount of fasttracking or shortcuts will make up for a lack of desire to want to.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 am

^^^

What he said.

There is no substitute for just spending lots and lots of time using the tools you wish to master. Tutorials will only get you so far - you just gotta put in the effort!

But thats the good news! Because it IS FUN :lol:

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:51 am

PlainJaneFrancis wrote:Also, I've had Ableton for years and have yet to feel comfortable with sampling and warping/time stretching samples. I could do stuff like that without a problem with my MPC 1K and 500. But I don't even bother trying anymore with Ableton. Does anyone have any tips for that?
LOADS of tutorials on those specific features out there. Get busy. 8)
PlainJaneFrancis wrote: And lastly, I'm really interested in knowing what you think is the most underrated feature/instrument Ableton has to offer?
IMO....Racks are incredible and only as limited as your imagination. Don't know if they are 'underrated' - but they are awesome.

If you have got suite you should try creating some crazy long racks and automating parameters within it in different ways - use the LFO tool and other techniques - and record the output. Then go in and cherry pick the best bits, chop em up and whatever.

I don't know, its (Ableton) a tool, its all it is - experiment with it, use it, misuse it. :lol: You need to know it like the back of your hand, and you will soon develop your own unique idiosyncratic ways and processes. 8)

PlainJaneFrancis

Post by PlainJaneFrancis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the advise. I spent the weekend, trying new techniques and watching tutorials. Very informative stuff. Just takes patience i suppose. Thanks again and have a great week!