Ableton Live needs an advanced External Instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TenSquare

Ableton Live needs an advanced External Instrument

Post by TenSquare » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:58 pm

It would be great if External Instrument device could let us choose some MIDI Control Changes to be mapped to 8 (or more) macros buttons, like it is already the case with Instrument Rack device containing VST/AU Plugins in chains (use the hidden "Configure" button).

Here is my proposal "External Instrument II":

It would offer as well a way to explore external MIDI parameters with the XY pad! Fun! :wink:

33tetragammon

Re: Ableton Live needs an advanced External Instrument

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:39 am

I hate to say it, because it requires Max for Live to do this.

This should be standard without the addition of Max for Live, as numerous other stuff like LFO's, XY pads etc imo.

You can however draw midi cc clip envelopes (modulation), but you can't automate that afaik.

Nice music on your Soundcloud by the way. I really like the triphop and downtempo stuff!

TenSquare

Post by TenSquare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:27 am

33tetragammon wrote:I hate to say it, because it requires Max for Live to do this.

This should be standard without the addition of Max for Live, as numerous other stuff like LFO's, XY pads etc imo.

You can however draw midi cc clip envelopes (modulation), but you can't automate that afaik.

Nice music on your Soundcloud by the way. I really like the triphop and downtempo stuff!
Hello 33tetragammon,

You are right, I hate it too that it probably requires Max4Live at this time to provide a good solution to this simple problem! Arrgg... :evil:

I have done some C++ development back in time, and I don't understand why Ableton (apparently) didn't use the inheritance mecanism provided by this powerfull programming language to make External Instrument device looks (a bit) like Instrument Rack.

In my opinion, they should have build a kind of mould for all the others instruments, containing all the cool and fresh basics like macros (more than 8 please!), XY pad, MIDI CC assignable parameters, MIDI assignation keys and velocity, and so on.

I really hope Ableton's team will considere this missing functionality in External Instrument like a strong priority in the future! :D

Propellerhead has already done it in Reason 7 with their External MIDI Instrument, I haven't test it yet (I'm on Reason 6.5) but it seems more playable than Ableton External Instrument, thanks to the "CC Assign" function.

Thank you for your positive feedback concerning my music, ça me fait plaisir! :mrgreen:

At the moment I listen to Berlin's band "Moderat" a lot, I wish I could make some magical song like "Out Of Sight", "Damage Done" or "Bad Kingdom". It's a lot of work I guess!

All the best from France.

Ten Square

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Can't this already be done by putting the External Instrument into a Rack? Never tried it, just thinking...

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:25 pm

TenSquare wrote:

Propellerhead has already done it in Reason 7 with their External MIDI Instrument, I haven't test it yet (I'm on Reason 6.5) but it seems more playable than Ableton External Instrument, thanks to the "CC Assign" function.
Ahhhh, the man is using Reason as well. I'm on 7.1.1. Awesome to use Reason rewired to Live. Best combinator (pun intended!) ever imo!!!

Is Tensquare your username ot the Propellerhead forum as well?

TenSquare

Post by TenSquare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:10 pm

doghouse wrote:Can't this already be done by putting the External Instrument into a Rack? Never tried it, just thinking...
Hi doghouse,
Yes I spent some time testing this solution a few months ago, but it doesn't really help.
Thank you for your contribution.
Ten Square

TenSquare

Post by TenSquare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:15 pm

33tetragammon wrote:
Ahhhh, the man is using Reason as well. I'm on 7.1.1. Awesome to use Reason rewired to Live. Best combinator (pun intended!) ever imo!!!

Is Tensquare your username ot the Propellerhead forum as well?
Yes, like you I really love the combination [Live <=> ReWire <=> Reason], it provides the best things from both worlds (Live for sequencing and audio/MIDI effects, Reason for its instruments, sounds banks & rack effects).

And yes Ten Square is also my username on the Propellerhead forum. I'm nice to meet you! :P

All the best from France.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:23 am

Needs to be able to map multiple paramaters to one macro as well.

unix23

Post by unix23 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:03 am

TenSquare wrote:It would be great if External Instrument device could let us choose some MIDI Control Changes to be mapped to 8 (or more) macros buttons, like it is already the case with Instrument Rack device containing VST/AU Plugins in chains (use the hidden "Configure" button).
Hidden configure button?

TenSquare

Post by TenSquare » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:35 am

unix23 wrote:
TenSquare wrote:It would be great if External Instrument device could let us choose some MIDI Control Changes to be mapped to 8 (or more) macros buttons, like it is already the case with Instrument Rack device containing VST/AU Plugins in chains (use the hidden "Configure" button).
Hidden configure button?
Hi unix23,

Take a look at Ableton Live's user manual at page 229 (chapter 17.2.1 "Plug-Ins in the Device View"), it's all explained there.

The "Configure button" appears after you click on the arrow button available in VST devices, and then let you pick up some parameters of your choice, to be lately assigned to macros and/or automated.

Here is an example with NI Massive synth:

All the best.

gruvsyco

Post by gruvsyco » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:16 pm

+1 bump. Not sure I would need the macros at the device level but, for sure the ability to configure device parameters on external instruments. I'm cool with macros at the instrument rack or drum rack level. This would not only be a boon for automation on external hardware but would probably be sweet as a workaround for the external device in drum racks hack for Push users.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:11 pm

you can use ClyphXs Macrobat. with that you can make a rack and send midi CCs or PCs from the macros. it`s very simple and works great