kaoss + kkaossilator pro + ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maxsavage22

kaoss + kkaossilator pro + ableton

Post by maxsavage22 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 pm

hey guys… i have read previous how to's and everyone. i have no idea how to get these 2 things to work within ableton can anyone please help me.

im runnin a mac laptop..
a duet by apogee..
apc 40.
traktor Kontrol s$
Axiom 49
Kaoss PAD
Kaossilator

antarktika

Re: kaoss + kkaossilator pro + ableton

Post by antarktika » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Assuming that you mean as an FX unit, and not a midi controller, you have to run an output from your audio interface into the Kaoss pad, then a line out from the kp, to the input on your audio interface. Then use an "External Audio Effect" in Live, set the output to whatever output goes to the kp, and set the input to whatever input you are using. Blam, done! I usually set it up on a return track, I think sometimes when I've tried to set it up within tracks I've accidentally made feedback loops. As pertains to that, you might want to stick a limiter after the audio effect before you set up the in/outputs in case you mess up the routing so you don't blow out your ears/speakers.

packq

Post by packq » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Sorry for the up of this thread but i have a similar problem (note: I have a Kaoss Pad Quad).

Basically, this work:
antarktika wrote:Assuming that you mean as an FX unit, and not a midi controller, you have to run an output from your audio interface into the Kaoss pad, then a line out from the kp, to the input on your audio interface. Then use an "External Audio Effect" in Live, set the output to whatever output goes to the kp, and set the input to whatever input you are using. Blam, done!
This is my hardware setup: http://i.imgur.com/PEXuGzl.png
I create a track, put an "external audio effect" on it, "audio to/from" -> 3/4, "direct connection" in my Kaoss Quad, just play - touch the pad. It works perfectly (same if I put it on the master track http://i.imgur.com/MIAHTph.png).

BUT.....this doesn't work, and I don't understand why:
antarktika wrote:I usually set it up on a return track, I think sometimes when I've tried to set it up within tracks I've accidentally made feedback loops. As pertains to that, you might want to stick a limiter after the audio effect before you set up the in/outputs in case you mess up the routing so you don't blow out your ears/speakers.
I can't use it in a Return Track: the signal goes in and out (no feedback, no noise) but the effect doesn't work properly when I use the Pad.
I hear the dry drum loop AND the wet effect of the Kaoss at the same time. So, if I set the button "looper" in the Kaoss Quad, I hear the dry drum clip AND and the wet looper effect glitching the clip, simultaneously! :? But when I touch the pad I obviously want to hear only the wet effect/signal, not the dry one.

You could say: then put an "external audio effect" with your Kaoss Quad in all your audio tracks! Yes fine, it works (as I said above), BUT only one track at a time.
If I want to effect "1 Audio" and "2 Audio" at the same time, switching on the effect in all tracks increases the signal and the audio goes red and clip! Every time I switch on an external effect with the Kaoss, it increases the volume!

Basically, without the return track, I can only effect one single track, or the entire audio ("external audio effect" with the Kaoss on the master track).
Effect on two audio tracks --> clipping.

But my aim is to be able to, for example, effect only 2 tracks and not the others!
This is simple with the classic "return track" (like the reverb, the delay) but it doesn't work with the Kaoss Pad, I hear both the dry and wet signal.

Any idea??
Thanks in advance!

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:08 pm

*Create an audio channel, name it KQ..
*Route (which channels you want fx'ed) outputs to input of KQ,
*Insert kaoss quad (with external audio effect plugin) on this KQ channel.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:05 pm

packq wrote: But my aim is to be able to, for example, effect only 2 tracks and not the others!
This is simple with the classic "return track" (like the reverb, the delay) but it doesn't work with the Kaoss Pad, I hear both the dry and wet signal.
sorry for the confusion, that is because reverb and delay are traditional send effects, depending on what effect you are using (e.g. filtering), KP3 will sometimes be used as an insert, in which case you have to set the output of any return track that uses the KP to "Sends only" if you want to use it as an insert affecting multiple tracks. it's just a bus, and I use a return track because I find it easier keeping it grouped with the return tracks rather than sitting in the middle of all my instruments and audio tracks. You could just set up a standard bus track as well by grouping any tracks you want affected and setting up the kp on the group channel.

packq

Post by packq » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:53 pm

antarktika wrote:
packq wrote: But my aim is to be able to, for example, effect only 2 tracks and not the others!
sorry for the confusion, that is because reverb and delay are traditional send effects, depending on what effect you are using (e.g. filtering), KP3 will sometimes be used as an insert, in which case you have to set the output of any return track that uses the KP to "Sends only" if you want to use it as an insert affecting multiple tracks. it's just a bus, and I use a return track because I find it easier keeping it grouped with the return tracks rather than sitting in the middle of all my instruments and audio tracks. You could just set up a standard bus track as well by grouping any tracks you want affected and setting up the kp on the group channel.
I've tried the bus track, the "sends only" with the return track, they work yes.
Perhaps I expressed myself badly, what I'm trying to do is obviously effect some audio tracks, but without "grouping" them. Just a button or a knob and the effect is ready (then when I touch the pad it kicks in). Like the reverb, the delay that appear by default when you open Ableton Live: just turn the knob of any track without restriction.

Take this video for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v7EugD5jNo
All these things work, but if - for example - I need to effect the snare (watch min 4:30) with other tracks and then I decide I want it back dry (only the snare!) keeping the other tracks effected.....I can't! Turning the knob "Sends B" off would mean that the sound just disappears, not that the dry signal comes back.
This doesn't happen if I use the reverb or delay sends.

I'm looking for a way to be able to freely choose when to effect tracks with my Kaoss.
With "normal" effect/sends it's possible, maybe with an external effect it is not.........?

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:27 pm

packq wrote: Turning the knob "Sends B" off would mean that the sound just disappears, not that the dry signal comes back.
That's because delay and reverb are send effects already. But you are trying to use an insert effect like send..

Ok then..

Create 2 return tracks; 1st one is empty, 2nd is kaoss inserted..
make your tracks "sends only". Map your audio channels' both sends to a pad or keyboard shortcut but in reverse.
Meaning when send A is %100, send B is %0.

When you hit the pad (or shortcut), signal goes through send B, totally fx'ed, hit again signal goes through send A, full dry..

There is also another way, which works wery well with software fx like stutter edit or the finger etc.. (2 returns, first is utility inserted with phase reverse. this goes through send B by its own send, and fx is on send B..)
but i dont think this will work with hardware fx (because of latency)

packq

Post by packq » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:04 pm

alpertt wrote:
packq wrote: Turning the knob "Sends B" off would mean that the sound just disappears, not that the dry signal comes back.
That's because delay and reverb are send effects already. But you are trying to use an insert effect like send..

Ok then..

Create 2 return tracks; 1st one is empty, 2nd is kaoss inserted..
make your tracks "sends only". Map your audio channels' both sends to a pad or keyboard shortcut but in reverse.
Meaning when send A is %100, send B is %0.

When you hit the pad (or shortcut), signal goes through send B, totally fx'ed, hit again signal goes through send A, full dry.
Ahhhhhhhh it was so simple!! :lol:
I'm relatively new to all this stuff (effects, sends, chains) and I was stuck one-thing-does-one-thing!

Thanks very very much alpertt!! :wink:

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:10 am

your welcome packq :)

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:09 am

Or you could have just flipped the switch on the back of the kaoss pad from insert to send
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:20 am

:|