Using loops in your productions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scottymac

Using loops in your productions

Post by scottymac » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:10 am

Hello

I am just getting to grips with Ableton and was hoping to get some pointers on working with Audio loops. Please can you post something creative you do with loops so I can learn from your experience and knowledge to get things moving.Please take into consideration I am a newbe to Ableton so I may need it dummy proof haha Thank you in advance.

Just one question...What's the best way to just start throwing loops into my productions and making them fit my tempo and swing settings. I have come from Logic and used Flex for this which was incredible! What's the best way in Ableton please?

Quantize

Re: Using loops in your productions

Post by Quantize » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Scotty,

Here is a free video we recently posted showing a quick way of deconstructing loops to build your own drum kits with them.

http://quantizecourses.com/ableton-loop-expert/

This is part of a full pack covering audio loops in Live which may be of interest to you.

Cheers,

Keith

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Re fitting your tempo and swing settings, it's just a matter of using the groove pool.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using-grooves/

If your loop is properly warped, you should be able to select the groove settings you want and Live will adjust the timing of the loop to suit.

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much fellas!

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:50 pm

@ Quantize

The course looks very interesting indeed! I do have a question though.You cover a lot of techniques and I'm assuming you'll be using a lot of the Ableton plug ins.I only have the standard version and to go with that I have Rob Papen delay and reverb,Fxpansion Dcam synth squad and Ohmicide Distortion unit. Not sure I'll need these but will I be able to complete the course with my bag of goodies?

Cheers

Quantize

Post by Quantize » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Sure will - the entire course only uses Ableton Standard devices to make life easy for everyone :-)

btw that bag of goodies will take you a very long way! They are great plugins to add to Live. I'm a big fan of Dcam and Ohmicide.

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:49 pm

@ Quantize. That's brilliant! I'm going to get onto that after I've did a few tutorials in Mac Pro Vid. I'm just going through the motions of getting a workflow in Ableton (from Logic) then I will do that course you advised for some creative inspiration.I've always kept loops at arms length because I've never really experimented with them in depth.

It's nice to know you approve my bag of goodies. I did a bit of research and thought I'm going to stick to just a few selected plug ins and master them. I just can't really find some in depth tutorials that explain all the features on them. You would think that the mnufacturers would issue a tutorial dvd or at least the option to purchase one showing you it's potentialities. I suppose it's an incentive to get dug in which is always a good option. I get more benefit from video tutorials rather than reading the manuals, some terminology throws me sometimes. More work required haha

Thanks for advice!

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Just wondering why my loops are changing completely when I'm dropping grooves on them???

Post by re:dream » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:45 pm

'completely'?

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Yeah I'm applying a groove quantise of 1/16t with a 25% quantise setting and it sounds nothing like the original loop. I can hear phasing issues and distortion.Totally changes it?

Post by re:dream » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:12 am

That sounds odd. Can you post up an example? At most, what should happen when you apply to a loop is some slight timing changes.

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:00 pm

How do I post an example?

unix23

Post by unix23 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:09 pm

In Preferences -> Record/Warp/Launch tab make sure to de-select “Create Fades on Clip Edges." By default, a 4 ms fade happens on your audio clips, otherwise. You can manually adjust them for individual clips, if you need to.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 pm

scottymac wrote:How do I post an example?
do you have a soundcloud account?

if so, upload 2 tracks: A (clean) and B (altered).

post the link here.

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:37 pm

I have just clicked onto the sample itself and changed the warp mode to 'beats' and it's fine now.I had it on Re-pitch. I'm just getting to grips with Ableton and overlooked this. Thank you so much for the offer to help.