Best iPad app for starting projects to be brought into Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Best iPad app for starting projects to be brought into Live?

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Tarekith wrote: Happy to share any of my finished Auria projects though.

Little tight on funds right now to drop $50 on an app (plus whatever effects plug-ins you might have incorporated) but I’ll probably take you up on that when I can afford it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:51 pm

FYI. I just discovered virtual MIDI in iOS. I don’t know which apps support it because it’s not a default thing but as an example I was able to program a MIDI pattern in Beatmaker 2 and send it to the Animoog app.

BUT you will also need to incorporate the Audiobus app to record the audio in the DAW, otherwise the sound is playing in the background and isn’t part of the DAW mix. In Beatmaker 2 I had to have 1 track sending MIDI out to Animoog and another track receiving audio from Animoog. I don’t know if any other apps handle it better.

Also as far as I know there is no MIDI sync between DAW apps and sound generating apps so if you have a sound generating app with a step sequence or arpeggiator it’s not going to automatically start the sequence when you hit play on the DAW and the tempo isn’t going to automatically match either.

su

Post by su » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Citizen wrote:6 week holiday
8O

Enjoy!

su

Post by su » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:50 pm

beats me wrote:Also as far as I know there is no MIDI sync between DAW apps and sound generating apps so if you have a sound generating app with a step sequence or arpeggiator it’s not going to automatically start the sequence when you hit play on the DAW and the tempo isn’t going to automatically match either.
This is true AFAIK which ironically makes the workflow of the latest cool tool resemble the 1980s - i.e. hardware synths and tape decks/DAT machines. :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:23 pm

su wrote:
beats me wrote:Also as far as I know there is no MIDI sync between DAW apps and sound generating apps so if you have a sound generating app with a step sequence or arpeggiator it’s not going to automatically start the sequence when you hit play on the DAW and the tempo isn’t going to automatically match either.
This is true AFAIK which ironically makes the workflow of the latest cool tool resemble the 1980s - i.e. hardware synths and tape decks/DAT machines. :wink:

In some ways its worse than that. When you had all dedicated hardware you could at least see what each piece of hardware is doing or where the track is at. When recording with a third party app into a DAW app you have no idea where the song is actually at because the DAW is virtually covered by the sound app and Audiobus only provides you with a stop/play/record button.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Once more apps support IAA it will be easier, since that supports a timing counter display which helps.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Hey Tarekith, any real reason to get the full version of Auoria over the half price LE version? From what I gather it’s just more tracks which it sounds like it might choke before you get to that many tracks anyway and a higher sample rate which IMO is a bunch placebo BS anyway. Thoughts?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:01 am

Too bad you didn't do this last week, Auria was half off for a couple days.

I'll be honest I knew I was going to use Auria a lot so I just bought the full version without even glancing at the LE version. So I have no idea what the differences are. The Auria forums are a friendly place if you want to ask over there though.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:24 am

check out seekbeats for drum synth

also check out stroke machine