Cloned MIDI clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
RumbleMonk

Cloned MIDI clips

Post by RumbleMonk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:38 pm

I've surprisingly not seen this mentioned ever but it might've been.. in any case;

Cloned MIDI clips please kind Ableton! I find it a bit annoying to keep finding myself doing the slightest tweak to a clip then having to go through the entire sequence to make the same changes throughout 8 mins of track gloriousness (I like to kid myself sometimes ok).

This is also great for layering up instruments, just clone a MIDI clip and another track anywhere else will get updated as well.

I know you can easily pipe your MIDI from one track as an 'in' to another track but it's not enough for me.

This should be a very simple thing to do but provide a lot of help imho.

It almost seems like I've missed something to be honest, would be good to hear what you think about this. Have I missed something or am I alone in wanting something like this?

Thanks.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Re: Cloned MIDI clips

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:12 pm

I agree, it's one of my most wanted features. It has been suggested regularly throughout the years, and I'm surprised there is no such functionality.

Jdudeo

Post by Jdudeo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:01 am

+1

pcf

Post by pcf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:10 am

+1.

It's actually the main reason I waited so long to go from Cubase to Live, that there was no (easy) way to use clones or "ghost copies".

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 am

+1

I've suggested this before, too. I think a good analogy here would be in Adobe's Indesign, where you can create a "style" for a text block, and any text frame using this style will be updated when you change the style. It would be really nice if Live had this, where you could also easily select a clip and select "unlink", or something like that, so that the clip in question would be "freed" from that style, and no longer affected by changes to another identical clip.

mcdreamer

Post by mcdreamer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:20 pm

+1

Yes please. Would be great in both session view and arrangement view.

esaias

Post by esaias » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 am

+1

-tomi

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:17 am

Just today I was regretting committing my scenes to arrangement (5 part math-rock opus [hee hee] at nearly 10:00) and the clip duality that ensued. Dragging an edited clip from arrangement back to session is annoying, especially when you have to do it for kicks and hats bar by bar because your arrangement has 1-2 eighth-note time changes every few bars and if you consolidate the clips the MIDI editor will say everything is in 10/8 now and it's way harder to parse the bars.

Live and fucking learn.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 am

You know, ever since getting Push and getting more and more into Session view, I find myself hating track automation in Arrangement. It's simply way too cumbersome compared to in-clip automation. I totally agree that moving clips back into Session for this and simple overdubbing is becoming more and more of an annoyance.