How to deliver a click track to a musician.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
petrecrice

How to deliver a click track to a musician.

Post by petrecrice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:21 am

Hi Ableton Experts,
I'm familiar with how to listen and adjust the metronome. What I can't figure out is how to route and record the metronome audio without using an external audio interface. Is this a case for Rewire? I guess I could easily Rewire Ableton with Logic running as a slave, but that seems a little hefty for a simple task.

Purpose? It's part of what I deliver to the other musicians & studios I work with (using other DAWs) and to the publisher.
PETR E.C. RICE
Music & Sound Designer
www.petrecrice.com

petrecrice

Re: How to deliver a click track to a musician.

Post by petrecrice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 am

I found the metronome.adg file and I guess I can make clips with midi info....each for every time signature...but that's not ideal.
There must be a way to get access to that signal, either midi or audio.
PETR E.C. RICE
Music & Sound Designer
www.petrecrice.com

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Come on, that's not so painful to make your own click track...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Regarding your comment about different clips for each and every different time signature -- wouldn't you just need to make one clip with the high pitched click first, and then copy paste like 12 - 16 lower click notes after on each beat, and then you could just adjust the loop length for your various time signatures? Loop 3 beats = 3/4 time, loop 4 beats = 4/4 time, loop 5 beats = 5/4 etc.

If you are specifically talking about routing the audio through a separate audio channel, separated from some other audio stream, but without an external interface, you are going to have a bad time.

If you had an external interface the matter would be trivial:
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/mixing/
15.6 Soloing and Cueing

I'm not sure if I'm following you entirely though. Regarding rewiring into Logic -- that's nonsensical. Whatever you are doing with that cue track can be done directly through Live, there's no need to add a layer of complexity to it.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5