Choke Groups Not Working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
schlocktober

Choke Groups Not Working

Post by schlocktober » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Choke groups work fine for me inside of drum kits from the library. However, when I set them up myself, they don't choke at all.

I drag closed and open hh sounds into a drum rack, open the chain editor i/o, and set all the hh chains to the same choke group. As far as I understand it, that's all I should have to do to get a choke group working properly, but the open hh still plays over the closed hh.

Any suggestions?

kb420

Re: Choke Groups Not Working

Post by kb420 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 am

It sounds like you are doing it right. I don't know why it's not working. I've never had a problem with choke groups. As a matter of fact, I just made one with the latest version of Live (9.1.3) and it's working just fine.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

schlocktober

Post by schlocktober » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 am

I feel like I have had the same issue on two different computers, which leads to the conclusion that it must be my fault.

My workaround has been to open up the whole kit and delete everything but the hihats. If I were smart I would save that preset.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 am

schlocktober wrote:I feel like I have had the same issue on two different computers, which leads to the conclusion that it must be my fault.

My workaround has been to open up the whole kit and delete everything but the hihats. If I were smart I would save that preset.
Send me the Live set, and let me see if you are doing something wrong.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

timday

Post by timday » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 am

I seem to remember having a similar issue and I think it's when you end up with nested drum racks because you are using instruments (from the drums in the instruments/drums folder) instead of samples in the rack.

I think the way round it is to change the nested rack (i.e. the sound on the pad) from "recieve all" which tends to be the default to the pad it's on. It makes sense that if somnething is recieving all it can't be in a choke group.

Don't have Ableton in front of me right now so could be wrong.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Bingo! You're spot on. Changing the incoming note to 'receive all' destroys a choke group.