Key command to start from beginning?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hmj

Re:

Post by hmj » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 pm

subbasshead wrote:this thread has raised two issues that need to be addressed in the next version

1. a single keystroke to rewidn to zero & start playback

2. sort out the focus
it really bugs me when i cant use +/- to zoom without using the mosue to click
somewhere first, to shift focus... fair enough if there are 2 or 3 possibilities
of what I coudl be zooming, BUT if there is only one then zoom!!!!!!!
I find LIVE slow to edit in (comapred w ProTools) for this reason alone
I can cut & do everything in PT without using a mouse
I cant do the same in LIVE without a whole lot of trial & error & setting up quickeys...

/end vent
These issues are NOT addressed in Live 9. BUT! We do have another APC/Launchpad to buy!!

nylarch

Re: Key command to start from beginning?

Post by nylarch » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 am

I have a template that always maps the number pad "1" to a locater at the beginning. Once you get used to it its automatic. As the arrangement grows I start adding more numbers to various locaters (first verse, etc.) like markers in logic. Quick and very usable.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

PacoMerh

Post by PacoMerh » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Just use HOME key , or fn + left arrow to return to zero
nothing else.

DorianGrey

Post by DorianGrey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:21 pm

thanks subbasshead for your answer.. 15 years later your answer stimm makes sense and saves me a lot of time .. or did ableton chance something till today (v9) and I didnt get it?

DorianGrey

Post by DorianGrey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 pm

oh thanks PacoMerh, seems Ableton did change sth the last 10 years;) FN+Left or right.. know i know..

Reverus

Post by Reverus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 am

Hey, so I have been watching the "MasterClass" videos with Deadmau5 doing a trick on Ableton (there is also a video on youtube where he is doing this!) and while he is sequencing midi in Arrangement view the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the measure whenever he hits something (it is a screen view so I can't see what he hits). Grr... it looks like an easy way to just listen as you are creating melodies, without having to 2xstop/start from the beginning or clicking in the scrub area to start playback at a specific time... rewinding just a measure and pausing would be epic... and apparently it CAN be done. I will re-post the answer here if I find it! :wink:
(I'm using Ableton Live 10 on windows 10... just sayin)

Note: I just realized this isn't in Session view, but you can still just swap the midi back to Session after you work it out... so still works

hunterwiley

Post by hunterwiley » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:44 pm

I used KEY map to key "r" and it seems to work well with workflow of spacebar toggle to stop/go, then + "r" if I ever want to return to beginning after stopping with spacebar. I think it's important to find keys that are not commonly used throughout live. Not sure if key mapping non-numerals makes a difference ie: 1, 2, etc over alpha characters, but I see how it could conflict--especially with 1's and 0's.

supadisco

Post by supadisco » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Yeah this has always bugged me. I started on Live 2.0 then took a break for 15 years and only got back into it recently. Shocked such a small thing hasn’t been addressed yet. It’s like they’re trolling user something.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:57 pm

One way around some of these shortcut limitations is to get a programmable keyboard or keypad, or use AutoHotKey on Windows or KeyboardMaestro on macOS. These allow macros and remapping. I prefer the programmable keypad but I've used the programs and made use of the numeric keypad. Also, the programmable keypad lets assign the keys you want without losing them when you need to type in a name or value.

I'd love to see all the shortcuts programmable, and more of them but this is the next best thing.

BTW, in this case it would be space + home + space.

pazpatu

Post by pazpatu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am

Reverus wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 am
Hey, so I have been watching the "MasterClass" videos with Deadmau5 doing a trick on Ableton (there is also a video on youtube where he is doing this!) and while he is sequencing midi in Arrangement view the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the measure whenever he hits something (it is a screen view so I can't see what he hits).
Hi Reverus,
Saw the same video. Apparently he is able to select a note and PLAY FROM IT. So simple !
However, still searching how he's doing the trick ;)
Did you find something ?
Best

Reverus

Post by Reverus » Sun May 31, 2020 11:08 pm

Hey Not sure if you will see this, its been like a year... I'm not a very dependable forum goer... lol But since then I've learned SOOO much about Ableton... I've been making tracks all day every day (well, while I'm not working)

so: To play from a specific spot in the clip view screen in arrangement mode, it is just a basic transport skillz,... just ctrl+space and it will play from where you have just clicked, (ie - from where you have placed the "insert marker" the blinking vertical line..)

Sadly this trick wont work in Session mode... would be nice though, I spend a lot of time moving the start markers on a handful of clips just so I can sync them all and work on a single bar of music without waiting for the previous 10 bars to finish!!!
(multi-selecting clips does start playback from any measure further into the clips... but in that screen you can't adjust automation!!!
which kinda sucks... it would save me loads of time to be able to start playback from a specific point while adjusting modulation... perhaps I need to start working in arrangement mode more! :idea:

quasirobo

Post by quasirobo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 am

cmd + space opens spotlight search for me on mac, so that doesn't work.

Instead, I hit option + shift + left a bunch of times, then escape, which works fine for shorter tracks.