PULL Ableton Device/VST controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stoersignal

Re: PULL - iPad device controller - Speed up your workflow!

Post by stoersignal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 pm

mauronedj wrote:Hi,
Can I download the manual before the purchase?
I want only to know if this work with external plugins cause it's the main reason for me to purchase.
If I can make my own template for all the external plugins it's a really game changer for the ableton workflow I think!
Having a controller that match the onscreen layout of the VST's it's a game changer for me!
Thanks,
Mauro.
no it isn`t, only with racks.
but they said there are more templates in the pipeline

aioffermann

Re: RELEASED! - iPad device controller - Speed up your workflow!

Post by aioffermann » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:45 pm

xmonsta wrote:Hi aioffermann - did you manage to get it working once you replaced the files?

One other thing, it works on both 64bit and 32bit.
Yes, I managed to merge the folders. Now the device looks fine, but after I enter my IPs and click large template, nothing has happened.

Also, I'm new to Lemur so I tried loading up the basic faders template and then sending the large template, nothing happened, but now I'm also unsure of how to get back to a blank template.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth noting that I found my IP for both devices just by entering "what is my IP" on google. They are identical.

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:00 pm

mauronedj wrote:Hi,
Can I download the manual before the purchase?
I want only to know if this work with external plugins cause it's the main reason for me to purchase.
If I can make my own template for all the external plugins it's a really game changer for the ableton workflow I think!
Having a controller that match the onscreen layout of the VST's it's a game changer for me!
Thanks,
Mauro.

Hi mauronedj,

Yes, send us a message at info[at]xmonsta[dot]com and we'll send the manual to you.

Out of interest which VST's would you like to use?

The software has the functionality inside for VST control, but it will require an update to activate it and will need to be thoroughly tested. We will work on this and post back here when it's ready (it's pretty much ready).

We will also do some tutorials on how to create your own templates. It's pretty easy to create the basic controls (a bit harder to do things like ADSR breakpoints and also showing the parameter values). The PULL templates for Live's native devices should provide you pretty much what you need to get these functions though.

It's worth bearing in mind that some VST's hide controls (like effectrix's grid) these wont ever be available to ableton/pull, unless the third party developers make them available. You can get a good idea of what is available, by clicking the "configure" button on a VST and then trying to change the parameter value.

Ableton can only access 128 parameters of a VST - we are looking at ways to increase this, by using Max for instance, or pushing Ableton to make more available.

Most VST's should work pretty well. For instance, Massive has about 150 parameters. Massive has a few things unavailable like choosing waveforms, but most params are available.

For the most part, VST effects will have their params available. VSTi synths though, may have 1000s of parameters, like Albino. However, the interfaces are so good/complex on these VSTi's there's probably no reason to try and recreate them through a touchscreen. This is the odd occasion where we don't mind using the mouse!

Interested to hear your feedback.
Last edited by xmonsta on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.xmonsta.com Music devices and controllers for Ableton Live

xmonsta

Re: RELEASED! - iPad device controller - Speed up your workflow!

Post by xmonsta » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:09 pm

aioffermann wrote:
xmonsta wrote:Hi aioffermann - did you manage to get it working once you replaced the files?

One other thing, it works on both 64bit and 32bit.
Yes, I managed to merge the folders. Now the device looks fine, but after I enter my IPs and click large template, nothing has happened.

Also, I'm new to Lemur so I tried loading up the basic faders template and then sending the large template, nothing happened, but now I'm also unsure of how to get back to a blank template.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth noting that I found my IP for both devices just by entering "what is my IP" on google. They are identical.
Hi aioffermann,

If you are using a router your router ip should look something like this (log into your router to find this): (the 192.168.1 bit might vary)

On your MAC/PC you can check your IP by going to LAN or WIFI settings your IP should look like this:

192.168.1.2 (note the last digit is the only one that is different, this means theyre on the same network)
- you fill this address into your Lemur settings (top right hand corner, there is a box in the middle, put the IP in there and set the port next to it to 8004)

On your iPad you can check your IP by going to settings > wifi. It should be something like:

192.168.1.3 (again last digit is different, but its on the same network)
- you fill this address into your Max device PULL v1.0.amxd with port 8004

You may need to set the IP's up manually, if they're not getting their IP addresses automatically properly (you may notice an address like 169.254.x.x and this signifies a problem)

Then when you click the large template button, ableton should freeze for about 20 seconds while it sends the template, then it will flash up on the lemur with some buttons.

If youre still having problems right click on the top of the device and select "open max window" to see if there are any errors.

You're welcome to also contact support[at]xmonsta[dot]com to get dedicated support.

Cheers

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Well I am using a router, should I use the router's IP for both?

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:26 pm

aioffermann wrote:Well I am using a router, should I use the router's IP for both?
Yes, router IPs for both (unless youre using adhoc)

Sometimes its best to set up all your computers manually, so you know exactly how they're connecting (routers have a funny habit of screwing up the DHCP/automatic IP addressing).

Check your router IP:

Then set your PC/Mac manually to

192.168.1.x (x can be anything between 0-255, recommended to use between 10)

Do the same for your iPad, making sure the last digit is different to your router and your MAC, or PC.

If you're using MAC/iPad the subnet field will be 255.255.0.0 - if its PC/iPad then subnet will be 255.255.255.0

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:35 pm

using manual local IPs is not a good idea unless you are reserving those IPs in the router settings, because the router may well be assigning those IP addresses to different devices on the local network. that's a recipe for a local network clusterfuck.

@aioffermann: it's the local IPs of your computer and iPad that you need to use, those are the IP addresses that your router assigns to them. Lemur on your iPad needs to know the local IP of your computer, and the Pull device on your computer needs to know the local IP of your iPad. it's not the IP you would have found on Google, that is your public IP in the big wide world.

also, your local IPs might be of the form 10.0.0.x (not all routers use the 192.168.1.x address space for local networks)...

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:40 pm

fishmonkey wrote:using manual local IPs is not a good idea unless you are reserving those IPs in the router settings, because the router may well be assigning those IP addresses to different devices on the local network. that's a recipe for a local network clusterfuck.

@aioffermann: it's the local IPs of your computer and iPad that you need to use, those are the IP addresses that your router assigns to them. Lemur on your iPad needs to know the local IP of your computer, and the Pull device on your computer needs to know the local IP of your iPad. it's not the IP you would have found on Google, that is your public IP in the big wide world.

also, your local IPs might be of the form 10.0.0.x (not all routers use the 192.168.1.x address space for local networks)...
Yes, fishmonkey's right - your local IP may vary 192.168.1.x could be 170.189.3.x - (log into your router to find this out)

Im not sure setting up your LAN manually is a bad idea though, if its a home router. Of course if youre managing 100 PC's in an office setting you probably wouldnt want to manage them all manually. However, giving people a manual IP when they connect to your home network is a sure fire way to make sure they can connect every time.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 pm

xmonsta wrote: Im not sure setting up your LAN manually is a bad idea though, if its a home router. Of course if youre managing 100 PC's in an office setting you probably wouldnt want to manage them all manually. However, giving people a manual IP when they connect to your home network is a sure fire way to make sure they can connect every time.
setting up your local IPs manually is fine if you know what you are doing and you set it up in the router itself. just putting manual addresses into each device is not a good idea though, and not good advice to someone who doesn't even know the difference between LAN and WAN addresses to begin with...

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Well I'm pretty sure I found my router's IP. It's listed in system preferences and also on the iPad in preferences > wi-fi. So I changed my computer IP to mirror my router's IP except for the last digit, which I just added 1 to... My iPad's IP was already identical to the router's IP except for the last digit, so I left that as is. I do know the original Mac IP, if I should change it back to that tho... Still not sending the template...

Thanks for all the help tho!

EDIT: Also, the subnet is 255.255.255.0 for both my iPad and Mac.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04 am

that subnet mask setting is fine.

i recommend setting your Mac back to "Using DHCP" and then rebooting your router. when everything comes back up, check the IP addresses of both the Mac and iPad, and use those numbers (the Mac's IP in Lemur on your iPad, and the iPad's IP in the Pull Max device)...

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10 am

fishmonkey wrote:that subnet mask setting is fine.

i recommend setting your Mac back to "Using DHCP" and then rebooting your router. when everything comes back up, check the IP addresses of both the Mac and iPad, and use those numbers (the Mac's IP in Lemur on your iPad, and the iPad's IP in the Pull Max device)...
Did all that, still no dice... Very puzzled here... I'll look more into IPs and stuff tomorrow I guess.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:17 am

are your computer and iPad definitely connecting to the same router?

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 am

fishmonkey wrote:are your computer and iPad definitely connecting to the same router?
yea, without a doubt.

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 am

aioffermann wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:are your computer and iPad definitely connecting to the same router?
yea, without a doubt.

Hey aiofferman,

Feel free to contact the support address. Ill happily set up a skype call with you (we can do this now if you like), doing screen sharing, so you can get set up correctly. Might be quicker than back and forth on the forums (should only take a few minutes) and will give you a general understanding of your network works and how your MAC/Lemur communicates across it.

Also, it might be something completely different, like a file copied in the wrong place. We can detect this too, because it sounds like your IP's are set up near enough correctly.
Last edited by xmonsta on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.