Racked 3rd party plugins causing lag when selecting tracks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boboter

Racked 3rd party plugins causing lag when selecting tracks?

Post by boboter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Update:
I think I found what is causing the problem: It seems to be racked 3rd party plugins I use. So I have most of my effects racked for easy access of the most important parameters. And I place those racks onto my tracks, obviously. So when I have e.g. six tracks with 8 racked plugins each, switching between those tracks takes mad long. But as soon as I get rid of the rack/grouping, everything works way faster. It's still the same plugins with the same settings, just not racked.

It would be great if someone else could try this out.
Thanks

--------------

Hey guys,

I recently noticed a somewhat annoying behavior in Live. Can't say for sure if it startet with 9.1.3 or 9.1.4 as I updated them in a short period of time:
When I select a track (audio or midi) it takes quite a while until Live highlights it and I can see the clips/effects. The same happens when playing a drum rack with Push. I hit a pad and can hear the sound. But it takes super long until the pad is highlighted and I can edit the parameters.

Granted, my projects are complex, heavy on the cpu and a lot is going on in them. But my maxed out iMac could handle them well until about two weeks ago.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Thanks
Last edited by boboter on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
jogging house .... synths, samples, nostalgia & delay.
soundcloud . bandcamp . facebook . vimeo . tumblr

TomViolenz

Re: Lag between selecting tracks/drum pads.

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:20 pm

Same here, but this has been like this for ever for me.
I think it matters how many devices you have on each pad.

I turn of the arrow for selecting the pad when hitting a pad now mostly, it's otherwise too bothersome.

boboter

Re: Lag between selecting tracks/drum pads.

Post by boboter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Hmm, the devices in my drum rack haven't changed in about a year. Strange. Everything worked smooth up until recently.

boboter

Re: Racked plugins causing lag when selecting tracks/drum pads?

Post by boboter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 am

I think I found the reason for the lag: It's the racked effects I'm using. Not the effects themselves, just the racking. I've updated the first post so please see above. And If you got the time, please try it out on your system. Thanks.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:21 am

I don't understand. So you are saying the solution to the problems that having vsts in racks on the DrumPads cause, is not to have them?!
Yeah, I would have figured as much...

boboter

Post by boboter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 am

No, that's not what I'm saying. I meant that racking them causes the problem. And it gets way more noticeable in audio track. I have all my vsts racked, you know, grouping them and mapping the 8 macros. And if I drop the same vsts on the same track just without them being racked, everything is way fast.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:40 am

boboter wrote:No, that's not what I'm saying. I meant that racking them causes the problem. And it gets way more noticeable in audio track. I have all my vsts racked, you know, grouping them and mapping the 8 macros. And if I drop the same vsts on the same track just without them being racked, everything is way fast.
But in my case at least (the DrumRack case you mentioned in your OP) this boils down to the same thing.

On each of the 16 DrumRack pads I have one InstrumentRack which contains one Sampler and one Shaack Audio TransientShaper. Important parameters of both are mapped to the macros of said InstrumentRacks.

What you are suggesting would totaly kill this workflow and sounds to me like you're the doctor who answers to the question: "My arm hurts when I move it like this. What should I do?!", with: "Well, then don't move it like this..."

boboter

Post by boboter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:48 am

You're absolutely right of course. And I still have racks in my drum rack. That's why I was talking about audio tracks for getting rid of the racking. The strange thing is that my switching between drum pads also is faster when I don't have racks in my regular audio tracks.

Also, I don't think that this is a real solution. It is just some strange behavior I noticed. Because the grouping of vsts shouldn't cause this lag ideally, right? So I mainly wanted to get some kind of confirmation from other users and hope that Ableton maybe could look into this.

So again, if someone could test this on audio tracks, I would be very grateful.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:05 am

As I said before I just turned off the arrow and do the selection of the pads with my pad controller and a clyphx solution.
Which does basically do this: select device 2.x.1, lock control surface, all in one go. The interesting thing is, in this case there is no lag whatsoever, it's lightning fast!
As soon as I press the button to lock I can turn the encoder to control the macros and the appropriate chain comes into view.

boboter

Post by boboter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:08 am

:) Ok, i'm glad you found a solution that works for you.

But still I find it strange that racking is causing such lags on audio tracks. If someone could test this, it would be great.

Schmidi

Re: Racked 3rd party plugins causing lag when selecting tracks?

Post by Schmidi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 pm

I would suggest using Live devices whenever possible in your racks. 3rd party stuff has caused a lot of inconsistencies for me in the past and so I just try and get the best out of the Live stuff. It's a little easier now that M4L is in Suite too as that opens up a lot of new content.

boboter

Re: Racked 3rd party plugins causing lag when selecting tracks?

Post by boboter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey, thanks for your reply. Sadly, this is not an option for me. Stuff like e.g. Softube and Soundtoys is sounding so much better imho, that I happily sacrifice the optiion to map their parameters to macros instead of using ableton's own effects.