Macbook Pro Retina + Apogee Duet 2 + Ableton Problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
filipk

Macbook Pro Retina + Apogee Duet 2 + Ableton Problem

Post by filipk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:11 pm

I know there was a few similar topics but i but i haven't found any answers yet so i decided to make this topic with hope of getting any useful advice. I'm running my Ableton Live Suite 9 on my Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013) plus Apogee Duet 2. I've been using the same setup on my Macbook Pro 2011 (2.5 non-retina of course). Until switching to retina it was all alright but now there's crackles pops all over. With only 4 tracks with one VST it's impossible to play it smoothly.
I don't think it's Maverick's problem because i had my Ableton on Mavericks on my old Macbook and it was working fine (with Apogee Duet)

As playing live is my main duty i can't imagine going on stage with that setup. And it's really depressing as i've perceiving buying Retina Macbook as an upgrade. So is changing laptop is the only way out? Is there anyone that had the same issue and fixed it anyhow? if not what did you do? I was event thinking about switching for Macbook Air but i'm not sure will it work on Air either.

In 3 weeks i have to be ready so please help.

Thanks.

wjbuchanan

Re: Macbook Pro Retina + Apogee Duet 2 + Ableton Problem

Post by wjbuchanan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Does your new Mac have a fusion drive? Supposedly there are issues with audio devices and fusion drives.

booksofbokonon

Post by booksofbokonon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:44 am

This is the exact setup I use. Unless your gear is a dud it should run like a champ. Try these things (in this order):
1. Update duet firmware
2. Reinstall Apogee Maestro 2
3. Update Ableton (which version are you on?)
4. In Ableton preferences, experiment with different sample rates and buffer sizes. Start low on sample rates.
5. If none of these help, try troubleshooting by running ableton with the internal sound card to see if you get the same problem or close Live, open a youtube video and try to play it out of the Duet. Troubleshooting works best when you eliminate all but one variable. Good luck!

watermelon

Post by watermelon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:02 am

Can you try and use another USB cable instead of the one Apogee supplied you? Even if it works with your old laptop, see if that makes a difference.