Tracn Group vs Instrument Group

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fleshbits

Tracn Group vs Instrument Group

Post by Fleshbits » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Is there any difference when grouping tracks in Live vs creating an instrument group? Why would you use one vs the other?

I have a SuperSaw consisting of one synth instance panned middle, one synth instrument panned more left with an envelope modulating panning, and another synth instance panned more right with an envelope modulating the panning. It seems to sound better as 3 separate tracks. If I create an instrument group some of that delay effect from the panning seems to get lost. If I group the tracks it seems to retain its sound. I am not sure why this is. Anyone have insight to this phenomenon?

TenSquare

Re: Tracn Group vs Instrument Group

Post by TenSquare » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:57 am

Hello Fleshbits,

I'm quite perplexed about the fact it could sound better in separate tracks, compared to the instruments grouping method.

What I've noticed is that my CPU load increases a lot when I group instruments and their audio/MIDI effects in an Instrument Rack. The CPU load is much lower if I do the same things in separated tracks. I'm on an ASUS laptop N750JV with Windows 7, i7 Haswell processor and 16 GB of RAM.

It seems that Ableton Live uses the multicore aspect of ours processors preferably when devices (instruments, audio effects, MIDI effects, VST/AU plugins) are spread into separated tracks. In my own opinion, it's very unefficient because I think that grouping devices using Instrument Racks is just clearer for a project. I prefer to have one track for the bass (that maybe contains 3 synths, 1 sampler and 20 effects), one for the drums, etc.

I hope this problem will be fixed soon. I guess it's not an easy one to solve, because it requires to program things in a multithreaded and multicored environment. But Ableton's Team has its Computer Science Gurus, so let's wait and see! :P

xbitz

Re: Tracn Group vs Instrument Group

Post by xbitz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 am

yepp, "Live cannot use multiple CPU cores to process a single track or signal path." - https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/hig ... -machines/