Most important question of our time

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Favorite documentary narrator

Morgan Freeman
38%
Mike Rowe
6%
56%

Total votes: 16

beats me

Most important question of our time

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:40 am

8O

* = some guy with a British accent people from the UK and Australia are going to claim is the best simply because he has been doing it for the last 700 years.

TomViolenz

Re: Most important question of our time

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:06 am

ehem, you are aware that there are documentaries in languages other than English, right?!

Otherwise Morgan Freemen is great in Through the Wormhole, I even sampled him for one of my tracks :-)

The Boy Holty

Post by The Boy Holty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

beats me wrote:* = some guy with a British accent people from the UK and Australia are going to claim is the best simply because he has been doing it for the last 700 years.
Do you mean David Attenborough? Yes he gets my vote but anyway I've no idea who Mike Rowe is.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 pm

This thread is unapologetically American with a tip of the hat to the British guy, David Attenborough apparently. :)

Mike Rowe was the host of Dirty Jobs and narrator of Deadliest Catch, How the Universe Works, and about a half dozen other documentary series nobody watches.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 pm

TomViolenz wrote:ehem, you are aware that there are documentaries in languages other than English, right?
those ones have subtitles.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:26 pm

I started watching The Raid 2 overdubbed in English and it’s almost unwatchable from the distraction of the voice actor not matching the actual actor. And I’m not talking lips not matching what is being said. I’m talking you know there is no way that voice would come out of that actor.

I think zero effort goes into foreign language overdubbing and they probably just pull the bilingual janitor out of the hallway and tell him to read the script.

cmcpress

Post by cmcpress » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Morgan freeman is classy, but American classy.

Most American documentaries, especially network ones, seem to be aimed at developmentally challenged people with child like mental ages.

Attenborough for the win.

Adam Curtis and Herzog tied in second place.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 pm

cmcpress wrote:
Most American documentaries, especially network ones, seem to be aimed at developmentally challenged people with child like mental ages
>cough<

The Thin Red Line
Brothers Keeper
The Control Room
Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple

if you're talking TV documentaries I agree, we have nothing on the BBC, but movie wise it's not a contest, there are great docs from everywhere really.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:49 pm

beats me wrote:I started watching The Raid 2 overdubbed in English and it’s almost unwatchable from the distraction of the voice actor not matching the actual actor. And I’m not talking lips not matching what is being said. I’m talking you know there is no way that voice would come out of that actor.

I think zero effort goes into foreign language overdubbing and they probably just pull the bilingual janitor out of the hallway and tell him to read the script.
It's the same with English dubbed into German. In movies it might be ok at times, but TV is just horrible.
And it's not just the voices either, it's also how it's translated. Example: In Geman we still have the formal you (think: your boss) in addition to the informal one (think: a friend). Somehow much of TV dubbing translates a clearly informal you (lets say partners in a police series) to the formal one. (though in actual German series this is not done, as it becomes quite outdated in society to talk like this anymore). This totally fucks up the buddy/buddy atmosphere the two might have. And the mistakes go on and on, its really grating! Luckily the internet exists so I find the shows in English :mrgreen:

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 am

And I thought this thread is going to be another "Over or Under?" debate... interesting turn of events...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Patrick Stewart? Hello!!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:46 pm

James Earl Jones