simple audio editor

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
raapie

simple audio editor

Post by raapie » Mon May 12, 2003 10:10 pm

it would be nice to trim a recorded file, because in most cases you want to delete the start and end (I always start recording and then start playing guitar or singing). it would be cool if a user could press the enter-key in the Sample Display. doing so a maximised window is shown and you can select 'trim'...

man that would be cool ;-)
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

dss

Post by dss » Wed May 14, 2003 7:43 pm

agreed, an internal editor would rock!

nothing fancy, simple for normalizing, trimming loops and copy and pasting bits to make the loop a little longer...

dss

yep

Post by Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 4:34 pm

I'll third that.

I always edit before pulling clips into Live but many times more needs to be done, like adding silence at the end of a sample to get the loop points right. It doesn't help that when I've used the launch editor button (whatever it's called) things tend to get wiggy. If this feature worked better it wouldn't be such an issue. Spark ME is a great free editor. Perhaps Ableton could pick a simple editor for each platform to bundle, then they could optimise the edit feature to specific apps.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu May 15, 2003 10:45 pm

i'm prolly wrong 'cause i always lose wagers, but i'd be willing to bet that ableton has it in their sights to be introduced in one of the next couple of versions. it just makes more sense. being able to(n) edit samples in your editor of choice is keen and all, but it would be quicker if we had the option to use a built in editor with a few essesntials. i'm all for more audio features, i just don't don't want any midi messing up this app...and with that last comment i'll just sit back and watch the hordes beat down my door.

k

Agnishvatta

Post by Agnishvatta » Fri May 16, 2003 4:04 pm

I would like to see this wave editor functionality integrated with various view options:

1. Allow full editing in the arrange view.

2. Allow full editing in the sample display view.

3. Allow the edit button to launch an internal wave editor.

This way there would never be a need to "have" to stop audio for editing and the user could choose his/her prefered method.

I don't think it has to be simple. It would be great if it provided all typical functions and processing. Including support for standard loop points (assuming that Live will be able to utilize them), processing tools like reverse and so on.... If you think about it, Live already has most of the tools, so they're almost there. We've also already been assured that enhanced editing is in Live's future. I think it will be great.

Post by Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 4:43 pm

If this is implemented there should be some sort of warning that comes up telling you "you have such and such clip that references this audio sample. are you sure you want to save changes?" destructive editing is new territory for Live.

raapie

no problem

Post by raapie » Fri May 16, 2003 8:21 pm

if you make self contained copys warning show up as well. editing in live... mmm, YES! I want ;-)
Marco Raaphorst

Agnishvatta

Post by Agnishvatta » Sat May 17, 2003 2:19 am

destructive editing is new territory for Live.
I have to say, wave editing does not necessarily mean destructive editing. It would be similar to the wave editor in Cubase SX. Internal wave editors can use the undo function of the host, as well as support non-destructive functions such as trimming. Now if you want to apply the settings, then there should be an apply button, but you will still be able to use the undo function.

One thing you should know is that internal wave editors do not function or have the same limitations as launching an external wave editor from inside the sequencer.

raapie

trimming

Post by raapie » Sat May 17, 2003 6:47 am

trimming destructively would be fine in my opinion. I want to cut-off the unneeded parts for ever ;-)

I mainly need trimming when I am recording audio in, which might sound logical 8)
Marco Raaphorst

Agnishvatta

Post by Agnishvatta » Sat May 17, 2003 9:17 am

trimming destructively would be fine in my opinion. I want to cut-off the unneeded parts for ever
Same here, but you don't want Live to render the clip each time you trim part of the wave automatically do you? True distructive editing would each change made to the audio file, which can be unnecessarily time consuming. Non-destructive editing doesn't just mean that we can undo the changes, it also means that we can here the changes for the actual file is re-rendered. I'm we were actually thinking the same thing though.

Sonar has the apply trimming feature, which always works for me. Live already has non-destrucive trimming, so simply being able to apply it would make it a destructive edit.

raapie

I agree

Post by raapie » Sat May 17, 2003 5:46 pm

sounds like a plan 8) Ableton... when?

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat May 17, 2003 6:51 pm

How about this novel idea:

-- an indefinite freeze on feature creep
-- dedicated coders working on fixing numerous performance, feature and stability problems

:roll: :roll: :roll:

-Alex

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Sun May 18, 2003 12:24 pm

I used to think I'd need an wave editor in LIVE, I don't think so anymore. BTW it would bring up more confusion than it would save time for switching.

But what I would really like to see is an option to trim clips in a self-contained set. For me this would fulfill my need for certain convenience in the working process, and more important, since it would be in self-contained sets only, it wouldn't interfere with anlysis-logic of LIVE (well, actually it would, but only as far as you'd have to shift sample counting in the asd-file according to the trimming processed).

Finally, if you take inaccount what Alex wrote here with one crying eye, it should be more easy to do, and leave the abletons (why do I always think of monks if I write down this name?) time to fix some *real* problems.

Just opened a thread therefore...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3512
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Agnishvatta

Post by Agnishvatta » Mon May 19, 2003 3:52 am

I used to think I'd need an wave editor in LIVE, I don't think so anymore. BTW it would bring up more confusion than it would save time for switching.
How could it possibly bring up more confusion than save time? Not only does Live already have some basic editing functions in the arrange view, but it also has an edit button in the clip view that launches an external wave editor. If that edit button could be used to launch an internal wave editor or if one could perform editing task in the clip view, arrange or by an internal wave editor, then how can that possibly be a bad thing? Since they've already said they were going to enhance the editing features, I think it's safe to assume that time is or has already been put into this or something similar.