OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
silicon1138

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by silicon1138 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 am

I should have also mentioned that i get crashes EVERY time i do a Save As and try to scroll up and down in the open Finder window.
It's ok if you simply hit OK to then save but scrolling = crash.
Carl Finlow aka - Random Factor / Voice Stealer / Silicon Scally / Il.Ek.Tro / Scarletron...
OSX 10.13, Quad Core Mac Mini, Live 10 Suite.

Apoch8000

Post by Apoch8000 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Well, I'm able to run Ableton smoothly in OSX 10.10 dev preview 5. My VST's seem to work properly and I have no issues with crashes and such. The only annoying thing at this point is that there's no way to browse through sample folders and such using Ableton's file browser.

Anyone has found a work around for this?

silicon1138

Post by silicon1138 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:21 pm

I spent 48 hours trying to get Live and OSX 10 to work, but could not get Live's browser to work correctly.
Decided to revert back to Mavericks on my macbook air. I had NO backup of my Air - what to do...I thought i was going to have to wipe and completely reinstall. Manually copied over important stuff to an external first. Yosemite would not let me download Mavericks from the Apple store because it was 'not as recent'....hmmm. In the end i discovered if you reboot and hold alt/cmd/r you get into Internet Recovery. It said it was going to download Mountain Lion, so i left it downloading. When that was finished it asked me to restart and proceed with the OS recovery, so i did. 45 minutes later and BOOM as Steve used to say. Not only had it reverted to mountain lion, but ALL of my stuff was still there and working perfectly! I was then able to grab Mavericks again, updated that, and here i am, back to normal.
Carl Finlow aka - Random Factor / Voice Stealer / Silicon Scally / Il.Ek.Tro / Scarletron...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 pm

[rry] wrote:Hi All,

We do not recommend updating to Yosemite just yet. Our developers are working to ensure compatibility for the time of release, but as you can see from the reports here, there are things that need to be addressed from both sides.

Thanks for your understanding.
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/yos ... patibilty/

Best,

Rory

Ableton Support

watermelon

Post by watermelon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 pm

silicon1138 wrote:I spent 48 hours trying to get Live and OSX 10 to work, but could not get Live's browser to work correctly.
Decided to revert back to Mavericks on my macbook air. I had NO backup of my Air - what to do...I thought i was going to have to wipe and completely reinstall. Manually copied over important stuff to an external first. Yosemite would not let me download Mavericks from the Apple store because it was 'not as recent'....hmmm. In the end i discovered if you reboot and hold alt/cmd/r you get into Internet Recovery. It said it was going to download Mountain Lion, so i left it downloading. When that was finished it asked me to restart and proceed with the OS recovery, so i did. 45 minutes later and BOOM as Steve used to say. Not only had it reverted to mountain lion, but ALL of my stuff was still there and working perfectly! I was then able to grab Mavericks again, updated that, and here i am, back to normal.
I had to do the same thing. Like others, I was curious about Yosemite Beta. Next time I will wait for the official release.

splitsides

Post by splitsides » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 pm

I had some major issues using 9.1.4 on Yosemite, and all but gave up until I started paying attention to the info in the crash logs! I lost count of the number of times I reinstalled Ableton, cleared preferences, files.db and receipts.
If anyone is still having problems even loading Ableton, then here's a few tips:
- At the moment, jBridge isn't supported. I emailed Joao, who kindly responded that he aims to have compatibility for the general public release.
- Remove (and obviously keep a backup) of any AU's and VST's that are causing crashes.

I know this is probably obvious stuff, but once I removed all jBridge and suspect AUs / VSTs, and cleared the aforementioned prefs etc, Ableton loaded fine. To date, I'm still experiencing the same issues as some other users - most folders won't populate (Instruments, Audio and MIDI effects, User Library), however I can reach the stock stuff vía 'Packs'.

Looking forward to these bugs being ironed out!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:23 pm

H20nly wrote:
[rry] wrote:Hi All,

We do not recommend updating to Yosemite just yet. Our developers are working to ensure compatibility for the time of release, but as you can see from the reports here, there are things that need to be addressed from both sides.

Thanks for your understanding.
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/yos ... patibilty/

Best,

Rory

Ableton Support

I like how this is being ignored.

But on the flip side we would be missing out on some epic failure lolz if people actually followed informed advice.

silicon1138

Post by silicon1138 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:37 pm

It's simply the pioneering spirit that is innate in some humans.
It is beta testing after all - get those bugs out in the open.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:30 am

H20nly shouldn't quote that staff's post so that dev could collect more crash reports.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:43 pm

^ yeah, but then they can stick them in the folder labeled "solved" immediately. at this rate, they'll all get raises for having high rates of resolution.

keep up the good work boys! don't let a little thing like a beta designation on an operating system stop you from proving that software that claims not to work in fact... does not work.

I think there's some Linux GUIs that could use a good Live test if you're bored and/or lonely this weekend.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:25 am

Hello all,

We are doing 10.10 integration tests in our beta forums https://ableton.centercode.com to and to make sure this reaches development, please submit bug reports there.

I can give you a little heads up where we currently stand with 10.10 test if you are reluctant to join the beta forums.

So far we have found following problems:
- Indexer not working, meaning your browser will be empty and adding new folders will only display the folder, not the items. [This is fixed already in an upcoming beta which is internal test]
- Not possible to route audio to physical outputs of some, not all hardware [This is fixed already in an upcoming beta which is internal test]
- We have found general problems using 32 bit plugins, you will only see a white gui, or the gui will be garbled and cant be closed. [This is on the side of plugin manufacturers and we have already communicated this to them - its due to a use of outdated boost and juice libraries for compiling the plugins (ps, also reproduced in other 32 bit hosts, so we are sure this resides on the third party side)]. 64 but plugins work as expected.

Here is a few topics where we could use your help:
- Do you have problems loading sets containing MAX objects that contain MXJ objects?
- Do you experience crashes when setting up midi hardware, Bluetooth, wireless in particular?.
- Anything else not on our radar?

Please do submit bugreports and mark them with 10.10 in the header if you find issues not mentioned here. And please make sure you have downloaded the latest developer seed of 10.10 before submitting any reports.

Best,
Mads

dancegruv

Post by dancegruv » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:08 pm

No issues reported here. Logic running solid.

Leax

Post by Leax » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:01 pm

Thanks Mads, it's great to see you working hard on it !
I might try again the Yosemite beta then :)

danielbiltmore

Post by danielbiltmore » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 am

Yosemite beta 2 came out today, wonder if that plays nicer with ableton! I'd give it a shot but I think I'm over spending my nights doing HD restores...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:27 pm

antarktika wrote:They haven't released a formal statement on compatibility yet, and I for one am utterly dismayed by Ableton's slow response to this, why are they not ready?
IMHO it's because Apple sucks at giving software developers what they need in time, especially audio software developers. It would sem you have absolutely NO idea what an undertaking it is to support OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 or 10.9 with Live 8 or Live 9. That's 5 major versions of the greatest OS on earth. And Ableton supports them with 2 major versions of real time audio processing applications 32bit and 64bit and with plug-ins as well. That's not something you just do just like that.

I think Ableton is doing a great job with Live 9. Everything is moving in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I make music. I'm happy.
Make some music!