waves soundgrid server

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stoersignal

waves soundgrid server

Post by stoersignal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:36 am

i just stumbled over the new waves soundgrid studio system, but with all the info i found it isn`t clear for me if i can use just one of these DSP servers to offload processing power?
it sounds really interesting as this system is open for 3rd party developers (brainworx and SPL at the moment).
i`m using a apogee symphony with live and sometimes logic.
anybody who can bring some light into this for me?

stoersignal

Re: waves soundgrid server

Post by stoersignal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:59 pm

I wonder if i understand something completely wrong about what this is and in Reality this is complete bullshit. Because otherwise if this is what it looks to me, there would be lots of Talk about it on the web and every blog would Write about it.
Is this not what 1000s of musicians and Producers were waiting for? The same as the UAD system but open for 3rd parties and Even much much more? I don't get it! It must be that there is no german Info about it and my english is just too bad. Normally it's good enough but now that's really the only explanation i have

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:25 pm

I saw a brief write up of it & had the same questions as you. I totally agree it would be amazing to be able to offload some processing tasks to a separate box - that is one of the things I love about my Virus Snow, I can squeeze 4 channels of quite complicated synthesis out of it without even touching my computer's CPU. I haven't had a chance to investigate further though.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:42 pm

I found this site, it seems to explain what you want to know. It seems to me the answer to your question is: Yes!
http://www.waves.com/soundgrid-studio-system

The devices that enable this are definitely on the spendy side though. Sometimes more than just getting a beefier computer would cost you!

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:04 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I found this site, it seems to explain what you want to know. It seems to me the answer to your question is: Yes!
http://www.waves.com/soundgrid-studio-system

The devices that enable this are definitely on the spendy side though. Sometimes more than just getting a beefier computer would cost you!
thx for the link!
my workstation is pretty good (i7-3770K at 3.5Ghz,32GB Ram, 2 SSDs, apogee symphony, hackintosh) but there are limits.
I`m using a lot of hungry softsynths (diva, omnisphere and the like), big sample libraries and many hungry audioFX (waves etc.) and sometimes after all that i record vocals or something and for that the buffersize should be as low as possible
i know i can freeze and bounce and all this but if there is the possibility to make that all redundant i am willing to spend quite a bit money for that.
and i can imagine (and want to believe) that other developers like u-he or native instruments jump on board as this is open for all of them.
as this is the first of this kind chances that this will happens aren`t that bad (hopefully)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:26 pm

It might well be that the prices are good for what it is, I have no idea as I'm not really in the market for UAD cards and things like this (a little out of my financial league). The only thing I saw was that the lowest price for a device they offerend was 2000 USD.
These devices always also seem to offer other functionality on top, like audio interface with many IN/Outs. But I don't know how good they are compared to other interfaces in the same price range.

Also what should be considered, I guess, is how much actual processing power you get in these. (what kind of chips and how much memory etc.).
I guess if they would bundle a bunch of their plug-ins at these prices, the value proposition would be much better for people like me :mrgreen: (I doubt that's the case though :( )

So it may be a totaly awesome new product, but I know that I wont be a customer anytime soon.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:50 pm

TomViolenz wrote:It might well be that the prices are good for what it is, I have no idea as I'm not really in the market for UAD cards and things like this (a little out of my financial league). The only thing I saw was that the lowest price for a device they offerend was 2000 USD.
These devices always also seem to offer other functionality on top, like audio interface with many IN/Outs. But I don't know how good they are compared to other interfaces in the same price range.

Also what should be considered, I guess, is how much actual processing power you get in these. (what kind of chips and how much memory etc.).
I guess if they would bundle a bunch of their plug-ins at these prices, the value proposition would be much better for people like me :mrgreen: (I doubt that's the case though :( )

So it may be a totaly awesome new product, but I know that I wont be a customer anytime soon.
They offer just dsp processing servers too. They start at 700 and (if i remember correctly without looking again) go up to 2000. the last one has a i7 cpu with 8 gb ram. The one for 1400 (which i am interested in) has just 4gb , but i don't know which cpu. But there is a comparison chart and with the mid-range unit you can already use hundreds of SSL E channel strips. So it looks like they are pretty powerful and fast (if you look at the latency..... wOWwww)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:23 pm

stoersignal wrote:
They offer just dsp processing servers too. They start at 700 and (if i remember correctly without looking again) go up to 2000. the last one has a i7 cpu with 8 gb ram. The one for 1400 (which i am interested in) has just 4gb , but i don't know which cpu. But there is a comparison chart and with the mid-range unit you can already use hundreds of SSL E channel strips. So it looks like they are pretty powerful and fast (if you look at the latency..... wOWwww)
I know that the computer has to also run the OS and all, but if they basically use the same hardware, why is the amount of stuff they can run so much more?! A quad core i7 for 1400 doesn't sound sooo bad though 8)
What's the form factor, can you still lugg it to gigs, like a laptop, or is it a big desktop?!