Push Pong

Discuss Push with other users.
Mark Towers

Push Pong

Post by Mark Towers » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Hi there, I've made a special little generative sequencer especially for Push, will be releasing the device soon, hopefully this week.

You will be able to use it with any instruments you like :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocm98EV ... 2UXbuvEtgw

Fossiel

Re: Push Pong

Post by Fossiel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:14 am

Nice for the moments of 0 inspiration.

Also extremely satisfying just to look at :D 8)

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:59 pm

very nice! reminds me of this thing: http://www.earslap.com/page/otomata.html

you can get pretty complex patterns going if you set the initial conditions right, like... a group of notes getting 'stuck' in a corner, periodically broken up by another 1 or 2.

what you have is great, but can you set the note's initial direction? since push only has 8 pads (vs 9 with otomata) going in any direction and the note is being triggered when it hits the wall, i think this would work well against funkier time signatures.

Mark Towers

Post by Mark Towers » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Hey @slicedbread, yes Otomata was kind of the inspiration for it, I did toy with the idea of doing something clever when the notes change direction to compensate for the missing step (8 rather than 9) but felt it would detract from the beauty of the ping pong effect, I agree it could work well if users are doing some alternative time signature stuff, I have however made a 'Live only' version too which has a 9x9 grid, this will come with Push Pong. And yes, you can set the initial direction of each cell, using the arrow buttons on Push, have also included some other nice features; individual rate per cell/note, individual velocity and note length, you will be able to control the chance of any or all cells actually bouncing off each other, and you will be able to choose what notes are generated globally, so you could program in a scale of your choice (or just use Live's scale effect)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:04 am

Will this take over the User mode?

If so, then too bad, but that is already taken by PXT Live :(

Mark Towers

Post by Mark Towers » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:34 am

Hi @TomViolenz, no it doesn't take over user mode, I too use PXT, it's awesome. It temporarily takes over Push, only when that track is selected, and if in note mode, everything else works as normal i.e. switching to session mode, other tracks etc.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

Hey Mark. I downloaded this and it works like a dream.

Thank you for sharing such a great tool!

It is fun going from channel to channel, seeing different kinds of bouncing LEDs haha

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

really nice, thx 4 sharing. may u can show us the m4l code?

braduro

Post by braduro » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Brilliant device-and plenty to play with. Why aren't more people creating devices that can be engaged/disengaged and with remote output no less? Same goes for mapping a parameter for take-over, like on an oscillator or envelope. Always appreciate the added design when it can be overridden with manual control...

Mark Towers

Post by Mark Towers » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:09 pm

@Timbeaux the code/patching is all there, not locked away or anything like that... go for it, I would love to see some remixes of it :D

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Brilliant 8)

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Been playing with it a bit. Really cool stuff.

Good job and thanks!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Mark - thanks for the fun device for when one is idle or seeking inspiration, or just plain goofing around. I especially like it with Scale, Velocity and Arpeggiator. I think I will now immediately make a rack preset with Push Pong inside and the complete host of midi effects along with it.

Regarding your ATTENTION notice in the manual - you say you need to turn Push off to restore regular functionality. So far, I simply turn Pong off on Push and the normal Note mode comes back. Same if I delete Pong. It seems I don't have to turn Push off/on then?

Cheers

EDIT: Quite cool with percussive instruments, like Collision, or any percussive sounds made in a VST, like Zebra, and the arpeggiator (on hold) +velocity...you can stumble across some very cool rhythms. I especially like tribal percussion sounds using this method.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Could you post a link to the device, I think I would like to try it out :-)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:22 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Could you post a link to the device, I think I would like to try it out :-)
http://marktowers.net/2014/08/20/push-pong/