Good digital audio editor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slicedbread

Re: Good digital audio editor?

Post by slicedbread » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 pm

a copy of soundforge le came free with my sony pcm-m10 and it does everything i've needed to do with it.

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Wavelab fan here; but I have the full version 7, which is several hundred dollars US (at least). Wavelab's layout is also not the most intuitive. But if you ever need a good mastering software product for making industry standard CDs (yeah I know; "what's a CD?"), there you have it. Definitely you should have a look at Wavelab Elements, though.
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:27 pm

It's funny, people (myself included in the past!) often complain about audio editors in the following manner:

1. the free ones suck and won't work for my needs!

2. the 'big' ones cost too much and do more than I need them to do! I won't use all that!

Well, I went through this for a loong time and eventually I just realize it's absolutely worth it to pay the extra dough and get a 'real' audio editor, because the free ones really do suck, and once you discover the additional functionality of having a great audio editor, you might actually start making use of it.

My choice (mac) is absolutely Adobe Audition. I tried a bunch of stuff, too. Triumph is inscrutable and weird and removed some core functionality from Wave Editor in a manner that I'll never forgive them for; Sound Forge was basically a full-priced program featuring the functionality of the free-level software: e.g. total crap, IMO. there are some other mid-price ones (forgetting the name of one in particular right now, but it's UI looks like logic and it has a funny name...) but they always fell short, usually in terms of straight up workflow functionality, navigation, etc.

Audition does everything I need it to do, including key features like the ability to make a selection, right click, then paste the selection to a new file. This is -huge- when you want to 'sample' from movies / large audio files, and it's stunning how many editors lack this kind of functionality. Audition also has a ton of useful FX on board, and I think Adobe's overall browser system is very useful (and totally user-configurable, too).
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:30 pm

Adobe audition 3. I quickly can get what I want from a sample out of it.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:24 pm

mholloway wrote: Audition does everything I need it to do, including key features like the ability to make a selection, right click, then paste the selection to a new file. This is -huge- when you want to 'sample' from movies / large audio files, and it's stunning how many editors lack this kind of functionality.
Autition sounds great, but this is drag and drop in DSP Quattro, can't speak for other audio editors but it's there in DSPQ.
Agreed in it being almost a critical thing in using found sounds for sure.

I'm pretty happy in DSPQ, though Audition and "Triumph" <-- bad name change, would get a serious look at if DSPQ ever let me down.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:15 am

by the by.........what is this "subscription" stuff and what does it mean for someone who just wants to clean up some audio? (nothing major)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:06 pm

If iZotope RX 4 has some workflow improvements like individual key commands for fades then I will use it full time for editing from there on out.
Unsound Designer

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Soundforge Studio
Goldwave

These are budget ones.

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:47 am

eyeknow wrote:by the by.........what is this "subscription" stuff and what does it mean for someone who just wants to clean up some audio? (nothing major)
Yeah, Adobe is moving to subscription services for just about everything that's not free.

I don't like subscriptions because they slowly eat away at the monthly finances. For this reason, I now avoid all Adobe software. I'm even looking for a good non-Adobe replacement PDF reader for every Windows, Android, and iOS device I have.
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:41 am

Harmonic Progression wrote:
eyeknow wrote:by the by.........what is this "subscription" stuff and what does it mean for someone who just wants to clean up some audio? (nothing major)
Yeah, Adobe is moving to subscription services for just about everything that's not free.

I don't like subscriptions because they slowly eat away at the monthly finances. For this reason, I now avoid all Adobe software. I'm even looking for a good non-Adobe replacement PDF reader for every Windows, Android, and iOS device I have.
Interesting. To me what I thought of was 20 bucks a month, still for a year would equal the equivalent of "a host" but if it's tits, that could be worth it to me.

I record a lot of bass and guitar, and I really need a decent editor for the dumb things (like an accidental hit or noise) and these freeware options don't work well with live.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 am

^ i'd say try some demos before a subscription. i have no doubt Abobe's offering is good, but what you're describing is basic... definitely give Wavelab Elements a shot and/or Soundforge. audio editors aren't the have the latest version kind of application. if you find something that works for you... you can stick with it until O.S. and /or host application limitations force your hand.

my .02

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Audition looks great but I don't have the bucks. And my needs are basic.... ocen would be great if I could get the scrolling to work in playback...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Does wavelabs elements need that elicenser key?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:08 pm

If you wanna stick with SF, it's only $80 right now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sound-f ... mpt=uo%3D4

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 pm

I've been using Steinberg Wavelab Elements 7 for quite a while and I love it. It's got great batch processing as well and it's nice to look at IMO.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /