M4L Stability (POLL)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.

M4l crashes randomly to desktop when either loading a device or changing parameter on device

M4l is stable for me & i use windows
21%
M4l is stable for me & i use osx
28%
M4l crashes as described & i use windows
23%
M4l crashes as described & i use osx
11%
M4L crashes but not as described above
18%

Total votes: 101

Rosko

M4L Stability (POLL)

Post by Rosko » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Apologies if this is not in the the right place but i'm not able to start a poll in the M4L forum. Following on from this post viewtopic.php?f=35&t=205402

We are trying to establish weather M4L has a common stability issue & if that is related to any other hardware of software we use. Please answer this if you use M4L devices in your project. (if you don't get crashes but also rarely use M4L devices its probably not helpful to enter poll due to the random nature of crashes)

For me M4l crashes randomly to desktop when either loading a device or changing parameter on device. I also suspect M4L causes crashes when loading a live set but I also realise that it is difficult to establish if it is definitely m4l causing this so i have left it out.
If it crashes in a different way then answer 'M4L crashes but not as described' & state how in comments with OS & any other useful info.

For everyone who enters it might be helpful to list the devices you use in the reply box although for me its whatever i use often but could still highlight more stable or less stable devices than others. Also please state x86 or 64 os version 86 or 64 live & max.
I will assume people who answer this have a stable DAW & have no other major issues with other software/hardware including Live itself & that everything is up to date.

Rosko

Re: M4L Stability (POLL)

Post by Rosko » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:24 pm

M4l crashes as described & i use windows

Win 7 64bit
running live 9.1.4 x86
Max 6.1.8 x86

crashing on various 3rd party M4L devices i do not use M4L essentials much.

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Win 7 64bit
9.1.4 64 bit

My crashes usually involve video, esp. Rokvid. Using the 32 bit version helps, but it's still shaky.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Win7 64bit
9.1.4 64bit

Convolution reverb always crashes either when loading or adjusting a parameter and i've had both occur with 3rd party devices, the most recent point blank riser which worked without issue in one project with lots of tweaking but caused a CTD immediately upon load yesterday.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:20 pm

M4l is somewhat stable for me. (Not as stable as Live).

Main thing is getting occasional crashes on a few devices.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:31 pm

I do not use that many M4L devices, but it has been quite stable for me.
I've had most crashes when Convolution Reverb Pro is used in a live set and I save and then later load that set.
Other problems were mostly from old 3rd party M4L devices that had been released *before* Live9.
So they had been created using old M4L and Max versions.

Win7 64bit
Live9.1.3 64bit

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:41 pm

For me, the one that crashes consistently is convolution reverb (either)

Also, in my case it's primarily on a return track that this happens.

However, since updating to 6.1.8 this hasn't been as easy to reproduce. There was nothing in the release notes to indicate this was fixed. Troubleshooting....not an exact science :x

See my specs below.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:30 am

I dont use it more or less at all...When you use Max for Live, weird shit goes on in your project...like gremlins or something. If i do ever use it, I bounce the track w the mfl device then delete any instances of mfl devices from my set and move on...

Mike

AxfromMuc

Post by AxfromMuc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:08 am

Win 7 64bit
9.1.4 64 bit

I am not using M4L very often because of its stability

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:11 am

Win 7 64bit sp1
At this date of posting, latest official Ableton x64 and Max x64

Max devices crashes Live randomly on random occasions totally i mean totally random. Even devices which comes shipped with Ableton itself.

Example: i load Ableton Max step sequuencer - my Ableton crashes. I load Ableton again and can load 20 step sequencers with no problem. Can work three days without any problem then sudden crashes again. Sometimes i have two or three crashes in the same day. Totally not related to anything??I bought Liquidrhytm plugin which is working in connection with MAx4 live. I had to sold it because it worked totally weird, again weird crashes all over the places. Sometimes working sometimes not. Tried reinstalling OS from scratch (lost almost whole day to set up everything) i am having same result. Tried it on notebook i am having same result.

I have NI Komplete ultimate, u-he plugins, UAD, Acustica Nebula and dozen of others plus various hardware. None of the mentioned plugins from mentioned vendors crashes Ableton. None. I only get crashes when loading Max devices. Occasionally i am using Cubase 7.5 with mentioned 3rd party plugins, all works fine and stable. I want to point out that even in other application i have totally stable working environment so i am assuming my system is configured right. Only crashing with Ableton and Max combination..

As far as i am concerned - Max 4 live is to blame. Because i have ton of other applications and 3rd party devices and only problems i have with Max. It can't be random coincidence that i was magically able to set up every 3rd party plugin to work flawlessly on my system yet for some weird reason i wrongly installed max 4 live and it is randomly crashing on me.

Because of Max crashing i can't and won't use it on production level/pipeline because i can not afford loosing time on projects that crashes. Therefore very un professional application for me.

Yes i've already sent numerous crash logs but i am under impression that these are not investigated in detailed manner..i am assuming that Abe support are getting hundreds of these crash logs and they can't inspect each and every one..

Hopefully they will see this thread..

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Latest windows and Live. 64

No crashes so far.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Rosko, you said you're not able to determine what makes M4L crash on your setup. Did you send a status report to crashes@ableton.com, or a crash report ? They should be able to see where the crash takes place and maybe help you.

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Rosko, you said you're not able to determine what makes M4L crash on your setup. Did you send a status report to crashes@ableton.com, or a crash report ? They should be able to see where the crash takes place and maybe help you.
I did(I have absolutely sameish issues as him)..i think at least 20 times..Not a single response so far..

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Rosko, you said you're not able to determine what makes M4L crash on your setup. Did you send a status report to crashes@ableton.com, or a crash report ? They should be able to see where the crash takes place and maybe help you.

I'll start asking for a response, i tend to just send them.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:04 pm

OK regarding convolution reverb. I tried it & i could not get it to load at all just crashes every time. I remember i have tried this plug before & it has worked so i try & load an earlier version of live & its now working, not a single crash so far. In fact no crashes of any max device so far. I will test as much as i can using as many max devices as possible over the next week.