DJ mix warping problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NoSonic822

DJ mix warping problems

Post by NoSonic822 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:42 am

I'm trying to do some dj mixing in ableton and i keep having to change the warp mode to make the song play prpoerly, like it will stay on beat and warp properly, if i have the clips on beat mode, but this creates these glitches, quantization errors in the songs.....so then I switch to tones and the errors go away, but then the track speed goes faster, so what do I do here....in the preferences, loop/warp short samples, I have it set to warp one shot, this is the problem maybe? Autowarp long samples is turned on, and my default warp mode is set to beats....
also, i have placed warp markers at the start of the first downbeat of each song...so the starts line up proper, but live is placing all these bad markers everywhere, and its cutting out the audio

help guys/. All I want is for all my clips to be at the same tempo, and that the songs are not glitchy and broken up. ie. they should sound how I recorded them of course. not misssing bits

and btw im mixing in session view.

snakedogman

Re: DJ mix warping problems

Post by snakedogman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:54 pm

for DJ mixing either use repitch (like a real turntable) or complex modes (will keep the pitch but introduce some distortion). The other modes are not suitable for whole track warping.
Disable auto warping, you usually only need one warp marker at the start of the song, esp if it's something electronic (ie it has a steady tempo).

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Turn off autowarp. Place one marker before the first solid beat of your tune. Go later in the track, find a transient arrow, click and hold the transient, and drag the relevant beat (transient position doesn't matter) where it should be without placing another marker. You only need one marker. Work this down to the end of the track if need be until it looks right. Watch the BPM to get an indicator of if you are on the right track.

Use 'Repitch' mode for best sound quality, but it will pitch up/down if you change tempo. Use 'Complex' mode if you need to change tempo and maintain pitch, but the bass definition and sound quality will degenerate a bit.

These are just simple guidelines, once you get the hang of it then you can start to focus more on personal technique and being clean and consistent with your warping.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:38 am

Call me crazy, but I never put faith in only one marker. I usually have two or three on a clean track. But as you account more and more for drift (analog, midi timecode, 80's, ripped from vinyl), more markers might get added.

Also, I sometimes use beats mode if the pads/bass are forgiving, and it has barely any swing. I just never use Transient beats mode. I choose 8ths or 16ths depending on the feeling of the divisions of the actual track.

Otherwise I guess these days complex and complex pro don't really hurt my CPU so badly, so I use those. Actually, right now my new clips in Live are defaulted to Complex... haha

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:15 am

ok, thanks for the tips gents...it' seems to be workable now, what im doing is adding a transient marker, locked in after the 1rst 16 and32 bars, and then locking in another one before the last 16 and 32 bars....and it's on complex pro...seems to be working, so 4 locked in markers each song....this way every transition is perfectly aligned
yur2die4 wrote:Call me crazy, but I never put faith in only one marker. I usually have two or three on a clean track. But as you account more and more for drift (analog, midi timecode, 80's, ripped from vinyl), more markers might get added.

Also, I sometimes use beats mode if the pads/bass are forgiving, and it has barely any swing. I just never use Transient beats mode. I choose 8ths or 16ths depending on the feeling of the divisions of the actual track.

Otherwise I guess these days complex and complex pro don't really hurt my CPU so badly, so I use those. Actually, right now my new clips in Live are defaulted to Complex... haha

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:59 pm

I used to place two markers, one near the beginning and near the end, but after a few years of doing it that way I now find one marker less work and less problematic overall. Either way, if it works it works. 8)

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Donnie wrote:I used to place two markers, one near the beginning and near the end, but after a few years of doing it that way I now find one marker less work and less problematic overall. Either way, if it works it works. 8)
lol yea, it's tough, i just did this mix, it took me all night, about 10 hours to get it lined up all properly, mixed at 134 bpm, but the tracks range from 128 bpm to 141 bpm......some transitions needed only 1 marker some needed like 4. stil thanks for help. it's way easier to just mix on virtual dj, but i hate using it, it hurts my eyes...this is a canned mix, i cant see how i will mix live in bableton, theres no way to nudge tracks quickjly to adjust in real time, except dragging waveforms,,,not working https://soundcloud.com/inversound/inver ... t-mix-0814

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:54 pm

That's one of the reasons I prefer to use the one marker method as much as possible, because if I need to warp on the fly its the easiest way to nudge without too many problems. As long as its 'close' I can drag the later transient while its playing without much issue. Moving a warp marker on the fly can cause the occasional unexpected result which I like to avoid. Typically though its best to warp everything ahead of time and it will take a bit of practice until you can warp on the fly while playing live.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:24 am

I like one in the middle at least.

I mean, I know that Most tracks are digitally perfect. But I've seen drift too many times to trust it.

So like. One on beat one. Then go down a third or half the track. I'll add another. And another threads the end.

Then I'll zoom in sometimes in spots between markers to see if it is right.

The most strategic place to add a marker is a spot where the beat is furthest off.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:28 pm

What I personally find is that if the first marker is where it needs to be, and a later transient is where it needs to be, anything in between is never off enough to matter. Not including vinyl recordings and live instrumentation of course. Or maybe if a track has a BPM change at some point.