HOW TO: Battery As Drum Rack For Push (With Multi-Out)

Discuss Push with other users.
jestermgee

HOW TO: Battery As Drum Rack For Push (With Multi-Out)

Post by jestermgee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:26 am

Through organizing my stuff this morning for use with Push I started creating some drum racks and was about to start havesting my Battery samples for use in drum racks when I thought it would be WAY better if I could just use the battery kits BUT use them with the Push drum interface and also have multiple channels out to mix elements separately. So here is a quick rundown of how to get all your battery kits in Live for use with Push (note this doesn't allow you to browse the battery patches, just play them easily using Push).

First, the setup of Battery to a drum rack is explained here:

https://www.ableton.com/answers/how-to- ... -in-live-9

This works for Battery 3 also as that is what I have with Komplete 8

That will allow you to place Battery inside a drum rack and now have the 16 pads triggering all the battery cells with the ability to scroll through the cell groups. Next, to create the Multi-Outs (if you would like to send different cells out to different tracks in Ableton):

- Create a new Audio Track and in the I/O settings, just set the "Audio From" to come from the Battery Drum Rack channel
- In the Audio From option set the channel to receive the audio from Battery (Such as 3/4)
- Set the MONITOR setting for the sub channets to IN
- Now all drum cells will transmit on the default 1/2 channel from the main track but if you select a cell and then use the OUTPUT option to set a new audio output it will rout to the new channels you created.
- Create as many output channels as you would like and then Group them together with your drum rack
- Place any compressor/global FX onto your group track and you now have a complete Battery multi-I/O kit. Save as a new device in your user library and call on it anytime.

Now you can use all your Battery content and track it just like an Ableton kit PLUS mix the elements as you would normally. This same process should also work for many other VST drum instruments or sample players.

stansharpe

Re: HOW TO: Battery As Drum Rack For Push (With Multi-Out)

Post by stansharpe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Any chance of an upload of the instrument rack mate?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Takes 2 minutes to setup. I am sure you could handle it. Would take me longer to upload and share.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi mate,
Do you know a way to scrool trough preset in battery while maintain this routing?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:56 am

I can't wait to try this later

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Worked fine except one thing. When selecting the snares and routing them to "3/4" the volume increased. I fear I've skipped a step and have a doubling. I'm using battery 4 btw, so maybe something with 4?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:44 am

*bookmark*

nice jester.... thanks for posting...
sorry i missed it the first time. glad for the bump that brought it back. then again, i got push after 2014 Xmas... so it didn't matter before. :P

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:23 am

eyeknow wrote:Worked fine except one thing. When selecting the snares and routing them to "3/4" the volume increased. I fear I've skipped a step and have a doubling. I'm using battery 4 btw, so maybe something with 4?
I haven't tried with Battery 4 but shouldn't be an issue I would think.

In regards to
"can you keep the mappings through presets..." no, you cannot.

The preset drum racks all have the pads just set to main output. What you "could" do is go through each preset and set them up and export as an instrument rack with output channel assignments. That is what I will start doing when I need a kit or have a boring day (which there are few).

An "issue" with making racks tho is that the only way to save all the track groupings is to save as a CLIP and for Push users guess what, push cannot browse and load clips. You can still save the Battery instrument with output assignments but then have to create the sub channels manually after that.

Personally since the process to create these sub channels is pretty simple I just load or build a kit using a single channel then when I get to the final stages of tweaking I start separating the drums and applying FX on the channels. Gets easier and more intuitive as you do it more.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:00 am

Your help is appreciated :)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:09 am

eyeknow wrote:Your help is appreciated :)
Always good to hear :)

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm

kinda necrobumping this, but as a battery 4 user i wonder whether battery 3 also bypasses its own master section (which i love) when using single outputs such as 1/2, 3/4...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:41 am

h3rtz wrote:kinda necrobumping this, but as a battery 4 user i wonder whether battery 3 also bypasses its own master section (which i love) when using single outputs such as 1/2, 3/4...
Yep

that's the way it is suppose to work.

Think of the Master output as channels 1/2 (stereo). That is where everything that is not on a discrete channel will appear. Once you set a sound to another channel it is unplugged from channel 1/2 to the new channel allowing discrete paths for different elements and effects.

GuidoPa

Post by GuidoPa » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi,

I can follow the six steps here: https://www.ableton.com/answers/how-to- ... -in-live-9

but then I'm lost. I don't understand how you after step 6 put in a pad a sound from battery?

greetz

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu May 21, 2015 2:55 pm

How well does Battery integrate into Ableton workflows?

I've never fully looked into Battery, as I felt it would just add another layer of complexity to my Live workflow.

Is it worth the hassle?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Citizen wrote:How well does Battery integrate into Ableton workflows?

I've never fully looked into Battery, as I felt it would just add another layer of complexity to my Live workflow.

Is it worth the hassle?
I like some of the samples, so have just put them into my own drum racks without Battery. I prefer Sampler to Battery. The method described by the OP is insufficient. I use a better method that keeps everything in one track. You simply put the plug-in, Battery in this case on its own pad, build external instruments on each drum pad that corresponds to a pad/chain on your Push. The External Instrument routes MIDI to Battery and audio back to the pad. Battery output settings must correspond of course.

The only solution to the limitation of 16 stereo outs (or 32 mono outs) in Battery AFAIK is to use multiple instances of Battery.
Make some music!