"Create WAV Version"...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Regrind

"Create WAV Version"...

Post by Regrind » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:56 am

When I make a WAV version of a track is it taking up more space on my drive or is the ASD file just a link file?
When I drag that WAV file into Abes, it that taking up more space?
I'm not low on room by any means, just want to keep things tidy.

I have The Ultimate Breaks & Beats Collection and am in the process of cropping all the parts that I find interesting. I know there are a fucktillionbajillion break packs out in the world and I know this is a mild waste of my time as I should probably be focussing on producing instead, but I'm in one of those transition bored phases. Also, there are a ton of great tracks that I have never heard before. Win win.
When I'm done I'll put the pack out for free download. Might need pointers on how that's done tho. Save it all as a Live Set or export as audio?

Thanks for any feedback.

J
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

BoddAH

Re: "Create WAV Version"...

Post by BoddAH » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Regrind wrote:When I make a WAV version of a track is it taking up more space on my drive or is the ASD file just a link file?
When I drag that WAV file into Abes, it that taking up more space?
I'm not low on room by any means, just want to keep things tidy.

I have The Ultimate Breaks & Beats Collection and am in the process of cropping all the parts that I find interesting.
Samples and audio files that you drag into a Live Project are indeed just referenced and not copied. So even a project referencing many large files won’t take up much space by itself. The only problem here is if you continue your work on another computer or move/erase a sound file by mistake on your computer. In this case Live will be unable to find the sound files and prompt you to search for them in the Manage Project screen.

If you want to safely be able to modify and delete whatever files you want on your computer or work on another computer without breaking your Live Projects, use the “Collect All And Save” function in the File Menu. This will copy all selected file types into the project folder and make it “self-contained”, so to speak.

mikb

Post by mikb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 pm

BoddAH wrote:
If you want to safely be able to modify and delete whatever files you want on your computer or work on another computer without breaking your Live Projects, use the “Collect All And Save” function in the File Menu. This will copy all selected file types into the project folder and make it “self-contained”, so to speak.
Is there something I missed or is it possible to do a “Collect All And Save” while ignoring native Ableton Live samples?
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:32 am

mikb wrote:
BoddAH wrote:
Is there something I missed or is it possible to do a “Collect All And Save” while ignoring native Ableton Live samples?
Yes, you have to check different boxes corresponding to what exactly you want to collect. Just uncheck Samples from Factory Packs (or something like that).

mikb

Post by mikb » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 am

BoddAH wrote:
MikB wrote: Is there something I missed or is it possible to do a “Collect All And Save” while ignoring native Ableton Live samples?
Yes, you have to check different boxes corresponding to what exactly you want to collect. Just uncheck Samples from Factory Packs (or something like that).
Got it! Thank you!

When I do this I'm usually pressed for time and just need to get it done. Will take the time to look over the next Collect All and Save that I do.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.