Livid DS1

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jekblad

Re: Livid DS1

Post by Jekblad » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:39 pm

beats me wrote:I didn’t know you work for Livid. 8O Nice one.

I have an unrelated question. I have one of the original Ohm controllers with the 6 X 6 grid and is low tech by today’s standards and it’s just collecting dust. Any thoughts on how I can respectively unload it? Do you guys have a museum I can donate it to?
PM'd
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

PremEye

Post by PremEye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 pm

The strength of the DS1 is definitely not in banking. It's like a souped up version of the UC33, great for live setups and templates where things are hard mapped. Knobs feel much better (to me) than encoders for certain situations, especially a live context. If you love encoders, check out our Code controller. We also released base with those touch strips which other companies are starting to get on board with as well, these controllers bank very well. A touch strip has a different feel than a knob of course... So it just depends on what you like.
First, thank you so much for coming on the forum and answering specific questions. It is very helpful!
I apologize for asking so many but I have been WAITING for this to come out with great anticipation.
I'm glad it is finally almost here...

I actually worked on a CNTRLR and I purchased a CODE v2. I really liked the Code but I actually sold it when I first saw the announcement of the DS1 last year. I REALLY did like the endless encoders of the CODE and it worked great for switching between banks. But I also liked the faders of the CNTRLR for mixing. I was hoping the DS1 would have been the perfect marriage of the two. I am not against the knobs of the DS1 but I am trying to wrap my mind around how to best function with these limitations. Your presence here answering everyone's question has been VERY helpful. Thank you! It is great to know your intention when designing these controllers...

Will the Livid script for the DS1 have different MODES you can switch through? Such as simple mixing with sends/panning, another mode to control devices or EQ, etc etc...
I have a PUSH and intend to use it with that. So I do not need a clip launcher, I am looking for a straight up mixing style for creating DUBS ITB....and controlling devices with many parameters....
I would love to see the wiki for the livid DS1 script...
Also, you say it would function best to hard map the controls...so the idea is to have the controller function differently depending on the set...if I am not mistaken, once you hard map a knob or fader it will function that way until you re-map it, yes?

Thanks again,
Prem

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:40 pm

Will the Livid script for the DS1 have different MODES you can switch through? Such as simple mixing with sends/panning, another mode to control devices or EQ, etc etc...
I have a PUSH and intend to use it with that. So I do not need a clip launcher, I am looking for a straight up mixing style for creating DUBS ITB....and controlling devices with many parameters....
It's going to be great to use DS1 along side another controller, I think that's the best way to do it. I can't speak to the exact details of the script but the last I heard is you'll be able to control the macro's of 8 tracks simultaneously. This is great for having a channel strip type plugin on your channel for eq/comp etc. I'm not sure what's planned for sends right now.
I would love to see the wiki for the livid DS1 script...
I will post when it's made available for sure!
Also, you say it would function best to hard map the controls...so the idea is to have the controller function differently depending on the set...if I am not mistaken, once you hard map a knob or fader it will function that way until you re-map it, yes?
I would have a template that I start from, so it's mapped the same way each set. Then I'd have different templates for live and studio use. For most users a template won't be necessary if they are using the script because it'll do the heavy lifting, but you can always manually map if you want to tweak something differently. And of course, third party scripts.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Any idea on pricing? I'm going to be in the market soon for a mixing controller to compliment my Push controller. Looks like it would site nicely as the depths are very close.
Last edited by Airyck on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

PremEye

Post by PremEye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:35 pm

I was just on the Livid site to order a DS1.
I was a little confused as there were 2 different options:
DS1 and DS1 powered by PureMagnetik; both for the same price $479.....
What is the difference?
Thanks,
Prem

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:39 pm

PremEye wrote:I was just on the Livid site to order a DS1.
What is the difference?
Thanks,
Prem
Oh thanks... I just tried to check the site and said the page had been moved when I hit buy.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

PremEye

Post by PremEye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm

PremEye wrote:I was just on the Livid site to order a DS1.
What is the difference?
Thanks,
Prem
I just ordered!
I think I figured it out. They are both the same price because of LIMITED TIME PRE-ORDER PRICE!
Thanks,
Prem

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm

What is the difference?
That's a limited time deal for pre-orders. No difference in the actual hardware just in the INCREDIBLE VALUE.

Dang it I'm too slow to hit submit every time. You nailed it though.

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:21 pm

yeah, I can see that. though it is a nice to have as you can use it for feedback of what type of control if you're dealing with multiple banks. I also use colour feedback to let people know which way they have to move knobs to hit the pickup point...

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Dang I really like that idea... stop hurting my heart.

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:50 pm

heh... i can't take all the credit, I've always used colour for feedback on the Gridlock HUD, but I think Darren was the first person to implement it on a control surface... I'll not mention which ;)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:19 am

To join in on a wish-list tip...

When I do a dub mix live, by the end of the song I have the desk bent seriously out of shape. I always wanted a desk that would tell you, visually, at a glance which knobs were not reset to 0 or were not in a null-state.

Ergo, I would love it if a knob's LED ring could go OFF or ON when moved from the zero position.

I could then literally see at a glance which knobs needed resetting to zero or default between songs.

It would be wonderful if there was a basic hardware connection from the knob position to the knob LEDS (ie not necessarily via MIDI send/return/feedback/software etc) so that when the knob sat at value 0 (full left) the ring LED is on, and when the knob is anywhere in the 1-127 rotation the LED goes out. (or the inverse...) With an option to turn this behaviour off or on in preferences, too please... of course you could argue the use-cases of this till the cows come home...

(ducks head...) :D

Really looking forward to this. Got any final production model photos? :)
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

boboter

Post by boboter » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:58 am

Hey, do the knobs have center detent or a kind of visual feedback for reaching the exact middle position?
Thanks.
jogging house .... synths, samples, nostalgia & delay.
soundcloud . bandcamp . facebook . vimeo . tumblr

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:29 pm

@Pitchblack, do you have any kind of screen/laptop attached to the desks, or are they just standalone?

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Ergo, I would love it if a knob's LED ring could go OFF or ON when moved from the zero position.
I could then literally see at a glance which knobs needed resetting to zero or default between songs.
Hi paddy! Forgive me, but wouldn't looking at the knobs tell you at a glance exactly where the knobs are? :)
I need to check on tuesday if you can turn the lights on and off via midi or remote script, you might be able to implement it on your own through software.
Hey, do the knobs have center detent or a kind of visual feedback for reaching the exact middle position?
I don't believe there is a detent. Often DJ's want detents, but producers controlling racks don't. This is a generalization but you see what I'm saying... We hope the non detent will be more universal.

So concerning feedback, our goal was that the old school method of "it is where it is" would work the best.

Of course this makes banking a challenge. Maybe the next project should be a bunch of encoders like Code and the touch strips like base? That would make a pretty cool banking digital mixer.

Also whenever I hear "ergo". https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... ZBS1U#t=62